Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 22 Sep 2010 (Wednesday) 09:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

ThinkTankPhoto lens changer 3 review!

jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Sep 22, 2010 09:35 |  #1

I have a full review including a video on my blog here:
http://gear.benjacobse​nphoto.com …s-changer-3-video-review/ (external link)

so be sure to check that out. I've been VERY pleasantly surprised by the LC series. I'm a fan of the retro 10 and it's been my main bag since I got it back in may. But I've been thinking about a bag that's easier to wear WHILE shooting and still gives you great access to your gear w/o getting in your way... I've owned a boda before (blew up the zippers and got a refund) and liked it for that purpose, but I noticed the lens changers might be an even better fit (w/o any zippers!). I've been using the bag for the last month and I've honestly been very surprised at how well it works considering I'm also using it as a storage and transport bag for my kit as well as a shooting solution.

Watch the video and read the full review on my blog for more info, also, all my pics on my site have descriptions with details, so it's a much better format for me to use (I'm not just trying to get clicks here, I promise!).

how I normally carry my gear in the bag:

IMAGE: http://gear.benjacobsenphoto.com/wp-content/gallery/thinktank-lenschanger-3-review/img_7175.jpg

what it looks like opened up for shooting:
IMAGE: http://gear.benjacobsenphoto.com/wp-content/gallery/thinktank-lenschanger-3-review/img_7180.jpg

this is what's normally in the "tubes" WITH MY 7D and 24L above the single lens in the center tube (so 5D w/o lens, 7D w/24L, 10-22, 100-400 and an 18-55 all inside):
IMAGE: http://gear.benjacobsenphoto.com/wp-content/gallery/thinktank-lenschanger-3-review/img_7172.jpg

here's the accessory pocket on the back:
IMAGE: http://gear.benjacobsenphoto.com/wp-content/gallery/thinktank-lenschanger-3-review/img_7178.jpg

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.com (external link) | newschoolofphotography​.com (external link)
GND buyers FAQ

FOR SALE: 5Dii RRS L-bracket, 430II, 12mm macro tube PM ME!

sponsored links
vii_haven
74 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jan 05, 2011 07:53 |  #2

Finally! A proper review of the Thinktank Lens Changer 3! I've been looking at this to replace the Boda V3 for a while.

How does the grippy shoulder pad fare against the Boda's non-grippy strap? I swing the Boda back and forth quite frequently so that's quite an important criteria for me.

Does a flash fit in the back pocket of the bag and still feel good against the body while shooting?

Well lastly, black vs pinestone. Shooting events and concerts quite frequently, black is ideal, however pinestone is so much more aesthetically pleasing to the eye. I own a pinestone Retrospective 30 and i really dig the vintage look.

jacobsen1
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 12, 2011 17:37 |  #3

The shoulder pad works well, if you have issues lengthen the strap and put it over your head?
the flash will fit, but it'll be a tad bulky? Sneak it into one of the lens tubes with a smaller lens?
I vote black, but understand your dilema...

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.com (external link) | newschoolofphotography​.com (external link)
GND buyers FAQ

XxDJCyberLoverxX
Goldmember
1,139 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 12, 2011 17:44 |  #4

When do you see yourself going for the Lens Changer 3 rather than the Retrospective 10? I'm thinking of an easy grab and swap lens bag, but don't know if it is convenient enough for me to get as my only bag.

Daniel
Sony a7 / Sony a7s / FE 24-70mm / FE 28mm F/2 / Samyang 135mm
Nebula 4000 Lite / Manfrotto 190cx
POTN Feedback / My Work! (external link)

Rainyday
Goldmember
1,105 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 12, 2011 20:09 as a reply to  @ XxDJCyberLoverxX's post |  #5

I think the TT lens changer is going to be a Boda killer. imo, the TT is much, much better.

vii_haven
74 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jan 12, 2011 20:22 as a reply to  @ XxDJCyberLoverxX's post |  #6

I failed to mention that i swing the back front and back pretty often, hence my question about the grippy shoulder pad.

The Lens Changer is not my only bag. Its my shooting bag. I have my Airport Security to carry the Lens Changer 3, camera body, spare gear, laptop, accessories etc.

The other new interesting option to transport gear around is the Lowerpro Transport Duffle Backpack (external link). Apparently this can roll up into something light and small you can carry over your shoulders after you take out all your shooting gear to put on yourself. The concept is interesting.

jacobsen1
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 12, 2011 20:26 |  #7

XxDJCyberLoverxX wrote in post #11627266 (external link)
When do you see yourself going for the Lens Changer 3 rather than the Retrospective 10? I'm thinking of an easy grab and swap lens bag, but don't know if it is convenient enough for me to get as my only bag.

if you're shooting with your body at an event the whole time and want to carry JUST lenses, that's what this is for. So sports or a wedding where a waist belt isn't a good option, but you want similar function?

It's a shooting bag for sure, and that's part of the problem and the appeal. If you can get your gear there, once there, even for landscaping, the lens changer is much easier to shoot FROM for me.

My Gear List

my sites:
GND buyers FAQ

rvdw98
Goldmember
1,592 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 13, 2011 09:50 |  #8

jacobsen1 wrote in post #11628361 (external link)
If you can get your gear there, once there, even for landscaping, the lens changer is much easier to shoot FROM for me.

I'll give it a whirl next time I need to prune my rhododendron. :lol:

Roy

Tim ­ Snow
231 posts
Joined May 2007

Jan 14, 2011 07:33 |  #9

Thanks OP, I'm torn between the LC 2 or 3 for the moment. I think I will go for the 2, as 2 lenses in the bag and one on the body should be ample for walkarounds and city shooting.

1dMkIII, 5dMkII, 16-35, 24-70, 70-200 f/2.8IS II, 15mm fish, 24 1.4, 50 f/1.4, 135 f/2, 580 II, 550, PW Mini's Flex's and Plus II's, Think Tank AI V2.0, Think Tank Skin, Alien Bees -
500px (external link)Montreal Wedding Photographer (external link), Montreal Photojournalist (external link),
Montreal Wedding Photography Blog (external link), Twitter (external link) NewWindWorkshops - Montreal Photo Workshops (external link)

jacobsen1
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 14, 2011 08:08 |  #10

^ yeah, I was also torn actually. For JUST shooting, a 2 would be better for me, but because I can sneak the body into the 3 with ANY combo I usually walk around with, I opted for the larger one... I've been considering picking up a 2 as well honestly, but I might also have someone replace the zipper on my boda v2 since I don't like their 3 and that's the only issue with my 2...

My Gear List

my sites:
GND buyers FAQ

Jannie
Goldmember
4,936 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 14, 2011 08:53 |  #11

There looks like there is plenty of room for the camera body, do you thinkmthere is enough space to fit a pro body into one of those tubes?

Ms.Jannie
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it"!
1DMKIII, 85LII, 24-70L, 100-400L

jacobsen1
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 14, 2011 10:46 |  #12

it'd be tight, but maybe depending on what's in the tubes on either side?

there's a normal gripless body on the right here and a 10-22 sideways @ center:

IMAGE: http://gear.benjacobsenphoto.com/wp-content/gallery/thinktank-lenschanger-3-review/img_7180.jpg

My Gear List

my sites:
GND buyers FAQ

Cam101
611 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 14, 2011 12:21 |  #13

Another great review Ben. Will probably pick this one up as well.

Canon 5D MkIV | 600EX-RT
Canon Lenses: 16-35 f/4L | 70-200mm f/2.8L II IS | 100-400mm f/4-5.6L IS II | 100mm f/2.8L Macro | MP-E 65mm Macro
Gitzo GT3541LS w/ RRS BH55

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 14, 2011 14:18 as a reply to  @ Cam101's post |  #14

I own this bag and it's fantastic.

I mainly use it for weddings and it's absolutely great for that. I carry all my gear in a bigger rolling luggage type bag/case, then I take what I need. I usually use 2 bodies so I have 2 lenses mounted, and then another 2 inside the Lens Changer. I also keep the front/rear caps off and the hood in the ready position. Changing lenses is VERY quick this way. I just make sure the bottom of the bag interior is clean as to not scratch anything up. I usually keep one of the tubes empty because having an empty slot really accelerates changing lenses.

I'll also use it for casual shooting too. I can fit my D700 in one of the lens tubes, fit a bigger lens in one, then stack 2 smaller ones in the other with a divider in-between.

It's really a nice lens. Not meant as a does-it-all camera bag. It's very specific in its application.

vii_haven
74 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jan 24, 2011 00:57 as a reply to  @ nicksan's post |  #15

I bought the Retrospective Lens Changer 3 in black and shot a wedding over the weekend. I must say i was more pleased with this bag than with the Boda v3 that i currently own.

The bag has 3 lens tubes. I had the 16-35 2.8L II, 70-200 2.8L II in two tubes. One was left empty so i can 'drop' in a lens, and pick up another quickly with the same hand (so 1 tube is always empty). I put my additional CF cards, 580 EX and lens cloths in the pouch behind the bag. I 'silenced' the velcro and flipped the bag cover to the back of the bag while shooting the lens tubes are open and i have direct access. Lens caps are left off, bottom of the lens goes in first. I have the 5D Mark II in my hand with the 24-70 2.8L mounted on it.

I liked that the bag was light (lighter than the Boda v3), shoulder strap was good, tubes were large and easy to 'drop' and pickup lenses, bag was low profile, doesn't take more attention than it needs to.

I didn't like that i had to go 'under' the flipped back flap to get my flash stored in the back pouch. I might buy a TT pouch to store the flash at the side/front OR hope that TT releases a 4 tube model. I didn't like the grippy portion under the shoulder pad as i swing the bag front and back quite often and it catches on my clothes. I didn't like the weight of the bag with the equipment inside even though it was the bare minimum to shoot with (this is by no means TT's fault and can only be solved with an 'assistant' carrying it for me...Haha).

I transported this setup inside an Airport Security with an extra set of primes in the Airport Security as backup. The roller also contains a laptop and misc accessories.

I also discovered that if TT made this as a messanger bag (with the straps as they are) instead of with 3 tubes, it'd also be a very AWESOME day to day bag that can store all your misc stuff you carry around on a day to day basis. An iPad fits perfectly in the back pocket with room to spare for other things.

sponsored links

15,974 views & 0 likes for this thread
ThinkTankPhoto lens changer 3 review!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.