Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 24 Jan 2011 (Monday) 23:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Want to make the move to full frame, but im scared.

Sep9000
135 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 24, 2011 23:27 |  #1

It seems like this forum is a lot better than most photography forums. And best of all, it's all about canon! yay!

Okay, so I've had my Rebel XT for a long time. Since Rebel XTs were the hit.. what was that.. 5-6 years ago? And I must say, I'm a guy who loves his nifty fifty. I pretty much got the XT body and the 50mm 1.8. I eventually got a low end zoom lens, but I thought the 50mm was always so much better! I eventually sold the zoom lens(28-105mm I believe) and got the 50mm 1.4. Oh yeah. What happened to the 50mm 1.8? I traded it for an iPhone. I thought it was a good deal. I phone + no contract = win. But last week I was out with the friend who I traded the 50mm 1.8 with and I dropped it and had to give him 100 bucks. so that wasnt too fun.

At the time when I got the XT I figured this was a good step up from me, and it would be a great body to learn on. but it's weird... there really isn't any legitimate reason to upgrade. It takes pictures just fine, when used properly it takes great shots. yada yada yada..

So at the moment my large lens collection consists of the 50mm 1.4, which is fine. Except.. sometimes it's trouble some. On the 1.6x crop it's not always great. Sometimes there just isnt enough room to walk back with out falling off something, or getting hit by car. This is where I think a FF would be useful. A 50mm on an FF is much more convenient, but not only that, I've always admired the quality FF sensors produce. Lastly, and this is actually the main thing, it's starting to hurt my hands when I hold the XT. It's just waaay too small. I've been saving up for the 17-5mm 2.8 EF-S which would give me crisp pictures as well as a good wide angle. But.. for around the same price I could get a 5D classic, and keep the 50mm, which I'd be completely happy with.

I just wanted to see what you guys thought. I know the 5D is old, but it takes good pics non the less. I've been concidering getting the 5D mk2, but that's mainly for it's video capabilities. My friends and I make videos, and I think a 5D mk2 with the 50mm 1.4 would be amazing. But price of course is an issue. I feel like if I were to get the 5D mk2, that I should just wait a year or so until the 5d MK3 comes out, and get a 5D mk2 at a lower price. It would still be more than I'd like to spend, and really video capability is just an extra that I dont exactly require. It would be nice, but photography is my main thing which is why I lean towards the 5D classic the most. the "I'm scared" part really is the fear of making the wrong choice. So what do you folks with more expertise think?

Rebel XT | 24-70mm 2.8 L

sponsored links
cassidyphuey
379 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jan 24, 2011 23:47 |  #2

In all honesty, if I were you, I would buy the 5d Mark II. Granted, if money allowed me too. Full frame is nice but the video that the 5dII can put out gives me enough reason to buy it alone. If anything you can always sell your 5dII when the 5DIII comes out and hopefully you won't lose a lot of money but have enough to cover your expenses if you needed, really wanted the 5dIII.

I'm not sure if I helped you at all but bottom line for me is...buy the 5DII and enjoy what you can out of the camera. It seems as if the XT no longer suits you or it no longer pleases you if I must say. :P

artemisn
426 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 25, 2011 00:07 |  #3

I've actually heard quite a few people say they prefer the 5D MkI to the MkII. However, I don't think I'll be moving to full frame anytime soon, so I can't speak on that.

Have you tried any lenses in the 20-30mm range? Maybe try renting one to see if you think it's wide enough on your crop. Personally, I think I'll be a crop-sensor kind of guy for quite a while, but if those don't do it for you, I'd go for the 5D.

Richard
Your friendly neighborhood photographer/organist-in-the-making
www.anvil.cc (external link)

sally_tomato
400 posts
Joined May 2008

Jan 25, 2011 00:42 |  #4

welcome to the forum!
check out the 5d thread: https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=857115

a 5d will not disappoint. just dont drop it!

mchova
153 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jan 25, 2011 01:14 |  #5

sally_tomato wrote in post #11709239 (external link)
welcome to the forum!
check out the 5d thread: https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=857115

a 5d will not disappoint. just dont drop it!

Definitely check out the link above before you rule out the 5D (not MkII). I'm holding out for the MkIII, or whatever it might be called.

5D III | 50D | Canon 15 | 16-35 L | TS-E 17 L | 24-70 L | Canon 50 L | Canon 85 1.4 | Sigma 50-500 | 70-200 2.8 IS L | 1.4 & 2x Extender II | 430 EXII | Pixma Pro9000 II

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,252 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 25, 2011 05:43 |  #6

Sep9000 wrote in post #11708927 (external link)
... there really isn't any legitimate reason to upgrade...

The question becomes why do it.

... the "I'm scared" part really is the fear of making the wrong choice...

If you're not confident about making the right choice on a new camera, then you're probably not yet ready to upgrade.
If there's no reason to, why do it.

Regards, Phil
2013/14 CAMS Gold Accredited Photographer | 2010 & 2011 V8 Supercars Aust. Accredited Photographer | 2008, '09, '10 South Aus. Rally Photographer of the Year | Catch Fence Photos - 2009 Photo of the Year (external link)Finallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office" | www.freewebs.com/philw​illmedia (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,872 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jan 25, 2011 05:46 |  #7

Get the 5D classic now, you can find them for $900. Shoot with it for about 6 months. When there is a new announcement in the fall period, snag a 5D2 at a projected used value of $1600-1700, and sell the 5D for $800.

The alternative is to get a Sigma 30mm f1.4 instead of the 50mm to give you more room with what you have.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 25, 2011 05:50 |  #8

Why not just get wider glass?

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

egordon99
Cream of the Crop
10,247 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jan 25, 2011 06:07 as a reply to  @ LowriderS10's post |  #9

Trade your 50 for the Sigma 30mm f/1.4.

phreeky
Goldmember
3,499 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 25, 2011 06:51 |  #10

It sounds like you've been pretty patient, you've held onto equipment for a while and gotten a lot out of it - if you've got the money just look at it as treating yourself. It doesn't always have to be overly justified.

The 5D2 sounds like the right sort of camera for you. The 7D would probably also be a huge upgrade for you too, still give you video, but you'd need to look at an alternative to the 50mm (i.e. Sigma 30). It wont be the same, but it's a hell of a lot cheaper too.

wvo
165 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jan 25, 2011 07:01 |  #11

Try out the Sigma 30mm first.

Gear List

windpig
Chopped liver
14,869 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 25, 2011 07:12 |  #12

Glass before body, always.
Get a 24-105 and then a FF in the future. The 24-105 gives you lots of FL options and is a great lens on a FF body. Your 50 gives you a fast lens.

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

Jam.radonc
Goldmember
1,187 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jan 25, 2011 07:14 |  #13

Apart from a wider prime (insert Sigma 30mm or the Canon 28mm) do consider a battery grip. I found this extremely useful on my 450D and balances well on my larger heavier glass.

Honestly the biggest jump in terms of Image Quality would be an investment in glass. The rebel is very capable camera and with proper "grain" reducing software I have been able to shoot at ISO 1600 where before I had to stop using it beyond ISO 400.

Which glass? It's dependent on if you are going to full frame anytime soon. My 24L II literally lives on the 450D.

Jam
5D3 | 450D | Panasonic DMC-LX3 | 430 EX II | ST-E2
24-70 L II | 50L | 50 1.8 I | 100L | Zeiss 35/2 ZE | Zeiss 85/2.8 | Zeiss 135/3.5
[COLOR="Silver"]Sold: 17-40L | 24L II | 85L II | 135L | Sigma 50/1.4 | 5D2

melcat
Goldmember
1,122 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 25, 2011 07:17 |  #14

Lastly, and this is actually the main thing, it's starting to hurt my hands when I hold the XT. It's just waaay too small.

Make sure you handle the 5D or 5D Mark II before buying one. I find mine uncomfortable. It may be you'll find *all* Canon bodies you could ever afford uncomfortable, in which case it would be a bad idea to spend money on Canon lenses.

Also make sure you're holding your XT correctly according to the manual.

palwin
137 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jan 25, 2011 07:17 |  #15

I have 5D and previously had some crop cameras, one of them was 40D. The 5D was a huge upgrade for me, I always had a struggle with lenses wasn't wide enough on crop cameras. Now I mainly use 35L on my 5D and it works great. Image quality is a lot better than 40D.

If Live View and video is important then 5D Mark II is probably a better option because that's missing on the 5D. I would focus on getting good lenses before a new camera and if you feel you are happy with your current camera you might want to look into buy new lenses instead.

Tobias
Flickr (external link) | Gear

sponsored links

3,017 views & 0 likes for this thread
Want to make the move to full frame, but im scared.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.