Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 21 Jan 2011 (Friday) 22:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 1D Mark IV Auto ISO

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
2,348 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 22, 2011 09:47 |  #31

sebct wrote in post #11691096 (external link)
The 5D Mark II does have Auto ISO?

Fractionally. It does not work in 'M' mode, which, IMO, is the most natural place for it. It has no user-selectable min or max limits, nor shutter speed or f-stop limits. Also, ISO fixes at 400 if flash is enabled, unless you are in P mode and tilt the flash head for bounce, in which case it will go to 1600.

So, the 5D2 has a very poor implementation of auto-ISO. The 7D is slightly better, and the T2i and 1D4 better yet, but they are all far short of what auto-ISO should have been in the first DSLRs.

sponsored links
apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,848 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 22, 2011 09:53 as a reply to  @ post 11691560 |  #32

I for sure wouldn't pay that amount of money, as a 1D Mark IV costs, without using all the features it can offer, when I find the appropriate.
Then I don't care how automatic or manual they are considered to be.

Why take a series of pictures, at ten frames/second, if expousre can vary? Yes, why? Why did they invent AEB? Is ten pictures per second, where the exposure is off on all of them, just becuase you didn't have the time to fix your manual setting, better? The subject passes through sun-shadow-sun, and you don't know beforehand where the best action is going to be?

On my 7D, Auto ISO with flash changes anything in P mode only, where it chooses 400 if the flash is aimed at the subject, otherwise 1600.
But Canon's general idea with automatic flash exposure is to vary the flash intensity, not the ISO.

Anders

tohara
417 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jan 22, 2011 10:08 as a reply to  @ post 11691408 |  #33

good chat Jeffery. Im glad to see you're spending your time using your camera, rather than browsing forums.

500px (external link)
Sony A7r | Leica M6 Titanium | Ricoh GR1 | Nikon FM2 | Pink Lomo Sprocket Rocket
Zeiss 55mm f1.8 | Leica 35mm f2 Summicron ASPH | Polaroid Cool Cams (external link)

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,395 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 22, 2011 10:19 |  #34

tohara wrote in post #11691705 (external link)
good chat Jeffery. Im glad to see you're spending your time using your camera, rather than browsing forums.

My occasional use of auto-exposure modes makes me so efficient that I do not have to shoot 24 hours a day, seven days a week to get things done. I have time to eat, sleep, relax. All kinds of stuff.

You should try it.:D

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

HKGuns
Goldmember
1,469 posts
Joined May 2008

Jan 22, 2011 10:22 |  #35

I use it and it is useful on occasion.

Voaky999
Goldmember
3,232 posts
Gallery: 596 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 22, 2011 10:26 |  #36

JeffreyG wrote in post #11691787 (external link)
My occasional use of auto-exposure modes makes me so efficient that I do not have to shoot 24 hours a day, seven days a week to get things done. I have time to eat, sleep, relax. All kinds of stuff.

You should try it.:D

Yes, my psychiatrist first suggested AUTO ISO as a way to have a more well rounded, stress free life. It counteracts my tendancy for obsessive compulsive behavior where I feel the need to control minute by minute all exposure settings during rapid changes in lighting conditions.

Don
"Knowledge is Good" Emil Faber

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
2,348 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 22, 2011 10:36 |  #37

tohara wrote in post #11691269 (external link)
It is not ignorant at all, don't be so defensive. Gee whiz.

Everything has its place, i'm sure. But to break it down into simple terms for you so you can see where i am coming from; you're letting the camera do the thinking, why not buy a much cheaper body that has the same thought process?

Why would someone who shoots in full auto not be able to enjoy a better sensor than a P&S sensor, or even an APS-C? Or 12mm lenses? Regardless, auto-ISO, especially when done right, is not a loss of control at all; it's just a different angle to approach control from, with better safeguards against failure to control. For example, if you get ISO feedback in the viewfinder in 'M' mode, then you get to see whether you want your user-chosen Av and Tv in light of the ISO chosen by the camera.

In fact why not just put it on auto and let the camera do it all.

So, in your world, there is no such thing as levels of control, just total control, or no control?

If you're buying a 1d IV (which is aimed at sports shooters) and set it to auto-ISO than the camera is taking precious time and effort away from buffering/firing the shutter.

"Precious time?". Do you have any idea how little time it takes to make these decisions? My little Casio super-zoom can shoot at 40fps in auto-ISO mode, the same speed as fixed ISO. You're imagining some computationally-intensive complexity which does not exist.

Also you might be taking a sequence and each shot will have a different exposure, what is the point in taking 10 FPS if they all have different exposures?

Ideally, each would have the minimal noise possible, by using the highest ISO that doesn't blow the highlights. You can get the graypoint of all images the same in post, if you want.

Unless you lot up north are living in an ice age, where the weather changes so frequently that you need the camera to think for you every time you fire the shutter, I cannot foresee why you would need to use auto iso, especially at a wedding. I take photos in the surf, im usually out there before the sun comes up, i will shoot from 1/200 to 1/2000 over a one hour period. I keep my iso on 250 and adjust the shutter/aperture to get the exposure i want. It doesn't make me some type of demigod because i know how to expose correctly, it gives me the skills to adapt to tricky lighting situations more easily.

When you use 1/2000 is it really needed, or are you just getting the relative exposure "right"? Why not 1/800 and ISO 100?

I find it highly unlikely that 250 is ideal for all those shots, but even if it was, you still can choose manual ISO. The discussion of auto ISO is not about eliminating manual ISO; the real issues are about how auto ISO is implemented, and how useful it is where it is fitting, as implemented (and implementation has a great room for improvement with Canons). Auto-ISO is for situations where it is useful, not for situations in which it is not.

You do realize that ISO 250 is a somewhat defective ISO on all Canons, don't you? If you made a chart of camera-added noise vs ISO, 250 would be a spike in the chart (125, 250, 500 etc are the worst for most recent Canons; for older 1D cameras, at least, the 160/320/640 group were worst; I don't know if the 1D4 follows the newer system or the old one). If you can fix the ISO and vary the shutterspeed tenfold, I can't imagine that you couldn't do the same at 200.

Mark ­ Theriot
515 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2009

Jan 22, 2011 16:46 |  #38

+1. Agreed. It's a tool to be used when appropriate.

Mark

JeffreyG wrote in post #11691025 (external link)
These kinds of comments are just ignorant. I can only assume people who post these kinds of thoughts have just learned the basics of exposure and reciprocity and now somehow assume that being able to set a manual exposure makes you into a great photographer or something.

I might very well use my 1D Mark IV in a manual exposure mode 90% of the time, but that does not mean there will never be situations where the light is truly changing often and an auto exposure mode is a very appropriate.

And in such a situation, the variable I would want the camera to change would almost always be ISO. Aperture and shutter speeds are almost always more important to the picture than the ISO.

Equipment: 800L, 400 DO, 70-300L, 24-105L

Al ­ Rohrer
85 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jan 24, 2011 11:27 |  #39

sebct wrote in post #11691096 (external link)
The 5D Mark II does have Auto ISO?

The 5D MkII absolutely does! I found the ISO "A" setting excellent for photographing a high school reunion when the light wasn't bad but varied around the room and I wanted to spend more time visiting than manipulating the camera, especially when I wasn't a hired photographer.
I intend to experiment more with it in the future.
Al Rohrer

Canon Shooter and PSCS5 on a PC.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,955 posts
Gallery: 82 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jan 24, 2011 11:28 |  #40

Al Rohrer wrote in post #11704645 (external link)
The 5D MkII absolutely does! I found the ISO "A" setting excellent for photographing a high school reunion when the light wasn't bad but varied around the room and I wanted to spend more time visiting than manipulating the camera, especially when I wasn't a hired photographer.
I intend to experiment more with it in the future.
Al Rohrer

Not in manual, as stated a few time before. So if you would like to control shutter and aperture, and have the ISO float around under you, you cannot do that.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

Al ­ Rohrer
85 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jan 24, 2011 11:46 |  #41

TeamSpeed wrote in post #11704652 (external link)
Not in manual, as stated a few time before. So if you would like to control shutter and aperture, and have the ISO float around under you, you cannot do that.

Yes, I know it sets at ISO 400 in Manual. That's a shame as that is where it would work best.
I posted after reading the first page only of this thread, unintentionally overlooked the rest of it. Now I've read it all. My apologies. I usually read an entire thread carefully before posting.
Al Rohrer

Canon Shooter and PSCS5 on a PC.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,955 posts
Joined May 2002

Jan 24, 2011 11:47 |  #42

Al Rohrer wrote in post #11704742 (external link)
Yes, I know it sets at ISO 400 in Manual. That's a shame as that is where it would work best.
I posted after reading the first page only of this thread, unintentionally overlooked the rest of it. Now I've read it all. My apologies. I usually read an entire thread carefully before posting.
Al Rohrer

It is indeed a shame, Canon keeps tweaking and changing the auto-ISO behavior camera to camera. So far the 1D4 has the best implementation of auto-ISO for me at this time, able to utilize up through 12800. Still cannot control whether it is full/half/third stops nor EC in manual though.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

Zivnuska
Goldmember
3,571 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 24, 2011 12:59 |  #43

E.o.s wrote in post #11690394 (external link)
Auto ISO on "1" series No way! in dim conditions 1d4 sometimes passes 6400 yes you get better shutter but you'll compromise IQ and images above 6400 are plain ugly at 100%

ISO 12,800

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i137.photobucke​t.com …/2010/PZIV1542-Edit-1.jpg (external link)

www.zivnuska.zenfolio.​com/blog (external link) = My Blog
Gear List
www.zivnuska.zenfolio.​com (external link)

"It's not tight until you see the color of the irides."

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,955 posts
Joined May 2002

Jan 24, 2011 16:30 |  #44

E.o.s wrote in post #11690394 (external link)
Auto ISO on "1" series No way! in dim conditions 1d4 sometimes passes 6400 yes you get better shutter but you'll compromise IQ and images above 6400 are plain ugly at 100%

Yeah, plain ugly... taken from my 1D4 vs 5D2 review:

IMAGE: http://teamspeed.smugmug.com/Electronics/1D4-vs-5D2-ISO/1d12800dr/1164485303_ng4wQ-O.jpg

IMAGE: http://teamspeed.smugmug.com/Electronics/1D4-vs-5D2-ISO/1d12800drpost/1164499340_KhhRo-O.jpg

Methodical
Cream of the Crop
7,182 posts
Gallery: 158 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2008

Sep 27, 2011 22:27 |  #45

Wow Teamspeed. What are you using for noise reduction for this shot?

I used auto ISO this weekend and I love it; allowed me to keep my SS at 1600 and my eyes on the action. Btw, many sports photographers shoot in Av mode, too, especially when there's a field that is half dark because the athletes run in and out of the different light. I would imagine those that use the 1D4 would use auto-ISO more than Av now.

I try to use all that the camera has to offer. I love options.

TeamSpeed wrote in post #11706498 (external link)
Yeah, plain ugly... taken from my 1D4 vs 5D2 review:

QUOTED IMAGE

QUOTED IMAGE

My Treasure Chest
MethodicalImages (external link)
Flickr (external link)
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

sponsored links

11,558 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 1D Mark IV Auto ISO
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.