Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 18 Jan 2011 (Tuesday) 01:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sigma 50mm f1.4 vs Canon 50mm f1.4?

pxchoi
Goldmember
1,146 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 18, 2011 01:31 |  #1

Which do you prefer and why?

Patrick Choi
Portfolio (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)
EOS 7D | 580EX II | 10-22mm f3.5-f4.5 | 17-55mm f/2.8 IS |70-200mm f/2.8L IS II
For Sale: 17-55mm f/2.8 IS | 10-22mm f3.5-f4.5

sponsored links
larryvill
65 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jan 18, 2011 04:08 |  #2

pxchoi wrote in post #11663715 (external link)

I'm still on this dilemma... I so badly wanted to give the Sigma a shot since its design and engineering is relatively fresh compared to the "old" engineering of canon 50mm 1.4.. but as my friend would put it, "if canon is not updating it and it is still selling, then it must be really good..."

anthony11
Goldmember
2,148 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 18, 2011 04:30 |  #3

It's sold because there hasn't been much of an alternative.

5D2, 24-105L, 85mm f/1.8, MP960, HG21, crumbling G6+R72, Brownian toddler

larryvill
65 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jan 18, 2011 04:58 |  #4

anthony11 wrote in post #11664154 (external link)

Is Sigma a worthy alternative on this regard?

Bang ­ Bang ­ Boy
Goldmember
1,347 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 18, 2011 05:53 |  #5

Apparently the Sigma is very good. I have myself been eyeballing it lately and might just purchase it in a month or so. This month my paycheck is going towards a camera.

Lots of old stuff but hey I am a student
Photojournalist in Johannesburg.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,183 posts
Gallery: 116 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jan 18, 2011 05:53 |  #6

larryvill wrote in post #11664098 (external link)
I'm still on this dilemma... I so badly wanted to give the Sigma a shot since its design and engineering is relatively fresh compared to the "old" engineering of canon 50mm 1.4.. but as my friend would put it, "if canon is not updating it and it is still selling, then it must be really good..."

Then perhaps your friend can analyze why the Canon design has such a high AF mechanism failure rate where the AF track deflects due to age and use, and locks up eventually. :) Alot of times companies don't change up their products, because as long as they sell, regardless of the engineering defects that may exist in that product line, they don't really have to update the product.

If you would like to see a review of both lenses, click the Mini-Review link in my signature, I did a back to back comparison.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Rsyx
619 posts
Joined May 2010

Jan 18, 2011 06:28 |  #7

TeamSpeed wrote in post #11664350 (external link)
Then perhaps your friend can analyze why the Canon design has such a high AF mechanism failure rate where the AF track deflects due to age and use, and locks up eventually. :) Alot of times companies don't change up their products, because as long as they sell, regardless of the engineering defects that may exist in that product line, they don't really have to update the product.

If you would like to see a review of both lenses, click the Mini-Review link in my signature, I did a back to back comparison.

You say that Canon doesn't change the 50mm f/1.4 because it still sells. Why does it still sell when there are decent alternatives out there then? It doesn't make sense to say that people keep buying a lens if there's a €100 alternative or other lenses that are much better for more money.

Also, a company doesn't benefit from having a bad lens in its line-up. Canon has competitors like Nikon that will take a lot of clients if the Canon brand is damaged - Canon therefore benefits from maintaining a positive image. If the lens would really be horrible and break after a short period of time, the damage that would be done to the company's image would probably far outweigh the relatively small benefits of selling the lens or the costs of improving it.

5D II + ZE 50 MP

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,183 posts
Gallery: 116 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jan 18, 2011 06:31 |  #8

Rsyx wrote in post #11664416 (external link)
You say that Canon doesn't change the 50mm f/1.4 because it still sells. Why does it still sell when there are decent alternatives out there then? It doesn't make sense to say that people keep buying a lens if there's a €100 alternative or other lenses that are much better for more money.

Also, a company doesn't benefit from having a bad lens in its line-up. Canon has competitors like Nikon that will take a lot of clients if the Canon brand is damaged - Canon therefore benefits from maintaining a positive image. If the lens would really be horrible and break after a short period of time, the damage that would be done to the company's image would probably far outweigh the relatively small benefits of selling the lens or the costs of improving it.

It sells because it is economical and it has the Canon badge on it. Other than that, you should ask those that buy it why they buy it. It certainly makes sense to say "people keep buying it" because it is reality, not fiction. ???

Facts: 1) people buy the lens even though there is an alternative and 2) the lens has a historical long-term defect that affects a discernible percentage of the sold lenses and 3) Canon hasn't updated this lens in a very long time.

There are several lenses in Canon's lineup that are known to be less than stellar in both IQ and build quality, yet they still sell and it hasn't sullied Canon's reputation. You may not agree with the economics and business sense of the situation, but it is what it is.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

twoshadows
Liquid Nitrogen
7,059 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 18, 2011 06:53 |  #9

pxchoi wrote in post #11663715 (external link)

As I recently told someone, there were 3 factors that led to my buying the Sigma over the Canon:

-Canon's history of AF failure
-Sigma's bokeh and rendering
-Sigma's longer warranty

I've owned good copies of both and they are very close in IQ (except for the bokeh). I like that the Canon is smaller, but that wasn't enough to convince me.

xgender.net (external link) Miss Julia Grey (she/her/Miss)
OST, API, PPP & MLI explained (external link)

Bang ­ Bang ­ Boy
Goldmember
1,347 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 18, 2011 07:03 |  #10

Damn, I so badly want to jump the gun on the sigma right now but first I am gonna go for a full frame camera. Will have to pick up a fifty nifty meanwhile, heck those fifties probably come with an offer to buy one get one for free.

Lots of old stuff but hey I am a student
Photojournalist in Johannesburg.

Rsyx
619 posts
Joined May 2010

Jan 18, 2011 07:17 |  #11

TeamSpeed wrote in post #11664422 (external link)
It sells because it is economical and it has the Canon badge on it. Other than that, you should ask those that buy it why they buy it. It certainly makes sense to say "people keep buying it" because it is reality, not fiction. ???

Facts: 1) people buy the lens even though there is an alternative and 2) the lens has a historical long-term defect that affects a discernible percentage of the sold lenses and 3) Canon hasn't updated this lens in a very long time.

There are several lenses in Canon's lineup that are known to be less than stellar in both IQ and build quality, yet they still sell and it hasn't sullied Canon's reputation. You may not agree with the economics and business sense of the situation, but it is what it is.

I didn't say that it doesn't make sense to say that 'people keep buying it', but to say that 'people keep buying a lens despite it being an inferior product'. ;)

There are too many options out there (50 1.8, 50 1.8 II, 50 2.5 CM, 50 1.2), if it was a lens that didn't deserve a place in the Canon line-up it would make much more sense to discontinue or update it for the brands' sake. This is the top-down point of view.

The various lenses within Canon's own line-up, but also the lenses that third party manufacturers offer, are competing with one another to end up in the photographer's lens bag. In a "competitive market" like this, a non-competitive offering would not survive by my reasoning. I have no facts to prove this nor do I know about the exact number of failures that occur and after how much time unfortunately. If you are in the possession of these figures, I would love to see them.

I have yet to try the Canon 50mm f/1.4 as well as the Sigma 50mm f/1.4, but based on the rendering and the samples I've seen I would personally prefer the Canon one. This is all highly subject to personal taste of course. :D

5D II + ZE 50 MP

hieu1004
Goldmember
3,579 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jan 18, 2011 07:26 |  #12

I've owned both pretty recently. I prefer the Sigma because my copy was sharper wide open and the bokeh was better for me (not as edgy as the Canon).

-Hieu
Gear | Blog (external link) | flickr (external link)

DDL
453 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 18, 2011 08:41 |  #13

anthony11 wrote in post #11664154 (external link)

To clarify I would have stated there isn't an alternative at that price point.

You can pay less for the Canon 50mm f1.8 and get a less robust lens.

You can pay more for the Sigma 50f1.4 for a better quality lens in build and photo quality (at least in my opinion) which may need more microadjustment on Canon bodies than would a Canon lens.

You can pay a lot more for the Canon 50mm f1.2L and get a much better build quality plus better bokeh with the possibility of slightly slower focus and focus shift.

DDL

GearList

ADAMSDJR
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 18, 2011 09:10 |  #14

Just tried a sigma 50 1.4 on my 1d4 and 7d. With micro adjust I could get the lens to focus accurately on nearby subject (about 3 to 7'), but then it would not focus accurately at long distance. I could also make it do the reverse. I decided to return it and it is on the way back now. Not how I wanted it to work out but it is what it is.

m.shalaby
Goldmember
3,443 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 18, 2011 09:51 as a reply to  @ ADAMSDJR's post |  #15

Really, I would explore other options if you could. I just went though this same thing the past few months.

Canon
-good: reliable AF
- bad: soft under 2.0 - nervous bokeh

Sigma
- good: IQ is great, sharp, nice bokeh
- bad: AF issues yielding unreliable and many missed shots

Now for a little tangent - there's really NO solid 50mm choice out there for Canon!! Totally sux! The 1.8 is well, the 1.8. The 1.4 isn't mind blowing, the Sigma has AF issues, and so does the Canon 50L.

I've pretty much give up on a 50mm (at the moment) and decided to go with a 35mm & 85mm and move my feet to bridge the gap.

sponsored links

4,181 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sigma 50mm f1.4 vs Canon 50mm f1.4?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.