Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 15 Jan 2011 (Saturday) 11:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Any Input Appreciated

Flo
Gimmie Some Lovin
44,987 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 16, 2011 11:59 as a reply to  @ post 11652274 |  #16

Sorry, the compression is killing your edit.too much blur.I also see mirror images? Weird.

OP.do what you need to do.its your gift;)

you're a great friend, but if Zombies chase us, I am tripping you.

sponsored links
HazYleaF
84 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 16, 2011 12:08 |  #17

I was just giving him an Idea of what he could do, since he has the original PSD... and the ghost imaging behind was meant to be there.... ..LOL.. .like I said just throwin' him Ideas... wasn't meant to replace his .

Man with a Camera and Lens
And a Whole lot of Heart.. Hee Hee !!

tom30
THREAD ­ STARTER
79 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jan 17, 2011 09:35 as a reply to  @ HazYleaF's post |  #18

I went a different way with the latest version which is somewhat like HazYleaF was suggesting. It is a simplier looking picture without all the clutter I had in the first version.

Flo, all those names included in the previous version were just to show different color options. I only intend to use his name once. This latest version does use an oval vignette, but on the whole picture. I am not sure how to tone down the bright whites of the babe picture as when I try with levels or curves, it just makes it dull and smudged/dirty looking.

I got Carl's hands in as suggested but it wasn't easy. As I said in my earlier post, he did not have on suit pants so I originally cropped that out which included his hands. So, I took a picture of myself with suit pants on, grey but not a match to his. I cropped out his arms and hands from a picture I had taken and pasted it onto the picture of myself. I edited that picture and pasted it onto the original picture without the hands. I had to erase and do a lot of cloning to get it as is. Is it passable or should I use the original photo?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

https://photography-on-the.net …?p=5115645&post​count=1084

Flo
Gimmie Some Lovin
44,987 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 17, 2011 09:56 as a reply to  @ tom30's post |  #19

Yep.this is it..good on you for trying and trying.lol.He will be happy with this..:D

you're a great friend, but if Zombies chase us, I am tripping you.

HazYleaF
84 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 17, 2011 12:30 |  #20

Looks good to me...

LettieVonDread
331 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 17, 2011 14:50 |  #21

OK the birthdates kind of seem like birth and death dates. He's still alive right? It might be too memorial card-ish.

tom30
THREAD ­ STARTER
79 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jan 17, 2011 19:11 as a reply to  @ LettieVonDread's post |  #22

Thanks Flo and HazYleaF.

Lettie, the family is planning a big public birthday celebration on or about his birthday. A 16 x 20 of my print will be on display, so I put the dates in there to show the birthdate and the current "Today" date pointing out the 100 year time frame. I see your point, but I don't think anyone will think the Today date implies some kind of memorial tribute. Maybe I could include the text Happy Birthday! at the bottom after pushing things up a bit to make room.

Ok, I've taken up enough of everyone's time. Thanks for all your advice and I'll take it from here. You were a big help in helping me get my mind around what to do.

kjonnnn
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jan 17, 2011 19:30 |  #23

Instead of side by side... Make him the main photo, in a portrait orientation ...use the baby photo in the back ground behind him with a lower opacity.
Add a softened drop shadow to him.
The side by side, and before and now.. seems more like an Obituary. If you want to say 100 years something thats kool. But something like Celebration 100 Years, or something like that...
Maybe find some swirlies on the net to give the depth to the background.

The key to these types of things is to create depth and layers.

Peano
Goldmember
1,753 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 17, 2011 20:07 |  #24

tom30 wrote in post #11646539 (external link)
The picture is saved as a psd, so all the layers can be easily edited. The wording is his along with the picture choice on the left. If anyone has any advice on how to improve the picture regarding the layout, color scheme or whatever, I would appreciate any ideas.

EDIT: Note, I was commenting on your original post. I didn't see the re-design. The main problem I see with that one is that you have six distinct elements sort of floating in space. Your design needs to more closely relate the elements that belong together, and also unify them all as a package. Your second version doesn't do that.

Too many fonts ... I count three, or four not sure.

The font color for his name merges with the background where the layout is divided.

The mix of colors just doesn't work. Go to Kuler (external link) and try a combination from there. Lots of possibilities.

The vertical "and" in a rectangle with a gradient really doesn't work, design-wise.

I'm not recommending these colors, but maybe a simpler arrangement like this that ties all the elements together ...

IMAGE: http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/5017/baumgart.jpg

---
Peano
RadiantPics.com (external link)

Mark ­ II
Goldmember
2,153 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 17, 2011 20:37 as a reply to  @ post 11652274 |  #25

One thing is for sure.

Carl has seen a lot more changes than this thread ever will.

Tell him happy birthday ..... the elderly is the foundation of Americas pride (whats left of it).

1DX7D - 40D IR converted Sony RX100,
Canon 85 L II, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, EF 24-105L, 16-35mm f/2.8 II L, 100L & 60mm Macro , Fisheye EF 15mm f2.8, Tokina 10-17

Peano
Goldmember
1,753 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 17, 2011 20:40 |  #26

Mark II wrote in post #11662292 (external link)
One thing is for sure.

Carl has seen a lot more changes than this thread ever will.

Tell him happy birthday ..... the elderly is the foundation of Americas pride (whats left of it).

Hear, hear! Happy Birthday, congratulations, and best wishes to Carl.

---
Peano
RadiantPics.com (external link)

tom30
THREAD ­ STARTER
79 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jan 18, 2011 05:43 as a reply to  @ Peano's post |  #27

Thanks all for the birthday wishes and the new ideas.

Uncle Carl has a sharp mind and a remarkable memory. Although aware of them, he never has had the opportuntiy to learn about computers and the Internet. I will definitely pass along the birthday greetings as he will be amazed and pleased that perfect strangers from places like Washington, D.C. and Texas are wishing him a Happy Birthday.

HazYleaF
84 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 28, 2011 07:45 |  #28

Hey Tom, Congrats to your Uncle Carl Today.... I just saw his picture this morning on the TODAY show... 100 Years, the changes he must've seen in this Country, heck, in this World, for that matter. again ConGratS!!!!

sponsored links

2,788 views & 0 likes for this thread
Any Input Appreciated
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.