Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 25 Jan 2011 (Tuesday) 06:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Looking for those who went from 50D to 5D

murkeywaters
229 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 25, 2011 10:56 |  #16

kf095 wrote in post #11711112 (external link)
I have no regrets to use Tamron 28-75 and Nifty Fifty on 5D.
The book I’m currently reading is about kids portraits. About 50% of pictures at this book were taken with 5D and with non L lens. No resolution issues at all.

That maybe the case but if the pictures are in a studio enviroment or taken with a aperture of f8.0 or above I'm sure they do look good but what i'm saying is that a FF sensor will enhance any flaws in a lens especially at wide open apertures.

Nothing wrong with a Nifty Fifty but as most comments say it does have its flaws at f1.8 and the 5D will use the full width of the lens and not just the centre like a crop sensor.

The camera is just a storage box, it's the gLass in front that makes the image...

sponsored links
KinoC
524 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2009

Jan 25, 2011 11:05 |  #17

I went from the 40D to 5DMII and I couldn't be happier! Just the IQ, ISO and to be able to see 17mm in a full frame is just awesome!

KC
1Dx |5D MII | 7D|16-35 MII|24-70 MII|70-200 MII

Bang ­ Bang ­ Boy
Goldmember
1,347 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 25, 2011 11:50 |  #18

AllisonFaith wrote in post #11710101 (external link)
I think I want to go full frame, but can't afford a new camera. My best bet would be trade in my 50d and buy used 5d at this point. I want to know others who did the same, were you happy with your choice? Or did you regret it? What were the positives/negatives you saw when making the switch?

I will let you know by the end of this week. My 5d is in the mail and arriving tomorrow or thursday. I am still keeping my 50d though.

Lots of old stuff but hey I am a student
Photojournalist in Johannesburg.

AllisonFaith
THREAD ­ STARTER
115 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 25, 2011 15:17 |  #19

Bang Bang Boy wrote in post #11711549 (external link)
I will let you know by the end of this week. My 5d is in the mail and arriving tomorrow or thursday. I am still keeping my 50d though.

Yes, please let me know how you like it! Where did you buy it from, and if you don't mindme asking - how much did you pay?

Flickr (external link)
50d, 50/1.4, 35/2, 430exii

Bang ­ Bang ­ Boy
Goldmember
1,347 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 25, 2011 15:32 |  #20

AllisonFaith wrote in post #11712707 (external link)
Yes, please let me know how you like it! Where did you buy it from, and if you don't mindme asking - how much did you pay?

Don't mind at all. I payed around 1015 USD for mine which is the normal price over here in Sweden for a used 5d. I bet it's a couple of hundreds cheaper in the United States because of the taxes etc...

I bought it from a camerastore which sells used cameras mostly because none were sold locally on our version of ebay or craigslist. If you are gonna buy a camera make sure you buy it in person or order it of a respectable vendor...

Mine still hasn't been mailed though by the looks of it, I will have to get on the phone tomorrow and see when they are gonna ship it.

Felix

BrandonSi
Nevermind.. I'm silly.
5,306 posts
Gallery: 62 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Jan 25, 2011 15:35 |  #21

You can find some good deals if you're patient. I got my 5D (which had the mirror fix done) from a really nice member here, for $980 including the canon battery grip.

[ www (external link)· flickr (external link)]

Bang ­ Bang ­ Boy
Goldmember
1,347 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 25, 2011 15:55 |  #22

Oops thought I was in two different threads...

Mashimaro
818 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jan 25, 2011 16:36 as a reply to  @ Bang Bang Boy's post |  #23

The 5D is a great camera!

i was also intrigued (brainwashed more like it thanks to potn) by FF and nearly bought a 5D2 after i sold my 50D.

I ended up buying a 7D and eventually picked up a used, but mint, 5D.

I love the 7D and all of it's bells and whistles. however, there is this 'pop' in the images that the 5D produces! my 24-70L became a whole new animal on the 5D and the 24mm end is actually quite wide! the rear LCD does suck compared to the newer LCD's, but if you're only using it for histogram review, it'll do the job.

It's great having a FF and a crop body. I do find the FF excels for people shots especially!

best of luck with your purchase! :)

Canon 5D4 / Sony A7R2 / Leica M240

BrandonSi
Nevermind.. I'm silly.
5,306 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Jan 25, 2011 16:38 |  #24

Mashimaro wrote in post #11713220 (external link)
and the 24mm end is actually quite wide!

My 24-70 got new life after the 5D as well.. It's amazing how much wider 24mm is on a FF body. :) It saved my from purchasing a wider lens, which I had planned to do. 24mm on FF = ~15mm on the 1.6 crop bodies.

lsuber
502 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jan 25, 2011 21:06 |  #25

There are a few 5D's for sale on the POTN sale forum now, and no fewer than 4 on the first page of the FM boards as of the time of this posting. The $1,000 mark for a good one is about right, and sometimes $1,100 for a low-mileage gripped one. I waited until one came up for sale that had been a photographer's seldom-used backup unit that had sent most of it's life in a camera bag.

Canon 5D Mark II | 28-70mm f/2.8L USM | Σ 70-200mm f/2.8 APO EX DG HSM OS | 85mm f/1.2L USM | Σ 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM | 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro | LR5 | PS CS5

nasnurse
41 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 25, 2011 23:46 |  #26

If you can swing it, it is nice to have both a crop and the FF giving you the best of both worlds. After getting a 5D a few months ago I find that I don't use my XSi as much anymore. I love this camera, it fits in my hand very well but the one adjustment I had to make was the difference in weight between the rebel line and a 5D but it didn't take too long for me to adjust, especially after I saw the difference in my photos. Speed wise, both my cameras do 3 frames per second but I have not noticed a problem taking photos of my sons hockey games as the shutter speed I think is more important than fps.

Canon 5D, 60D, Canon 24-105 L, 70-200 L 2.8, 55-250, 50mm 1.8, 18-200, Tamron 28-300 VC

kf095
Out buying Wheaties
6,802 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 26, 2011 08:40 |  #27

murkeywaters wrote in post #11711217 (external link)
That maybe the case but if the pictures are in a studio enviroment or taken with a aperture of f8.0 or above I'm sure they do look good but what i'm saying is that a FF sensor will enhance any flaws in a lens especially at wide open apertures.

Nothing wrong with a Nifty Fifty but as most comments say it does have its flaws at f1.8 and the 5D will use the full width of the lens and not just the centre like a crop sensor.

Thank you.

I found 50 1.8 to be very limited on crop, compare to how versatile it is on FF.
Not sure about "most comments". I read a lot of comments how great Nifty Fifty at FF is.
I think those "most comments" are due to bad copy or some limited skills.

IMAGE: http://lh6.ggpht.com/_hdZasF15SMc/TS4QY4hU6QI/AAAAAAAAQak/OOu9hRX-Dfk/IMG_0801.JPG

Model: Canon EOS 5D
ISO: 100
Exposure: 1/80 sec
Aperture: 1.8
Focal Length: 50mm
Flash Used: Yes

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

BrandonSi
Nevermind.. I'm silly.
5,306 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Jan 26, 2011 08:44 |  #28

50mm 1.8 + 5D can be magical. If you get a bad shot out of the combination, chances are the problem is with the photographer, not the equipment.

murkeywaters
229 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 26, 2011 09:00 |  #29

kf095 wrote in post #11717192 (external link)
Thank you.

I found 50 1.8 to be very limited on crop, compare to how versatile it is on FF.
Not sure about "most comments". I read a lot of comments how great Nifty Fifty at FF is.
I think those "most comments" are due to bad copy or some limited skills.

QUOTED IMAGE

Model: Canon EOS 5D
ISO: 100
Exposure: 1/80 sec
Aperture: 1.8
Focal Length: 50mm
Flash Used: Yes

Nice shot...

I was'nt saying the lens is a bad lens just that the FF sensor will show any flaws in a cheaper lens, lets face it the Niftey is cheap but outstanding for the money.

Have a look here its a well respected test and review site-
http://www.photozone.d​e …eos_ff/415-canon_50_18_ff (external link)

what they found with the 50mm f1.8 is my experience of using one and if you read several lens tests on FF bodies you will see mentioned lots of times the FF sensor shows flaws in lenses that a crop sensor will not.

The camera is just a storage box, it's the gLass in front that makes the image...

Roadhammer
61 posts
Joined May 2010

Jan 26, 2011 10:05 |  #30

Gedanken wrote in post #11710175 (external link)
Not sure how much help I'd be, but I went from the 50D to the 5D and kept the 50D.

Full frame opened up a whole new world for me - it didn't take long at all for me to take 80% of my shots with the 5D.

As a quick comparison between the two:

1) the 5D's IQ blows the 50D's clean out of the water
2) if you love bokeh, the 5D's a no-brainer
3) if you want high FPS, the 50D's a no-brainer
4) I really don't like the floppy action of the 5D's mirror - the sharp snap of the 50D's mirror just feel so good
5) I hate the 5D's LCD - good thing I prefer to review my photos on the computer

Hope this helps.

^^+1

I have a 50D and have recently purchased and used my 5D. I do love the image quality. I too wanted to get into FF but thought why buy a 5DMKII when the MKIII will come out this year. For now the 5D suits my needs and the average price is around 900 to 1100. Can't beat that.

I do miss some of the bells and whistles that my 50D has but then again it's newer. There are nice but not a necessity. I have kept my 50D but mostly use the 5D now. The biggest decision I think people should consider in switching from crop to FF is your lenses. If you have crop lenses you will definitely have to upgrade to L's and that can be quite expensive.

Good luck and hope this helps.

sponsored links

6,129 views & 0 likes for this thread
Looking for those who went from 50D to 5D
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.