Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Lenses 
Thread started 15 Jan 2011 (Saturday) 21:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

And the Sigma auto focus issues continue !

m.shalaby
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,443 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 16, 2011 19:20 |  #46

DreDaze wrote in post #11653468 (external link)
So 11 bad 50mm lenses, and one person shooting them all...kinda makes you wonder...I'm just saying- if I had to bet my life on it, I don't think you'll be happy with your next 50mm...

i'm starting to feel the love.

to respons yes - now that I have MA, i feel I will be fine with my next CANON 50.

and yes sir, 11 lenses.
8 sigmas in the store with noticible back or front focusing with simple battery testing
1 sigma i thought was good, 'passed battery test' until i actually used it in real life where i had more mis shot than i've ever seen.

i'm no idiot. i'm not a fool and don't understand what i'm doing. no, rather on the flip side, i'm very particular

yes, focus and recompose may not be the perfect solution and i'll use the points next time... but cmon guys, did you even read my post # 40 ??

how can i not be unsatisfied when i'm tripod mounted and shoot 5 shots off on the same subject (same everything, camera settings, distance from subject, everything...) and 2-3 OOF ???

the previous 2 canons, i didn't have MA on my 60D so if it was a simple and very comon front/back focus i couldn't of fixed it. i demanded perfection from the Canons because of this. now with my 7D, i'm sure my next Canon 50 will be just fine after a little MA

but sigma... sorry, 2-3 out of 5 without changing a thing is not back/front focusing errors. thats just focus shift. i can't have that.

sponsored links
m.shalaby
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,443 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 16, 2011 19:21 |  #47

hieu1004 wrote in post #11654741 (external link)
^I'm sure it's because there has been an abundance of AF issue threads lately w/users using the focus/recompose method wide open. More times than not, it is the user's fault (not saying your lens is not at fault). Like myself, he has has used both L primes and Sigma primes and can vouch for their amazing performance. I've used A LOT of lenses and have had maybe two bad ones so it's not impossible, but definitely not likely... You just need to ensure that factors you can control are not affecting the results... With the 60D you had, you said the Sigma performed pretty well, so have you thought it might be your new camera? Have you tried any other primes on the 7D?

read my post # 40 - takes focus/recompose out the window as being the problem

and yes,i just got new Canon 85 1.8 that performs flawlessly thus far.

ive done about 100 shots around my house and only saw perhaps 3 or 4 OOF and that was probably due to the subject not having the greatest contrast.

hieu1004
Goldmember
3,579 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jan 16, 2011 19:23 |  #48

I read it.... it doesn't mean much. Different lenses perform differently on different bodies.

-Hieu
Gear | Blog (external link) | flickr (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
40,285 posts
Gallery: 116 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jan 16, 2011 19:25 |  #49

mdgrwl wrote in post #11653082 (external link)
I'm done with Sigma. I was up for hours last night MA adjusting my lens. When I think I got it right, I went out today to do some real world shots and had a 50% keeper rate.

I would focus on the same thing and not change a thing (position, aperature, ect...) and shoot 5 shots off. The focus would shift each shot, and I would only get 1 real sharp shot. Just 1, perhaps 2 keepers. I did this at multiple distances and aperatures. Fired off 5 shots, 1-2 keepers. Crazy. A 50% keeper rate is unacceptable.

Then that would not be lens, the camera tells the lens the focus positions to set to, so if you were in AI Servo, and the focus kept shifting around, that would be your 7D, most likely. AI Servo shouldn't be so twitchy if you changed nothing and the scene wasn't changing.

Did you lock in a focus point, or did you let the camera choose?

Set your mode to One Shot, set the center point, and shoot in manual with many test shots, see if you get more consistent results.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
"Man only has 5 senses, and sometimes not even that, so if they define the world, the universe, the dimensions of existence, and spirituality with just these limited senses, their view of what-is and what-can-be is very myopic indeed and they are doomed, now and forever."

m.shalaby
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,443 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 16, 2011 19:27 |  #50

TeamSpeed wrote in post #11654772 (external link)
Then that would not be lens, the camera tells the lens the focus positions to set to, so if you were in AI Servo, and the focus kept shifting around, that would be your 7D, most likely. AI Servo shouldn't be so twitchy if you changed nothing and the scene wasn't changing.

Did you lock in a focus point, or did you let the camera choose?

Set your mode to One Shot, set the center point, and shoot in manual with many test shots, see if you get more consistent results.

i manually selected the center AF point. i did both spot and regular.

m.shalaby
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,443 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 16, 2011 19:28 |  #51

hieu1004 wrote in post #11654756 (external link)
I read it.... it doesn't mean much. Different lenses perform differently on different bodies.

a possibility

but with the reputation of Sigma and bad focusing lenses being so abundant, mainly wiht Canon bodies (much less issues with Nikon it seems) i'm going to blame the Sigma lens and not my 7D. especially when my other two lenses perform just fine on it (17-55 and now new 85 1.8)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
40,285 posts
Gallery: 116 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jan 16, 2011 19:29 |  #52

AI Servo or One Shot?

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
"Man only has 5 senses, and sometimes not even that, so if they define the world, the universe, the dimensions of existence, and spirituality with just these limited senses, their view of what-is and what-can-be is very myopic indeed and they are doomed, now and forever."

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Jan 16, 2011 19:29 |  #53

mdgrwl wrote in post #11654744 (external link)
how can i not be unsatisfied when i'm tripod mounted and shoot 5 shots off on the same subject (same everything, camera settings, distance from subject, everything...) and 2-3 OOF ???

but sigma... sorry, 2-3 out of 5 without changing a thing is not back/front focusing errors. thats just focus shift. i can't have that.

Referring back to the above test.
Is the lens refocusing (or trying to refocus) between shots? Is the lens hunting whilst trying to lock focus? Are you using AI Servo focusing?

Jurgen
50D~EOS M50 MkII~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

yogestee
13,845 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jan 16, 2011 19:30 |  #54

mdgrwl wrote in post #11654792 (external link)
a possibility

but with the reputation of Sigma and bad focusing lenses being so abundant, i'm going to blame the lens and not my 7D. especially when my other two lenses perform just fine on it (17-55 and now new 85 1.8)

A very probable..

I think it's a bout time you post a few pics,, especially of your testing setup..

Jurgen

hieu1004
Goldmember
3,579 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jan 16, 2011 19:32 |  #55

mdgrwl wrote in post #11654792 (external link)
a possibility

but with the reputation of Sigma and bad focusing lenses being so abundant, mainly wiht Canon bodies (much less issues with Nikon it seems) i'm going to blame the Sigma lens and not my 7D. especially when my other two lenses perform just fine on it (17-55 and now new 85 1.8)

Don't let the internet feed your mind with BS..sometimes when you go in with a preconceived notion, it comes true..lol.. Come to think of it, I've had more trouble with Canon lenses than with Sigmas.

-Hieu
Gear | Blog (external link) | flickr (external link)

m.shalaby
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,443 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 16, 2011 19:33 |  #56

yogestee wrote in post #11654799 (external link)
Referring back to the above test.
Is the lens refocusing (or trying to refocus) between shots? Is the lens hunting whilst trying to lock focus? Are you using AI Servo focusing?

no, one shot drive method, no AI Servo

the lens wouldn't hunt whatsoever

i would fire 5 shots off in a row without moving the focus point at all

then i tried a different method where i shot 5 shots off, but in between i would focus on something else, then re-focus on my subject to give it a "fresh" focus. same thing. 2-3 of 5 OOF

guys really... why does this thread supprise you so much? Sigma has been reported on by hundreds to have horrible compatibility issues with Canon bodies.

m.shalaby
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,443 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 16, 2011 19:34 |  #57

yogestee wrote in post #11654803 (external link)
A very probable..

I think it's a bout time you post a few pics,, especially of your testing setup..

test set up is gone from this morning, along with my sigma lens (returned in exchange for my 85 1.8)

i spelled out exactly what i did. i feel no need to subject myself to more criticism

yogestee
13,845 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jan 16, 2011 19:35 |  #58

mdgrwl wrote in post #11654819 (external link)
guys really... why does this thread supprise you so much? Sigma has been reported on by hundreds to have horrible compatibility issues with Canon bodies.

Only by hundreds out of the tens of thousands lenses produced??

Jurgen

m.shalaby
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,443 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 16, 2011 19:37 |  #59

yogestee wrote in post #11654833 (external link)
Only by hundreds out of the tens of thousands lenses produced??

sigh.... :rolleyes:

alright - i'm done

i throw in the towel.

TGrundvig
Goldmember
2,876 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 16, 2011 19:38 |  #60

Huh, this is interesting because my Sigma lenses focus just fine for me and I have four different bodies...1D2, 50D, 40D, and Rebel XT....and no problems getting sharp images from my Sigma lenses.

1Ds Mk II, 1D Mk II, 50D, 40D, XT (for my son), 17-40L, 24-105L, Bigma 50-500 EX DG, Sigma 150 Macro EX DG, Tokina 12-24 AT-X, Nifty Fifty, Tamron 28-300 (for my son), 580ex II, 430ex II

sponsored links

10,618 views & 0 likes for this thread
And the Sigma auto focus issues continue !
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.