Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 25 Jan 2011 (Tuesday) 05:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Great, just bloody great!

pilsburypie
Goldmember
1,122 posts
Joined May 2009

Jan 25, 2011 05:32 |  #1

Had 2 specs of dust on my sensor that only ever showed up when against a light sky. No real problem, just niggled me. So, £12 on a Giotto Rocket blower, a good clean and dust of the camera, surrounding work area, pumped the Rocket blower 20 times to ensure no dust is caught inside, then 4 good blows on the sensor.

Take a test pic of the sky at f8 and it looks like I've used the body as an ash tray. AAAAAAGGGGHHHHHHHH! I'd say damn near unusable unless I want to spent 20 mins on each photo clearing up splodges.

So now going to have to buy some eclipse solution and swabs to sort this bloody mess out. Can't wait for the drama that unfolds then! Look out for my next post "Buggered up my sensor - What new camera to buy":(

Mark
Gear List

sponsored links
SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,092 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Jan 25, 2011 05:43 |  #2

Sorry, for the dust bunnies, but the sensor cleaning isn't all that bad. Expensive, yes. The Eclipse and swabs cost around $80 US for a year's supply. It's easy to do, just costly. When you do sit down for the clean up, just remember to glide the swab and if you need to do the corners again, that's okay.

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,252 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 25, 2011 05:50 |  #3

pilsburypie wrote in post #11709921 (external link)
...I'd say damn near unusable...

How bad is that?
Show us a pic.

Regards, Phil
2013/14 CAMS Gold Accredited Photographer | 2010 & 2011 V8 Supercars Aust. Accredited Photographer | 2008, '09, '10 South Aus. Rally Photographer of the Year | Catch Fence Photos - 2009 Photo of the Year (external link)Finallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office" | www.freewebs.com/philw​illmedia (external link)

onick
204 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jan 25, 2011 05:51 |  #4

this is the post i make about the same situation:

https://photography-on-the.net …p=11709916&post​count=6871

pumped the Rocket blower 20 times to ensure no dust is caught inside

i think this is where i messed things up, blowing the inner wall ands ending up with more, dust/dirt/oil from the mirror section on sensor.

fortunately mine is under warranty and taking it to canon servicing center tomorrow for cleaning.

Canon EOS 6D II | Canon EOS 550D | 18-55mm IS | 55-250mm STM | Rokinon 14mm F/2.8 | 35mm f2.0 IS | 50mm f1.8 | 135mm f2.0 L | YN-568EX II

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,005 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jan 25, 2011 05:52 |  #5

How did you blow out the sensor box? I always do the procedure with the camera opening facing downwards. If you do it facing up, you just blow everything around inside (even along the sides) and most of it will resettle.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

stevewf1
778 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 25, 2011 05:53 |  #6

Digital SLRs... Expensive... Dust on the sensor... Can be a BIG problem... There HAS to be a better way to prevent this...

When will the camera manufacturers finally address this problem?

Steve

pilsburypie
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,122 posts
Joined May 2009

Jan 25, 2011 06:24 as a reply to  @ stevewf1's post |  #7

When I say I pumped the blower 20 times to make sure no dust was caught inside, I meant in the blower. I pumped the blower 20 times away from the camera to ensure no dust was inside the rubber bulb.

I only did 4 puffs inside the camera all aimed at the sensor with the camera body facing downwards so gravity aids as recommended.

When I say unusable I am being a little dramatic. I also feel like I could get a hammer to the camera right now, but I won't;)

I shall be getting cleaning solution and swabs and trying to fix the mess!

Some may have had better luck with a blower to clean their sensor, but from "my" first hand experience, being careful to ensure the greatest possibility of success I can strongly suggest:

DON'T USE A BLOWER TO CLEAN YOUR SENSOR!

Mark
Gear List

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,252 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 25, 2011 06:34 |  #8

pilsburypie wrote in post #11710043 (external link)
...When I say unusable I am being a little dramatic...

Still wouldn't mind seeing what it looks like

Regards, Phil
2013/14 CAMS Gold Accredited Photographer | 2010 & 2011 V8 Supercars Aust. Accredited Photographer | 2008, '09, '10 South Aus. Rally Photographer of the Year | Catch Fence Photos - 2009 Photo of the Year (external link)Finallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office" | www.freewebs.com/philw​illmedia (external link)

pilsburypie
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,122 posts
Joined May 2009

Jan 25, 2011 06:43 |  #9

Here you go Phil.

Onick - not as bad as yours. Well done you beat me!

edit: That isn't a hair ball at the bottom of the frame!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Mark
Gear List

phreeky
Goldmember
3,499 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 25, 2011 06:43 |  #10

I don't have a problem with the 7D, I make it do its own sensor clean about once a month but that's it. The 20D is a bloody dust magnet in comparison, I ended up getting a wet clean solution for it and once I got used to it I'd do it before each shoot that'd involve lots of sky (birds, airshow, etc).

For other types of shots I'd not bother, it's pretty hard to spot without a sky in the image IMO (or something similar).

VinnieJ
642 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jan 25, 2011 06:46 |  #11

pilsburypie wrote in post #11709921 (external link)
So now going to have to buy some eclipse solution and swabs to sort this bloody mess out. Can't wait for the drama that unfolds then! Look out for my next post "Buggered up my sensor - What new camera to buy":(

An excuse to buy whatever new pro body comes out this year! :lol:

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,005 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jan 25, 2011 06:48 |  #12

How far did you insert the blower nozzle? Also, one shouldn't blow around the sensor ever. A person should just insert the nozzle tip right at the mount point, maybe a tad farther, and blow the sensor only. There lubricants and other material around the sensor, and they risk blowing small droplets back onto the sensor, thus requiring a wet cleaning. I am sure you did this correctly (4 puffs, only at sensor), this is info for others that may have never used a blower, then read this thread only to walk away thinking a blower is not appropriate, when in actuality it is.

I have used a blower on 10+ different bodies and never had an issue. It always cleaned off the dust. It appears to be droplets in your sample, perfectly round and small. Dust particles are usually not so perfectly round, especially at f11. Somehow something foreign moved from the surrounding area and landed on the sensor. If another few bursts won't dislodge these, it adds credence to the fact that this is probably a liquid of some sort.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Martin.D
Goldmember
2,343 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 25, 2011 06:50 as a reply to  @ TeamSpeed's post |  #13

Cheaper option, Sensor Klear Loupe Kit... I have one and use it all the time...

Web Site (external link)
Facebook (external link)
Instagram (external link)
Flickr (external link)
Canon 5D Mark IV + Canon 90D + Glass

DetlevCM
Goldmember
3,431 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 25, 2011 07:32 |  #14

Cheaper than "Eclipse" - 100% Isopronaol from the pharmacy.

5D MK II AF Satisfaction Poll | Reduced Kit List
A Basic Guide to Photographyexternal link | Websiteexternal link
Flickrexternal link | Artflakesexternal link | Blurbexternal link

MHO
Goldmember
1,406 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jan 25, 2011 07:37 |  #15

Yeah, sorry to hear that dude.

I think most people who try to dust off their camera sensor get the same thing.
I for one have and it it just frustrates you more!

I have even gone through washing the blower's insides but they seem to generate dust and particles!

Damn Blowers! :p

MHO Photography on Flickr (external link)
Facebook Page (external link)
5D2 & 1D2n & Some Lenses

sponsored links

7,891 views & 0 likes for this thread
Great, just bloody great!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.