Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 23 Sep 2010 (Thursday) 20:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 60D Users, Unite!

this thread is locked
Canon_Lover
Goldmember
2,695 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 23, 2011 12:35 as a reply to  @ post 11695483 |  #2281

Couple of shots from my 60D. All of my PP in done in camera and PS is used to crop and resize.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/yohan_photograp​hy/ (external link)

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

My 500PX (external link)

sponsored links
jjmc1025
262 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jan 23, 2011 13:44 |  #2282
bannedPermanent ban

those are awesome shots! I take it you put your flash pointing up behind the tree?

7D - 60D(sold) - 24-105 F/4 L - 70-200 F/4 L - 50mm 1.4 - Tokina 12-24mm - 430II ex

Immaculens
creeped by the TF....
13,208 posts
Gallery: 79 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Jan 23, 2011 14:09 |  #2283

Memory_Junction wrote in post #11698136 (external link)
Come to think of it, on my manual film cameras, in manual mode, what I did for exposure compensation was just to adjust the ISO one stop up or down. It wouldn't work because the medium changes as soon as you change the button. But what would work is simply under or over exposing the scene by a stop. Sure you get a flashing number, but you get the right exposure.

The key point of wanting EC in M mode for me - and I believe Rivest would agree - is that when using "Auto ISO" - shots are too often underexposed - so on our 'firmware update' wish list is either: 1) correct Auto ISO to expose correctly, or 2) give us EC in M mode.

Rivest is perhaps the only other person (I have seen) to agree that Auto ISO (60D) too often underexposes.

Nevertheless, if the fix is adding fill light (in Lr3) or in any case increasing brightness - so be it - because for my typical type of shooting - Auto ISO is Very Convenient.

Will immaculens.com (external link)

7Dmk II gripped | 5Dc | 150-600 (Σ) OS C | 55-250 IS STM | 100L f/2.8 IS Macro | 15-85 IS | 50 f/1.8 STM | 30 Σ f/1.4 'A'
Learn to love to do well, and you shall. ~ C. Poseidon

Canon_Lover
Goldmember
2,695 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 23, 2011 14:12 |  #2284

jjmc1025 wrote in post #11698769 (external link)
those are awesome shots! I take it you put your flash pointing up behind the tree?

Thanks. IT is actually a combination of flash and continuous lighting.

My custom lighting setup is designed to do both.

I actually was just in a parking lot, so I could alter my gear with tools in my truck all night. Forgot the remote timer at home, derp! Had to use 10 second timer and was limited to 30 sec exposure. Still kicking myself in the ass for that one...

Didn't get a chance to get any better shots with more setup time, as I found some major flaws that need to be worked out.

Another shot taken on the way home that night.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

My 500PX (external link)

jjmc1025
262 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jan 23, 2011 14:19 |  #2285
bannedPermanent ban

Canon_Lover wrote in post #11698923 (external link)
Thanks. IT is actually a combination of flash and continuous lighting.

My custom lighting setup is designed to do both.

I actually was just in a parking lot, so I could alter my gear with tools in my truck all night. Forgot the remote timer at home, derp! Had to use 10 second timer and was limited to 30 sec exposure. Still kicking myself in the ass for that one...

Didn't get a chance to get any better shots with more setup time, as I found some major flaws that need to be worked out.

Judging by what I already see im sure you'll have some great work to show us when you have more setup time.

7D - 60D(sold) - 24-105 F/4 L - 70-200 F/4 L - 50mm 1.4 - Tokina 12-24mm - 430II ex

Canon_Lover
Goldmember
2,695 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 23, 2011 14:28 |  #2286

jjmc1025 wrote in post #11698964 (external link)
Judging by what I already see im sure you'll have some great work to show us when you have more setup time.

Thanks again. I am very stoked about the possibilities of my new gear setup.

I wasn't expecting the test shots to be anything worth showing. Just collecting data.

I need a new tripod ASAP! I have been using a Walmart cheapo for years because it just works for shot like this. Last night, I got so pissed off at the thing because one of the legs would not lock, I broke it off trying to get it to stick. Had to tape it together for the last shot.

Glad it finally pushed me to get a real tripod, which I am going to purchase in a couple of hours. :cool: :)

My 500PX (external link)

Memory_Junction
317 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 23, 2011 14:31 |  #2287

Hardcore wrote in post #11696228 (external link)
There are a lot of people that don't understand the reason for exposure compensation in manual mode until they encounter a need for it. One reason why Nikon is trumping canon. Very easy to implement that is for sure!

When I look at it, it's just a matter of balancing what you get for your money between the two companies. Nikon trumpets having one stop more sensitive sensors, but most of their cameras have noise issues at iso 100. I actually shoot a lot more at iso 100 than in extremes of darkness. To top it off, Sony makes Nikon's high end sensors, and this can't be good long term.

Canon seems to have taken the lead in terms of resolution, and will solidify that this year if they release a new 5D and 7D -according to their schedule. Sure, the Sony chips are currently the highest full frame resolution (24 MP), but they came out after Canon's.

This isn't a high end camera we bought. We can't expect it to have all of the features of the higher end models.

I like Canon for its' vertical integration. I think in this decade we will see a shakeup. My predictions: in ten years, Canon will be in first, followed by Sony in second and Samsung in third. Nikon will either be taken over by Sony (complicated because the Minolta platform is entirely different from Nikon) or in fourth.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain.
http://www.memory-junction.com/external link

jjmc1025
262 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jan 23, 2011 17:20 |  #2288
bannedPermanent ban

Canon_Lover wrote in post #11699007 (external link)
Thanks again. I am very stoked about the possibilities of my new gear setup.

I wasn't expecting the test shots to be anything worth showing. Just collecting data.

I need a new tripod ASAP! I have been using a Walmart cheapo for years because it just works for shot like this. Last night, I got so pissed off at the thing because one of the legs would not lock, I broke it off trying to get it to stick. Had to tape it together for the last shot.

Glad it finally pushed me to get a real tripod, which I am going to purchase in a couple of hours. :cool: :)

Dont get a RocketFish! The adjustment screw stripped in the first 3 hours of using it. I had to re-tap the thing and now I have to use a socket wrench to adjust it :mad:

Canon_Lover
Goldmember
2,695 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 23, 2011 18:12 |  #2289

jjmc1025 wrote in post #11699996 (external link)
Dont get a RocketFish! The adjustment screw stripped in the first 3 hours of using it. I had to re-tap the thing and now I have to use a socket wrench to adjust it :mad:

I just got a Manfrotto 190xprob legs and Giottos mh 1302 ball head.

This tripod's extension tube can be set horizontal for putting the tripod flush with the ground.

Really nice and didn't cost more than $300.

My 500PX (external link)

Memory_Junction
317 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 23, 2011 19:37 |  #2290

Canon_Lover wrote in post #11700267 (external link)
I just got a Manfrotto 190xprob legs and Giottos mh 1302 ball head.

This tripod's extension tube can be set horizontal for putting the tripod flush with the ground.

Really nice and didn't cost more than $300.

I use Manfrotto 190XB, too. It's got a Manfrotto ball with a quick grip, and I like it. Worth the extra money when you use something a lot. But don't get those cheapo $130 Manfrottos -they shouldn't even produce them because they give the company a bad name. The plastic on them fatigues and cracks after a little use.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain.
http://www.memory-junction.com/external link

Evil_Edge
314 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 23, 2011 20:42 |  #2291

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png' | Redirected to error image by ZENFOLIO PROTECTED

Gear List

wrd
359 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jan 23, 2011 21:58 |  #2292

Rivest wrote in post #11697018 (external link)
Class 10, 30Mb/s !

Is this (external link)the card you got?

Sony A7iii | Canon 17-40 f/4L | Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC | Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 VC
| Sigma 50mm f/1.4 | Rokinon 24mm f/1.4 | Feisol 3342 | Sirui K30x
Instagram @wrdphotography (external link)

Jon_PDX
163 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 23, 2011 22:08 |  #2293

Immaculens wrote in post #11696898 (external link)
I think Exposure Comp in M mode is considered by Canon to be a 'high end' feature. On the 1D's I think.

easy to implement someone say? Fer Sher!

Just for fun I checked my G12 and it will allow Exposure Comp in full M mode.

So it makes no sence to not include it on the 60D.

Jon...

Jon_PDX
163 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 23, 2011 22:15 |  #2294

Kudos. wrote in post #11701628 (external link)
Is this (external link)the card you got?

I suspect it is the same card Rivest is using.

It's the one I have and it works well.

Jon...

lalb
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 24, 2011 04:08 as a reply to  @ Jon_PDX's post |  #2295

Anybody looking for 60D kit with 18-135 lens in Pune, India? I would like to depart mine. PM me if you need details?

sponsored links

1,649,495 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 60D Users, Unite!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.