Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 20 Jan 2011 (Thursday) 16:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Focussing Screen for TSE24 f3.5

big_g
Goldmember
1,064 posts
Gallery: 418 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 20, 2011 16:02 |  #1

Just ordered a TSE 24 and am concerned about focussing it on my 5D2

I am very happy with manual focus, I was brought up on it back in film days, but always used a split prism type focussing screen back then.

As the TSE lens is fairly slow, f3.5, will the optional 5D2 precision focussing screen be OK as even the sales information says it makes the viewfinder dark and is recommended for 2.8 or faster lenses

What do other people on here use? I'm trying to avoid using liveview or anglefinders all the time as I would like to handhold the lens sometimes

Very lucky to have a lot of nice toys :)
Flickr Site (external link)

sponsored links
gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
13,432 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jan 20, 2011 16:05 |  #2

I think the standard screen and LiveView 10x will be yoru friends.

GEAR LIST

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,643 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009

Jan 20, 2011 16:05 |  #3

I think the normal precision screen should be fine. (I'm speaking with no direct knowledge here as I don't have my TS-E yet)

It may appear a bit darker in your VF, but if you install the screen before you use your TS-E, you won't even know any different! ;-)a

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,565 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 20, 2011 16:19 |  #4

Tilt shift work and Live View are a match made in heaven. I have the Ec-B and Ec-S screens but nothing beats Live view with TS-E lenses.

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photography (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

big_g
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,064 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 20, 2011 16:21 as a reply to  @ picturecrazy's post |  #5

Looks like I will be using live view all weekend when I get home and unwrap my new baby :D:D

Quite excited to have some really interesting adjustments to experiment with

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,643 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009

Jan 20, 2011 16:29 |  #6

<---- Jealous!

big_g
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,064 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 20, 2011 16:56 as a reply to  @ Todd Lambert's post |  #7

Sorry :D

But your girlfriend/wife/partne​r, probably isn't so jealous

LostInInaka
500 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 21, 2011 02:03 |  #8

picturecrazy wrote in post #11680670 (external link)
Tilt shift work and Live View are a match made in heaven. I have the Ec-B and Ec-S screens but nothing beats Live view with TS-E lenses.

this exactly! live view plu 10x zoom for sharp focusing....even with a screen installed the view finder would work, but is much smaller compared to LV

5DmkIII | Rokinon 35mm f/1.4 | Canon 16-35mm f/2.8L mk II | Canon 24mm f/1.4L mk II | Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L mk II | Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L | Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS mk II | + Misc
flickr (external link)

ken2000ac
Goldmember
1,405 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 21, 2011 10:39 |  #9

picturecrazy wrote in post #11680670 (external link)

I'll second that notion.

The precision focusing screen helps with all my lenses, but the LV is particularly helpful with the TS-E. If in doubt, get one.

flickr (external link)
5DSR | 1N RS | TS-E 24L II | 70-300L

Rsyx
619 posts
Joined May 2010

Jan 21, 2011 12:22 |  #10

I used to have a 24mm TS-E on my 40D and liked using it with the Ef-S precision screen. I guess the VF was a bit darker, but not to the point that it became annoying.

5D II + ZE 50 MP

Mundty
Goldmember
1,125 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 21, 2011 12:36 |  #11

big_g wrote in post #11680582 (external link)
Just ordered a TSE 24 and am concerned about focussing it on my 5D2

I am very happy with manual focus, I was brought up on it back in film days, but always used a split prism type focussing screen back then.

As the TSE lens is fairly slow, f3.5, will the optional 5D2 precision focussing screen be OK as even the sales information says it makes the viewfinder dark and is recommended for 2.8 or faster lenses

What do other people on here use? I'm trying to avoid using liveview or anglefinders all the time as I would like to handhold the lens sometimes

I love my EG-S Screen. I've never used it on anything slower than f/2.8, but I can assure you they help with MF work a lot! I guess my View Finder might have gotten a little darker, I dunno I never really noticed. I'm more worried about Focus Accuracy than the View Finder getting 5% darker.

www.mikemundt.com (external link)
EOS 5D Mark II | Canon 24-70 f/2.8L | Speedlite 430EX II | Manfrotto MT293A4 & 494 Tripod
Interests: Environmental Portraits | Urban/Travel | Wildlife | Landscape | Celestial | Experimental

sponsored links

1,508 views & 0 likes for this thread
Focussing Screen for TSE24 f3.5
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.