Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 21 Jan 2011 (Friday) 15:22
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "How low will you go?"
I only shoot SLRs
21.1%
Point and Shoots
15.8%
Cell phone camera
22.4%
Pin Hole camera - why not?
40.8%

76 voters, 76 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What is the lowest grade of camera you will shoot?

Roroco
647 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jan 21, 2011 15:22 |  #1

I hear a lot of people here mentioning that they would rather take a point and shoot on vacation over their SLRs. It got me thinking what I shoot and I find myself shooting my SLR over 95 percent of the time. I have a point and shoot that I never use. And I only use my cell phone camera to shoot quick MMSs to my wife when I am confirming something to buy for her or my kids.

I was curious what everyone here does. Do you guys shoot with whatever you have on you or do you forgo shots because you don't have the right gear?

Roger
Gear List: 5D Mark III -- 50mm f/1.4 -- 85mm f1.8 -- 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro -- 17-40mm f/4L -- Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 VC -- 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II -- 2.0X III TC

Lights -- Alien Bees B800 -- 580 EX II -- Yongnuo YN-560 II & YN-568EX -- Mother Nature -- RF 602s

sponsored links
Chippy569
Goldmember
1,851 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 21, 2011 16:06 |  #2

those $2 "disposable" kodak cameras are fantastic for getting pictures from places you wouldn't want to put any other camera.

Gear List
David Nichols (external link) - Sound Designer
How to export to Youtube HD from Quicktime

Roroco
THREAD ­ STARTER
647 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jan 21, 2011 16:13 |  #3

Chippy569 wrote in post #11687476 (external link)
those $2 "disposable" kodak cameras are fantastic for getting pictures from places you wouldn't want to put any other camera.

I knew I was missing an option...

Roger
Gear List: 5D Mark III -- 50mm f/1.4 -- 85mm f1.8 -- 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro -- 17-40mm f/4L -- Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 VC -- 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II -- 2.0X III TC

Lights -- Alien Bees B800 -- 580 EX II -- Yongnuo YN-560 II & YN-568EX -- Mother Nature -- RF 602s

dave ­ kadolph
"Fix the cigarette lighter"
6,138 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2007
Location: West Michigan--166.33 miles to the Cook County courthouse

Jan 21, 2011 17:00 as a reply to  @ Roroco's post |  #4

When I travel light it's with a G9--doesn't give up much to the lower level DSLR's

Middle age is when you can finally afford the things that a young man could truly enjoy.
Tools of the trade

banpreso
Goldmember
2,176 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 21, 2011 17:12 |  #5

if i'm shooting, it's a DSLR, unless i NEED a pic of something and don't have my DSLR with me.

if it's just super casual stuff, i'll just let other people shoot their P&S. i personally am not at all big about having a picture taken for every occasion. i have very few pics of myself. if i'm not doing "potography" (i.e., taking pictures in artistic & skillful manner), i normally don't even bother to take out the camera.

Flickr (external link)

hieu1004
Goldmember
3,579 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jan 21, 2011 17:25 |  #6

"The best camera is the one that you have with you," right? Sometimes, it's about catching the moment, but the best available tool might not be available. With that said, I'll use anything that I have available....and I use my phone camera pretty often. :D

-Hieu
Gear | Blog (external link) | flickr (external link)

GJim
Goldmember
1,209 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 21, 2011 17:29 |  #7

I carry a Fuji Z10d with me at all times when on my day-job. I often need a photo of something related to one of our cell-sites. For my 'serious' photography, I use my DSLR - but, I rarely take that to work with me.

G'Jim c):{- ... 50D (Gripped), 7D (Gripped), assorted glass, sundry accouterments.
The beginner clicks the shutter and says "Let's see what I got." ... The experienced photographer thinks "How can I capture what I see?"
My Photography and my Blog: http://www.gjim.com (external link)

tt350z
84 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jan 21, 2011 18:04 |  #8

I only own a DSLR and a cell phone. I loaned my P&S out to a friend but I don't think I'll be seeing it back anytime soon (excuse to get a new P&S, right?).

With that said, my cell takes pretty decent pictures when the lighting is decent. if that's all I have on hand than that's what I'm using.

Of course if I had a choice, my DSLR would be the go to camera.

Gear

Sorarse
Goldmember
2,193 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 21, 2011 18:47 |  #9

I love my DSLRs and if I am taking photographs for a specific purpose, I will use one of them to do so. But there are times when I am just as happy using a P&S, when out and about Geocaching is one example, when I don't want the weight and bulk of a DSLR to contend with.

At the beginning of time there was absolutely nothing. And then it exploded! Terry Pratchett

http://www.scarecrowim​ages.com (external link)
Canon PowerShot G2

squires
40 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 21, 2011 21:06 as a reply to  @ Sorarse's post |  #10

Any camera is better than no camera. I shoot mostly with my dslr, but usually have a P&S with me.

MrWho
Goldmember
1,199 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 21, 2011 22:40 |  #11

Any camera and I wouldn't be opposed to buying one of those Kodak boxes off the shelf at the supermarket if needed.

Gear

mbellot
"My dog ate my title"
3,360 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jan 21, 2011 23:03 |  #12

Roroco wrote in post #11687219 (external link)
I was curious what everyone here does. Do you guys shoot with whatever you have on you or do you forgo shots because you don't have the right gear?

I really prefer to use my DSLR, but when push comes to shove any camera will do - even the POS built in to my phone.

JoeyBaccala
Goldmember
4,464 posts
Gallery: 75 photos
Best ofs: 8
Joined Feb 2010

Jan 21, 2011 23:13 |  #13

I really don't care, I am very protective over my gear and having to lug it out in bad weather or to a sketchy location I would much rather leave it home. A point and shoot is fine considering I know my way around a camera. I can alter any setting to shoot to the best quality that the camera is capable of. Plus there is always LR3 for any pp if needed.

JOEY
5D MKII//SIGMA 50A/Helios 44-2/85L/70-200 f2.8LIS USM II
Flickr (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/josephkaminskiphoto​graphy (external link)

Clean ­ Gene
Goldmember
1,014 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 21, 2011 23:46 |  #14

Roroco wrote in post #11687219 (external link)
I hear a lot of people here mentioning that they would rather take a point and shoot on vacation over their SLRs. It got me thinking what I shoot and I find myself shooting my SLR over 95 percent of the time. I have a point and shoot that I never use. And I only use my cell phone camera to shoot quick MMSs to my wife when I am confirming something to buy for her or my kids.

I forego shots if my available camera can't do what I need it to do. And that's case-specific. Otherwise, I shoot with what I have available. For me, any camera is better than no camera, unless the shot specifically requires a type of camera that I don't have.

KaiserSose
123 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 22, 2011 10:32 |  #15
bannedPermanent ban

anything that I have with me, including cell

sponsored links

3,416 views & 0 likes for this thread
What is the lowest grade of camera you will shoot?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.