Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 25 Jan 2011 (Tuesday) 05:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Great, just bloody great!

pilsburypie
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,122 posts
Joined May 2009

Jan 25, 2011 07:43 |  #16

TeamSpeed wrote in post #11710109 (external link)
How far did you insert the blower nozzle? Also, one shouldn't blow around the sensor ever. A person should just insert the nozzle tip right at the mount point, maybe a tad farther, and blow the sensor only. There lubricants and other material around the sensor, and they risk blowing small droplets back onto the sensor, thus requiring a wet cleaning. I am sure you did this correctly (4 puffs, only at sensor), this is info for others that may have never used a blower, then read this thread only to walk away thinking a blower is not appropriate, when in actuality it is.

I have used a blower on 10+ different bodies and never had an issue. It always cleaned off the dust. It appears to be droplets in your sample, perfectly round and small. Dust particles are usually not so perfectly round, especially at f11. Somehow something foreign moved from the surrounding area and landed on the sensor. If another few bursts won't dislodge these, it adds credence to the fact that this is probably a liquid of some sort.

I did just hold the nozzle at around lens mount level. That's why I'm so annoyed with the outcome. I didn't just slam into this willy nilly, I read about the perils and pitfalls and made a good effort to avoid them..... Will try another few blows and see if the original specs are in the same place to confirm or refute the liquid splash idea. Hell, sod it, I'm off to get my jet washer, that'll shift it!:eek:

Mark
Gear List

sponsored links
philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,252 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 25, 2011 07:43 |  #17

pilsburypie wrote in post #11710090 (external link)
Here you go Phil.

Onick - not as bad as yours. Well done you beat me!

edit: That isn't a hair ball at the bottom of the frame!

You can't possibly be complaining about that...
I'd take mine being that "dirty" any day of the week.
This is my 1D as of now.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

What it was a few weeks ago

HOSTED PHOTO

Edit:
just saw yours Nick - that's a pretty good effort.

Regards, Phil
2013/14 CAMS Gold Accredited Photographer | 2010 & 2011 V8 Supercars Aust. Accredited Photographer | 2008, '09, '10 South Aus. Rally Photographer of the Year | Catch Fence Photos - 2009 Photo of the Year (external link)Finallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office" | www.freewebs.com/philw​illmedia (external link)

pilsburypie
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,122 posts
Joined May 2009

Jan 25, 2011 07:45 |  #18

Jesus Phil, that would drive me up the wall, hence me trying to remove 2 specs of dust in the first place. I can't be doing with that, no siree.

Mark
Gear List

philodelphi
Goldmember
1,184 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined May 2008

Jan 25, 2011 07:52 |  #19

I've had phenomenally good results with the sensor pen, and it's cheap! Used it on a 40D and a 5DII with virtually perfect results. I use the rocket blower before and after using the pen, but I only blow directly on the sensor from just inside the mount point as others have said, and I literally blow until my hands get tired (that's what she said?) I put the camera pointing downwards on my tripod for stability.

Sony DSC-RX100M2 α7R III / ILCE-7RM3 Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 IV | Voigtlander 65mm F2 Macro APO-Lanthar | Venus Optics Laowa 15mm f/4 Macro | Sony FE 24-240mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sonnar T* FE 55mm F1.8 ZA FE 24mm f/1.4 GM | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x Macro Photo EF 135mm f/2L USM EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Sigma 100-400mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM | Tokina Firin 20mm f/2 FE MF | Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 Di III RXD

pilsburypie
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,122 posts
Joined May 2009

Jan 25, 2011 07:58 |  #20

Right, second go at it has made no difference therefore I conclude that either a) the dust is super sticky or b) the splatters are some sort of liquid. Either way booo hooo. Ordered Eclipse stuff and will try tomorrow. Listen out for my cries of dispair or whooping with glee..... If I were a betting man I know where my money would go!:o

First pic is the initial mess, second pic is after another go. No real difference

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Mark
Gear List

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,252 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 25, 2011 08:04 |  #21

pilsburypie wrote in post #11710284 (external link)
Jesus Phil, that would drive me up the wall, hence me trying to remove 2 specs of dust in the first place. I can't be doing with that, no siree.

Mate, get used to it or it will drive you up the wall - Edit - it seems like it already is
It's a fact of life with digital photography. Dust happens.
In the environments I shoot in it's virtually unavoidable.
If I need to change lenses, I do. I just try to minimise the dust factor. It only shows up like that at smaller apertures - generally about f16 and higher so I don't worry about it. It's not a big deal.
Sometimes annoying - yes, but usually anything that shows up, I just clone out.
Eliminating it is impossible unless you are in a certified dust free environment.
Think your house is clean? Go check your window sills - where did that dust come from.
It's the same thing - it's just there.

Regards, Phil
2013/14 CAMS Gold Accredited Photographer | 2010 & 2011 V8 Supercars Aust. Accredited Photographer | 2008, '09, '10 South Aus. Rally Photographer of the Year | Catch Fence Photos - 2009 Photo of the Year (external link)Finallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office" | www.freewebs.com/philw​illmedia (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,883 posts
Gallery: 103 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jan 25, 2011 08:05 |  #22

Yuck, yes it looks like a liquid of some sort. Wet cleaning will get rid of it, but it may take a couple of gos at it. The first one will get rid of most of it, but maybe smear a bit, the 2nd will take care of the smears.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock
For Sale: Ladies Thirty-One Camera Sling

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,883 posts
Gallery: 103 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jan 25, 2011 08:07 |  #23

philwillmedia wrote in post #11710375 (external link)
Mate, get used to it or it will drive you up the wall.
It's a fact of life with digital photography. Dust happens.
In the environments I shoot in it's virtually unavoidable.
If I need to change lenses, I do. I just try to minimise the dust factor. It only shows up like that at smaller apertures - generally about f16 and higher so I don't worry about it. It's not a big deal.
Sometimes annoying - yes, but usually anything that shows up, I just clone out.
Eliminating it is impossible unless you are in a certified dust free environment.
Think your house is clean? Go check your window sills - where did that dust come from.
It's the same thing - it's just there.

But this is not appropriate for f11. Usually dust on the sensor will still diffuse at that aperture. This appears to be something more "solid". :(

Your sample above was at f32 :)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock
For Sale: Ladies Thirty-One Camera Sling

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,078 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Jan 25, 2011 08:09 |  #24

I still think it's dust. Get the cleaner and see what happens. If worse comes to worse, you can send it in. I've cleaned my 5D sensor many times and it doesn't damage it.

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

pbelarge
Goldmember
2,835 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jan 25, 2011 08:17 |  #25

DetlevCM wrote in post #11710242 (external link)
Cheaper than "Eclipse" - 100% Isopronaol from the pharmacy.

Not a good idea, you can search for information on many sites that dissuade one from using isopropanol. It will streak on the sensor.

just a few of my thoughts...
Pierre

phreeky
Goldmember
3,499 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 25, 2011 08:19 |  #26

TeamSpeed wrote in post #11710384 (external link)

Yeah I'm not sure I've ever had my sensor look spotless @ F/32. But then how often do you shoot at F/32? The motion blur in Phils example is what helps show it, too - if there was actual detail rather than blur then dust would be hidden on those parts of the image.

So long as mine doesn't need more than a few quick clones on shots with sky @ F/11 or so then I couldn't care less.

BrandonSi
Nevermind.. I'm silly.
5,306 posts
Gallery: 62 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Jan 25, 2011 08:21 |  #27

I don't understand the whole concept behind sucking in dust-filled air into a blower, only to blow it right back out, directed at the sensor. I assume we've all seen a sun-beam, and the associated illuminated dust just floating in the air. That's what's going into your rocket blower.

People don't go around forcefully blowing on their shelves and bookcases when they dust at home, they wipe the dust off with the appropriate tools. I'm not sure why a sensor should be a special scenario.

Buy the wipes and the solution and be done with it! :D

[ www (external link)ยท flickr (external link)]

MichSt
Goldmember
1,042 posts
Gallery: 76 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 25, 2011 08:22 |  #28

There's a good write up on sensor cleaning in the link below. I'm out at construction sites and in the field most of the time with my gear, and 9 times out of 10 the brush and lens pen get rid of all the dust and grim. It's not often (once a year or so) that I have to go in and do a wet clean.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com …Tips/Sensor-Cleaning.aspx (external link)

Mario.Q

Canon EOS R

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,252 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 25, 2011 08:23 |  #29

TeamSpeed wrote in post #11710384 (external link)

Correct, it was and I bet if the OP goes to f32 he will see a bit more than he does now.
Even shaped spots like some of what are showing on the OP's pics are usually caused by excess oil in the mirror box splashing on to the sensor.
Dust is generally not of an even looking nature.

Same race meeting, same day, same location, same session -

Edit: and phreeky's right - an even slower shutter speed with these would have shown up more dust.

f5

HOSTED PHOTO

f20

HOSTED PHOTO

Regards, Phil

DetlevCM
Goldmember
3,431 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 25, 2011 15:51 |  #30

pbelarge wrote in post #11710430 (external link)
Not a good idea, you can search for information on many sites that dissuade one from using isopropanol. It will streak on the sensor.

Actually it wont.
-> or if it does it's not 100% pure Isopropanol.

It was recommended to me by my photography shop - they also offer a cleaning service, never had an issue (with 97%) - and taught me.
-> Since then I've been busy using Isopropanol (100% -> less streaking risk, and easier for the pharmacy which didn't have to dilute it) - absolutely NO streaking.

If you get streaking you have used significantly too much of it and anything else would have too.

Mind you, I said 100% Isopropanol - if you have 30% water in it, it might.

5D MK II AF Satisfaction Poll | Reduced Kit List
A Basic Guide to Photographyexternal link | Websiteexternal link
Flickrexternal link | Artflakesexternal link | Blurbexternal link

sponsored links

7,505 views & 0 likes for this thread
Great, just bloody great!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.