Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 17 Jan 2011 (Monday) 17:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What travel angel head?

ddb
179 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jan 17, 2011 17:27 |  #1

I've been searching the reviews here and on other sites regarding the Benro Travel Angel tripods. Can anyone give me the pros and cons of the different ballheads? I see that there are the single action B series and the dual action BH series. It seems that the single action would be the easiest to use but there must be some advantages to the dual action. Any comments from someone that has either or both would help me decide.

5DMk1, 60D, 17-40L, 24-105L, 100-400L, Tamron 90mm macro, nifty-fifty, 70-210, Panasonic G1, 14-45, 45-200 www.endshot.com (external link)

sponsored links
MOkoFOko
nut impotent and avoiding Geoff
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jan 17, 2011 17:29 |  #2

ddb wrote in post #11661055 (external link)
I've been searching the reviews here and on other sites regarding the Benro Travel Angel tripods. Can anyone give me the pros and cons of the different ballheads? I see that there are the single action B series and the dual action BH series. It seems that the single action would be the easiest to use but there must be some advantages to the dual action. Any comments from someone that has either or both would help me decide.

Most who are willing to spend the money go with the Markins Q3t for this tripod setup. The cheapest alternative is usually the Benro B-x line of ballheads. I posted an image comparing the specs of all the B-x ballheads in the B-0 thread.

My Gearlist

LostInInaka
500 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 18, 2011 00:45 |  #3

I have a Benro J-2 ballhead (an upgrade from the B-series) and it does reasonable well. It locks tight, it is semi-smooth and tends to work well overall. The only real complaint I have for it is that it sometimes locks up tight and I either have to try and over loosen or over tighten the knobs to loosen it up again which until I figured out was frustrating and led to lots of missed shots :(

However, I did just order the Markins Q3T yesterday and should have it by tomorrow as its lighter and supposedly much more durable (j-2 was my first and only ballhead, so I have no comparisons...yet)

so the benros can be ok...would never call them great though

5DmkIII | Rokinon 35mm f/1.4 | Canon 16-35mm f/2.8L mk II | Canon 24mm f/1.4L mk II | Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L mk II | Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L | Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS mk II | + Misc
flickr (external link)

MOkoFOko
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jan 18, 2011 00:54 |  #4

LostInInaka wrote in post #11663563 (external link)
I have a Benro J-2 ballhead (an upgrade from the B-series) and it does reasonable well. It locks tight, it is semi-smooth and tends to work well overall. The only real complaint I have for it is that it sometimes locks up tight and I either have to try and over loosen or over tighten the knobs to loosen it up again which until I figured out was frustrating and led to lots of missed shots :(

However, I did just order the Markins Q3T yesterday and should have it by tomorrow as its lighter and supposedly much more durable (j-2 was my first and only ballhead, so I have no comparisons...yet)

so the benros can be ok...would never call them great though

The j-2 is a big honkin' ballhead. It's not even in the same league as the b-00/0/1 ballheads. I wouldn't see how it would be superior to the B-1 with its 27# load limit, lighter weight, and smaller overall size.

I'm with you on the Q3t--I've thought about switching to that, but I'm not sure it's worth the $250 investment when the B-0 does everything I need with my 100-400 + 1d2n

My Gearlist

LostInInaka
500 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 18, 2011 01:49 |  #5

MOkoFOko wrote in post #11663594 (external link)
The j-2 is a big honkin' ballhead. It's not even in the same league as the b-00/0/1 ballheads. I wouldn't see how it would be superior to the B-1 with its 27# load limit, lighter weight, and smaller overall size.

I'm with you on the Q3t--I've thought about switching to that, but I'm not sure it's worth the $250 investment when the B-0 does everything I need with my 100-400 + 1d2n

haha yes it is, just giving the info on my benro experience

and that's one of the reasons I just bought the Markins....much better suited for my travel tripod and (hopefully) much smoother

5DmkIII | Rokinon 35mm f/1.4 | Canon 16-35mm f/2.8L mk II | Canon 24mm f/1.4L mk II | Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L mk II | Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L | Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS mk II | + Misc
flickr (external link)

MOkoFOko
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jan 18, 2011 02:06 |  #6

LostInInaka wrote in post #11663781 (external link)
haha yes it is, just giving the info on my benro experience

and that's one of the reasons I just bought the Markins....much better suited for my travel tripod and (hopefully) much smoother

I'm sure it is. I read a very good review that compared ballheads for the travel angel series, including the B-x, BH, and markins lines... the Q3t was highly recommended.

My Gearlist

peter_n
Goldmember
2,442 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 18, 2011 08:17 |  #7

In general it seems that tripod manufacturers don't make good ballheads and vice versa. I use a Benro C2680T travel tripod with a Markins Q3T head and the combo is great. The nearest thing to a Markins I've used is a Photo Clam ballhead, also from S. Korea. They're less expensive than the Markins but well made and long-term users on this forum seem to like them.

You can reduce the cost of a Markins Q3T by up to $50 by sourcing the ballhead directly from S. Korea through an eBay dealer. It brings the price of the Markins down to the equivalent Photo Clam head. Well worth looking at as an option and the one drawback, if you want to call it that, is you have to send the ballhead back to S. Korea for service if it breaks.

~Peter

ddb
THREAD ­ STARTER
179 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jan 18, 2011 15:26 |  #8

Thanks for all the info. Think I'll go with the Benro head. I have a super heavy Manfrotto that I've carried for years (weighs 10 lbs with head) Just looking for something fairly inexpensive that I can use with the 5D and the Panasonic G1 that I bought recently.

5DMk1, 60D, 17-40L, 24-105L, 100-400L, Tamron 90mm macro, nifty-fifty, 70-210, Panasonic G1, 14-45, 45-200 www.endshot.com (external link)

MOkoFOko
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jan 18, 2011 15:27 |  #9

peter_n wrote in post #11664753 (external link)
In general it seems that tripod manufacturers don't make good ballheads and vice versa. I use a Benro C2680T travel tripod with a Markins Q3T head and the combo is great. The nearest thing to a Markins I've used is a Photo Clam ballhead, also from S. Korea. They're less expensive than the Markins but well made and long-term users on this forum seem to like them.

You can reduce the cost of a Markins Q3T by up to $50 by sourcing the ballhead directly from S. Korea through an eBay dealer. It brings the price of the Markins down to the equivalent Photo Clam head. Well worth looking at as an option and the one drawback, if you want to call it that, is you have to send the ballhead back to S. Korea for service if it breaks.

I found the same thing as I was researching potential ballheads. Came down to clamheads, q3t, and B-0/1 for me. In the end, the lowest price with equivalent specs won out for me It wasn't even close--the b-0/1 models are less than half the clam/q3t prices on ebay.

My Gearlist

peter_n
Goldmember
2,442 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 18, 2011 16:09 |  #10

For me the choice would be driven by the diameter of the ball.

~Peter

crcal
808 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 18, 2011 17:05 as a reply to  @ peter_n's post |  #11

I'm very satisfied with my Photoclam PC-36NS. I had a Markins Q3T prior to it and they are both very similar.

Calvin
Converted to Sony A7 and love it | Gear & Feedback

LostInInaka
500 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 18, 2011 18:31 |  #12

I ended up buy my markins from the Japanese Markin's website...for the same price as buying from ebay or a little more (about 2000 yen) direct from s. korea....now I don't have to worry as much about warranty issues

also, I wanted red and for some odd reason the red/blue aren't available with the level clamp in SK...

might pick up a photo clam when I'm there in July though...

flickr (external link)

MOkoFOko
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jan 18, 2011 21:56 |  #13

LostInInaka wrote in post #11668586 (external link)
I ended up buy my markins from the Japanese Markin's website...for the same price as buying from ebay or a little more (about 2000 yen) direct from s. korea....now I don't have to worry as much about warranty issues

also, I wanted red and for some odd reason the red/blue aren't available with the level clamp in SK...

might pick up a photo clam when I'm there in July though...

When it comes to warranties, it's things with electronics inside that concern me. Ballheads are mostly rock solid--they shouldn't fail or go bad, unless you specifically mistreat them

My Gearlist

sponsored links

2,114 views & 0 likes for this thread
What travel angel head?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.