Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 25 Jan 2011 (Tuesday) 03:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Question about sending lenses to canon for calibration and cleaning.

BradTSG
96 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Jan 25, 2011 03:47 |  #1

I searched for a while trying to find more information about sending in all my lenses for canon to check / calibrate and clean with my CPS membership. I have came up with only results on people saying "send it to Canon". I was trying to find how people usually ship them. My questions are as follows:

1.) Do you leave a UV filter on?
2.) Do you send them in original boxes or just bubble wrap them put or even put them in plastic ziplock baggys?
3.) Do you send the body with them (I would think this would be a yes for best calibration)?
4.) Is one service center better than the other? NJ is closest to me.
5.) Do you insure your lenses for full retail when shipping and does Canon insure their package back to you?

Gripped 7D | 70-200L f/2.8 IS | 17-55 f/2.8 IS | 50L f/1.2 | Σ 35mm F1.4 DG HSM | 580ex II | 430ex II | EF 1.4x II

sponsored links
FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Jan 25, 2011 04:01 |  #2

1) No
2) From what I've heard, if you send the original box, chances are pretty good you'll never see it again. Wrap it as if you were shipping it to a buyer minus the original box.
3) Depends. If you want the lens calibrated to Canon specs, they have "golden sample" bodies on which they test/evaluate/calibrat​e lenses. If you want it dialed in specifically to a body, send them the camera but bear in mind your lens may come back out of factory spec and may not play as nicely on a second body.
4) Coin Flip IMO. Go with the nearest one.
5) Can't imagine putting my gear in anyone else's hands without proper insurance.

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

BradTSG
THREAD ­ STARTER
96 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jan 25, 2011 04:09 |  #3

Thanks for the reply Jay. Now another situation to think about. To send the body or not to send the body?? My wife has a 60D so she would be using my lenses occasionally so I don't want it to be off too much.

Gripped 7D | 70-200L f/2.8 IS | 17-55 f/2.8 IS | 50L f/1.2 | Σ 35mm F1.4 DG HSM | 580ex II | 430ex II | EF 1.4x II

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Jan 25, 2011 04:11 |  #4

I see your dilemma...

You have MFA, while she doesn't.

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

BradTSG
THREAD ­ STARTER
96 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jan 25, 2011 04:17 |  #5

I probably need to call them to see what they suggest on that aspect. I would guess they could adjust the lenses to spec on their test models and MFA them to my 7D or I could MFA them upon return.

mikemo618
326 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jan 25, 2011 04:27 as a reply to  @ BradTSG's post |  #6

Just FYI, original box is just fine to ship the lens in. Canon always takes very, very good care of those things and gets them back to me. I ship my lenses to Canon NJ.

5D2, 7D, 70-200 2.8L, 24-70 2.8L, 16-35L ii, 135L , 50 1.4, and other assorted goodies.
Zenfolio (external link)
500px (external link)

pilsburypie
Goldmember
1,122 posts
Joined May 2009

Jan 25, 2011 04:30 |  #7

I had an issue with my camera and lens sharpness wide open. Sent the lens in to be calibrated and it was not a whole lot better. They then asked for the body and the issue vastly improved. As mentioned, getting the lens calibrated to your body limits you. I was told they calibrated the lens to their "God body" and the body to their "God lens". Both these items are regularly sent back to Canon for calibration. So then you have a standard.....

Mark
Gear List

BradTSG
THREAD ­ STARTER
96 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jan 25, 2011 04:36 |  #8

Thanks Mike and Mark. Hopefully I have a good experience as well. I sent the Canon CPS an email a week ago but never received a reply back so I guess it's time to do stuff the old fashioned way and call them up.

izthistaken
Cream of the Crop
6,857 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 07, 2011 20:52 |  #9

Does anyone know what this costs? The calibration and the cleaning?

Matt
flickr  (external link)
5DMKII | 16-35L |24-70L| 70-200L 2.8 II | Canon 50mm 1.8|35mm F2|580ex x2|Lumopro LP160|Nikon SB24|Cybersyncs x3

sun5150
160 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 08, 2011 00:33 as a reply to  @ izthistaken's post |  #10

The calibration is around $175.

I sent in lenses with the filter on the lens. I also sent it in with the box for extra protection.

anthony11
Goldmember
2,148 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 08, 2011 04:51 |  #11

After my experiences with Irvine I'd go with NJ

5D2, 24-105L, 85mm f/1.8, MP960, HG21, crumbling G6+R72, Brownian toddler

izthistaken
Cream of the Crop
6,857 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 08, 2011 11:31 |  #12

sun5150 wrote in post #11799506 (external link)
The calibration is around $175.

I sent in lenses with the filter on the lens. I also sent it in with the box for extra protection.

What about JUST the body? My lenses are ok.

Matt
flickr  (external link)
5DMKII | 16-35L |24-70L| 70-200L 2.8 II | Canon 50mm 1.8|35mm F2|580ex x2|Lumopro LP160|Nikon SB24|Cybersyncs x3

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 08, 2011 11:41 |  #13

izthistaken wrote in post #11798427 (external link)
Does anyone know what this costs? The calibration and the cleaning?

I see you clarified that is for the body, not a lens.............

I have never seen a bill for any one discrete item under $125.

I have seen several 'no charge' items, though -- e.g. I drop off a lens, they do a clean/calibration at no charge while fixing what I broke, or I complain about multiple shutter failures on my MKIIN and they replace it free with no S&H.

You can just call them up on the phone, very nice people, they will tell you.

They will probably say, of course, it depends upon what they find. For example, if you spilled soda on the body, well....... ;)

PS - I see where you are from. My grandparents lived in St. Clair Shores. You have some decent camera shops up there, and they can clean a sensor/body just fine for less than sending it to Canon.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

aroundlsu
Goldmember
1,428 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 08, 2011 12:03 |  #14

Join Canon Professional Services for $100 and get two cleanings on any two items for free. Also free return shipping and a discount on any repairs. I used my free coupon last month and was shocked how fast they had my 1Ds back to me (just a few days).

Teddy Smith, SOC
IATSE Local 600 Cinematographer

izthistaken
Cream of the Crop
6,857 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 08, 2011 12:14 |  #15

S.Horton wrote in post #11801869 (external link)
I see you clarified that is for the body, not a lens.............

I have never seen a bill for any one discrete item under $125.

I have seen several 'no charge' items, though -- e.g. I drop off a lens, they do a clean/calibration at no charge while fixing what I broke, or I complain about multiple shutter failures on my MKIIN and they replace it free with no S&H.

You can just call them up on the phone, very nice people, they will tell you.

They will probably say, of course, it depends upon what they find. For example, if you spilled soda on the body, well....... ;)

PS - I see where you are from. My grandparents lived in St. Clair Shores. You have some decent camera shops up there, and they can clean a sensor/body just fine for less than sending it to Canon.

aroundlsu wrote in post #11802019 (external link)
Join Canon Professional Services for $100 and get two cleanings on any two items for free. Also free return shipping and a discount on any repairs. I used my free coupon last month and was shocked how fast they had my 1Ds back to me (just a few days).

Thanks to the both of you!

Matt
flickr  (external link)

sponsored links

8,875 views & 0 likes for this thread
Question about sending lenses to canon for calibration and cleaning.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.