Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 20 Jan 2011 (Thursday) 13:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Novatron 240- Can you explain this?

TPock
253 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 20, 2011 13:16 |  #1

These did not come w/ a manual and from what I have read on this forum there may not be one. Can someone explain what the 1, 2 and on button mean for each side?

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i681.photobucke​t.com …pock/miscnikonp​ics002.jpg (external link)

And what does the 120 and 240 & on anf off mean?
PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i681.photobucke​t.com …pock/miscnikonp​ics001.jpg (external link)

Thanks so much!

~~Traci~~

sponsored links
Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,702 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 20, 2011 19:03 |  #2

Educated guess...

(First photo)
Head control for Full output/-2EV (1/4 power)/-1EV (1/2 power)
Head control for modelling light output/-2EV (1/4 power)/-1EV (1/2 power)

Second photo)
Modelling light: On/Off
Flash power from pack: 240 w-s/120 w-s

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

FlashZebra
This space available
4,427 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jan 20, 2011 19:21 |  #3

Wilt wrote in post #11681654 (external link)
Educated guess...

(First photo)
Head control for Full output/-2EV (1/4 power)/-1EV (1/2 power)
Head control for modeling light output/-2EV (1/4 power)/-1EV (1/2 power)

Second photo)
Modeling light: On/Off
Flash power from pack: 240 w-s/120 w-s

As you would expect, Wilt is absolutely correct.

One unintuitive caution:

If you use only one flash head, do not use the reduced power levels on the flash head.

In other words, if you use only one flash head, you must use only the "on" position (full power) for the flash tube.

Enjoy! Lon

http://flashzebra.com/ (external link)

TPock
THREAD ­ STARTER
253 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 20, 2011 19:27 as a reply to  @ FlashZebra's post |  #4

Thank you both so much!

~~Traci~~

breal101
Goldmember
2,724 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 20, 2011 19:34 |  #5

Both Wilt and Lon are right on, just another note in case you don't know. Novatrons are not arc protected, always turn the pack off and fire the strobe before disconnecting the head from the pack. Never plug a head into the pack with the pack on.

"Try to go out empty and let your images fill you up." Jay Maisel

TPock
THREAD ­ STARTER
253 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 20, 2011 21:37 |  #6

breal101 wrote in post #11681831 (external link)
Both Wilt and Lon are right on, just another note in case you don't know. Novatrons are not arc protected, always turn the pack off and fire the strobe before disconnecting the head from the pack. Never plug a head into the pack with the pack on.

Thanks so much for this. I do have questions to make sure I understand what you are explaining. What is arc protected? The pack is the box, right? If the pack is off, how would I get the strobe to fire? What would happen if I don't do this?

Again thank you!

~~Traci~~

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,881 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Jan 20, 2011 22:26 |  #7

FlashZebra wrote in post #11681753 (external link)
As you would expect, Wilt is absolutely correct.

One unintuitive caution:

If you use only one flash head, do not use the reduced power levels on the flash head.

In other words, if you use only one flash head, you must use only the "on" position (full power) for the flash tube.

Enjoy! Lon

Just out of curiosity, why must a single head be only used at full power? What's going to happen if it's accidentally set to "120"?

...Leo

FlashZebra
This space available
4,427 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jan 20, 2011 22:41 |  #8

PacAce wrote in post #11682874 (external link)
Just out of curiosity, why must a single head be only used at full power? What's going to happen if it's accidentally set to "120"?

Not a reduced power setting on the power pack, but a reduced power setting on the flash head.

The heads mitigate power in a relative crude manner, they just dump energy into a resistor. This resistor is wired parallel to the flash tube and that switch on the back just deals the resistors into and out of the electrical mix. The resistors and the flash tube compete and share this power.

These resistors are marginal for the purpose as there is a lot of energy to dissipate, and they need to fit in that flash head.

If you only have one flash head, and set the flash head at a reduced light output. Too much power has to be dissipated in that resistor.

But, if you have more than one head it reduces the power the resistor has to deal with.

Remember with more than one head, the power from the pack is shared with all the flash heads.

In this case, the Novatron 240 Ws pack is relatively low powered (compared to other Novatron packs), so it is likely things would be fine.

But that is a general warning included in the Novatron use manuals. Which is basically what the OP was asking about.

Buy the way, I had a good hunch you were going to ask this followup after I completed my initial reply. Possibly I have been hanging out here too long. Either that or I need to start another agitated, cigar smoking woodpecker thread.

The power pack reduces power by switching more or fewer power capacitors into the mix. The Novatron 240 likely only has two power capacitors.

Enjoy! Lon

FlashZebra
This space available
4,427 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jan 20, 2011 22:49 |  #9

TPock wrote in post #11682584 (external link)
Thanks so much for this. I do have questions to make sure I understand what you are explaining. What is arc protected? The pack is the box, right? If the pack is off, how would I get the strobe to fire? What would happen if I don't do this?

Again thank you!

The pack is the "box". It can also be called a power pack.

1) Do not plug the AC line for the pack in until you have already attached at least one flash head (you can attach more than one flash head of you like).

2) Never plug in a flash head, or unplug a flash head, with the AC power to the pack on. The arc would be at the flash head plug where you plug it into the pack.

3) When you turn the pack off, immediate hit the test button on the pack to discharge the pack through the flash head. Then unplug the flash head. Remember turn off the AC power, THEN hit the test button immediately.

4) Do #3 every time you turn off the pack, not just at the end of your session.

Enjoy! Lon

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,881 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Jan 20, 2011 22:53 |  #10

FlashZebra wrote in post #11682942 (external link)
The heads mitigate power in a relative crude manner, they just dump energy into a resistor. This resistor is wired parallel to the flash tube and that switch on the back just deals the resistors into and out of the electrical mix.

These resistors are marginal for the purpose as there is a lot of energy to dissipate.

If you only have one head, and set the head at a reduced light output. Too much power has to be dissipated in that resistor.

But, if you have more than one head it reduces the power the resistor has to deal with.

Remember with more than one head, the power from the pack is shared.

In this case, the Novatron 240 Ws pack is relatively low powered (compared to other Novatron packs), so it is likely things would be fine.

But that is a general warning included in the Novatron use manuals. Which is basically what the OP was asking about.

Buy the way, I had a good hunch you were going to ask this followup after I completed my initial reply. Possibly I have been hanging out here too long.

Enjoy! Lon

Thanks for the answer, Lon.

Just trying to keep you on your toes. ;)

...Leo

TPock
THREAD ­ STARTER
253 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 20, 2011 22:56 as a reply to  @ FlashZebra's post |  #11

I am writing this all down and putting it with the lights! Thank you!
Thank your for explaining it again to me and I got it!!!

~~Traci~~

Old ­ Coot
295 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 21, 2011 17:49 as a reply to  @ TPock's post |  #12

My Novatron pack is an older model and the instructions said that the pack needs to be 'exercised' at least once a month to keep the capacitors from going bad. I don't use the pack very often, so has this been a problem with these systems?

5d | 50d | 1d mii | Rebel G 35mm | Polaroid 100, 210, 360 | Bigma | Tokina 80-200 | Promaster 19-35 | 580ex | Olde Tyme Novatron strobes

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,702 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 21, 2011 18:15 |  #13

Old Coot wrote in post #11687987 (external link)
My Novatron pack is an older model and the instructions said that the pack needs to be 'exercised' at least once a month to keep the capacitors from going bad. I don't use the pack very often, so has this been a problem with these systems?

'Keeping the capacitor formed' is a long time recognized need...I remember having to do the procedure to my portable flash 45 years ago. Even with speedlights this is a procedure to periodically follow in order to keep the capacitors able to store a charge. Battery powered flashes need to have the power switch turned on, even studio flashes need to be plugged in and turned on. The amount of time that it stays on (e.g. 15 minutes/1hour) can vary with the manufacturer/model, as is the recommended interal between re-forming...every 3 mo or 6 mo. is quite typical.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

sponsored links

15,584 views & 0 likes for this thread
Novatron 240- Can you explain this?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.