Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk 
Thread started 20 Jan 2011 (Thursday) 19:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Group Shot. Ugly Background Color. Advice?

rluu
80 posts
Joined May 2010

Jan 20, 2011 19:44 |  #1

Okay so I've been ask to photograph a team of a dozen or so in a dance studio. I have access to 3 strobes and lighting shouldn't be a problem (borrowed from friend). However, the room I'm shooting in is a bright orange-peachy color which isn't too nice for a bunch of young male teens. Any advice? Anyway to change the color of the wall with a gel strobe? I don't have a backdrop and even if I did it wouldn't be big enough for that many people. The ceiling is white, 3 of the walls are orange and the other side has a bunch of mirrors. Not exactly the best room to photography in.

I was thinking of using grids to really concentrate light on the people and avoid lighting the background to try to black out the wall but not sure if that works. Any help or advice is appreciated :] Thanks in Advance!

sponsored links
Frugal
784 posts
Joined May 2009

Jan 20, 2011 20:14 |  #2

So you point out that the location they have chosen has an orange wall and you can't change that and see what they say. If they say so what, you shoot it anyway. I point out problems to clients, but I don't try to save them from their choices. No one would expect you to have a backdrop that long and it's not a color you could chroma key out. You could light it with a bright back light or two which would make it more white.

Richard
Gear

rluu
THREAD ­ STARTER
80 posts
Joined May 2010

Jan 20, 2011 21:09 |  #3

yeah I'll probably do that, I've been trying to figure out how to get around it. Thanks Richard!

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,605 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 20, 2011 21:14 |  #4

Can you rent some background or get some seemless paper.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

Darren09
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 20, 2011 22:23 |  #5

Frugal wrote in post #11682059 (external link)
So you point out that the location they have chosen has an orange wall and you can't change that and see what they say. If they say so what, you shoot it anyway. I point out problems to clients, but I don't try to save them from their choices. No one would expect you to have a backdrop that long and it's not a color you could chroma key out. You could light it with a bright back light or two which would make it more white.

Totally agree. If that's what the clients want, I guess there's no choice unless they're fine with changing locations to achieve better effects.

Portrait Photography Singapore - Halcyon Media
http://www.portraitsph​otographysingapore.com​/ (external link)

rluu
THREAD ­ STARTER
80 posts
Joined May 2010

Jan 20, 2011 22:30 |  #6

I dont think is such a short time and for a group that large.

rluu
THREAD ­ STARTER
80 posts
Joined May 2010

Jan 20, 2011 22:31 |  #7

I could move to outdoors but haven't done it before. They have these interesting looking garage rail doors. The kinds you see at warehouses and stuff. But it'll be in the mid afternoon.

rluu
THREAD ­ STARTER
80 posts
Joined May 2010

Jan 20, 2011 23:30 |  #8

is there a lighting set up, perhaps grids that I could to perhaps underexpose the background completely black by shooting at a very high aperture and lighting them with a strong flash?

Frugal
784 posts
Joined May 2009

Jan 21, 2011 00:44 as a reply to  @ rluu's post |  #9

is there a lighting set up, perhaps grids that I could to perhaps underexpose the background completely black by shooting at a very high aperture and lighting them with a strong flash

You'd need a lot of soft boxes for 12 people to avoid getting a shadow from one person on another. Someone on the forum always suggests feathering SBs in from the sides, but that seems to have a major potential for shadows.

Richard
Gear

rluu
THREAD ­ STARTER
80 posts
Joined May 2010

Jan 21, 2011 03:34 |  #10

feathering softboxes?

Big ­ K
Goldmember
2,021 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 21, 2011 23:01 |  #11

You could use a tripod, shoot them in groups of 3-4 so you could get the lights closer to them and have less light hit the background, then composite them back together as a group in Photoshop.

Name: Kevin
Follow my daily work at www.ks-images.com (external link) and feel free to C&C anything I post.
Gear List
More money than skill - but I'm working on it

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,605 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 22, 2011 16:44 |  #12

12 people is like 6 per row if two rows or 4 per wor if 3 rows. Rent some 10x20 bg, hang it sideways. You don't need more than 20' wide, isn't it? Stick one or better yet two 60" umbrellas on each side of the camera and high up pointing tsraight (not down on the subjects) and you done.

Who says you need lot softboxes to shoot 12 people?

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

CallumPhoto
661 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 28, 2011 05:02 |  #13

Do they specifically want to keep the real colour? You could try to send it white, it's a shame it's not something like blue. You could probably just use hue/saturation in photoshop to change it which would be a 2 second job. I guess you could make a selection and do the same thing. Otherwise you could gel the strobes lighting the group (use a grey card which is optional) and then change it to what ever colour you like. Lighting the group with bluey green would send it purple I think, blue would send it more balanced, ect.

Callum Bright Photography; Website (external link) / Blog (external link) / Facebook (external link)

Ashura
117 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 28, 2011 08:36 |  #14

I'd change the orange to a more flattering golden yellow in Photoshop.
But that's just me :D

flickr (external link)
50D, EF 24-105/4 L, EF 50/1.4, EF 35/2.0, EF-S 10-22/3.5-4.5, 430EX, D-Lite 4 It kit

sponsored links

3,551 views & 0 likes for this thread
Group Shot. Ugly Background Color. Advice?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.