Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 25 Jan 2011 (Tuesday) 15:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

rechargeable or disposable batteries

dkmoy.photos
146 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jan 25, 2011 15:52 |  #1

hello,

i just have a quick question:

do you prefer rechargeable or disposable batteries? the reason i ask is i have never used rechargeable batteries before so i have minimal experience with them.

i'm looking into this now since i got a 580ex ii and considering carrying my grip AA batteries insert as well.

thanks for the input.

"A good photograph is knowing where to stand" - Adam Ansel
Follow my Project 365 progress
www.instagram.com/dkmo​y.photos (external link)

sponsored links
Phi404
111 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 25, 2011 16:01 |  #2

I've always preferred rechargeable ones, especially my set of Eneloops, since they're so convenient not worrying about not having a set handy, environmentally friendly, and save $ in the long run.

Gripped Canon 350D ; Mamiya/Sekor 1000 DTL
Tammy 28-80mm & 70-300, Canon 50/1.8
Yashinon 50/1.5, Mamiya/Sekor 55/1.8, Vivitar 80-200/3.8, Super-Takumar 135/3.5

Pennington
280 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jan 25, 2011 16:04 |  #3

Rechargable are hugely more efficient and cost effective than disposable. While the initial cost for a pack of 4 AA's is higher, they'll easily last a couple of years, which more than recoups the purchase price. Plus you always have them on hand to recharge/use, instead of running out of disposable ones.

Do yourself a favor and buy a good charger that will allow you to slow charge them, which is better for the batteries, and that has a reconditioning option, which will repeatedly cycle the batteries until they return to peak performance condition.

I'd suggest a charger that can handle at least 8 AA's at a time.

cristphoto
954 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jan 25, 2011 16:36 |  #4

dkmoy118 wrote in post #11712951 (external link)
hello,

i just have a quick question:

do you prefer rechargeable or disposable batteries? the reason i ask is i have never used rechargeable batteries before so i have minimal experience with them.

i'm looking into this now since i got a 580ex ii and considering carrying my grip AA batteries insert as well.

thanks for the input.

I use rechargeables most of the time but I keep several packs of Lithium AA's around just in case I have an emergency shoot and haven't topped off my rechargeables. If I convert to the Eneloop style battery my guess is I can forego the Lithiums. If I'm not mistaken the Eneloop style presently doesn't have the MaH capacity of the "normal" NIMH batteries.

5D MKIV x2, 24L II, 35L II, 50L, 85LIS, 100LIS Macro, 135L, 300LIS, 16-35LIS, 24-70L, 70-200LIS, 100-400LIS

dkmoy.photos
THREAD ­ STARTER
146 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jan 25, 2011 17:36 as a reply to  @ cristphoto's post |  #5

thanks...

any particular brands that i should look into? i

Eric911
56 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 25, 2011 17:40 |  #6

Sanyo Eneloop (external link)
Various on-line sources and check Costco.

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,315 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 25, 2011 17:45 |  #7

Eneloops have all but completely replaced my use of alkaline batteries. Not only do I used them in my flash, I use them in remote controls, wall clocks, kitchen timers, and pretty much anything else that runs off a AAA or AA battery. Its their low self discharge property that has finally made rechargeable batteries appropriate for low draw applications like remote controls.

dkmoy.photos
THREAD ­ STARTER
146 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jan 25, 2011 19:53 |  #8

Eric911 wrote in post #11713571 (external link)

thanks for the link.

mike_d wrote in post #11713604 (external link)
Eneloops have all but completely replaced my use of alkaline batteries. Not only do I used them in my flash, I use them in remote controls, wall clocks, kitchen timers, and pretty much anything else that runs off a AAA or AA battery. Its their low self discharge property that has finally made rechargeable batteries appropriate for low draw applications like remote controls.

great to know, i'll look into picking some up this weekend

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 26, 2011 13:35 |  #9

dkmoy118 wrote in post #11714219 (external link)
Eric911 wrote in post #11713571 (external link)

thanks for the link.

Or Maha PowerEX (external link). They are 2700 mAh vs. 2000 for the Eneloops. Either way, you should consider getting a smart charger if you plan to buy many batteries. They can increase the life of your batteries. I have the PowerEX MH-C9000 (external link).

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Jan 26, 2011 16:32 |  #10

Most of the "High capacity" AAs have a very high self-discharge rate. After 2-3 days they can have less power potential than a set of Eneloops that have been sitting around for a month or so.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

maltau571
310 posts
Joined May 2010

Jan 26, 2011 17:14 |  #11

Go for the eneloops mate. They are magic. So powerful. They are the best

“Photography calls many, but chooses few”
CANON EOS 1000D GRIPPED EF-S 18-55mm IS II-50mm f1.8-SIGMA 18-250 DC OS HSM
WISH LIST : Canon 24-105L - SIGMA 10-20mm
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/maltau571/ (external link)

anthony11
Goldmember
2,148 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 26, 2011 17:18 |  #12

Jon wrote in post #11720005 (external link)
Most of the "High capacity" AAs have a very high self-discharge rate. After 2-3 days they can have less power potential than a set of Eneloops that have been sitting around for a month or so.

This is definitely the case with my set of Powerex 2600's.

Check the long comment thread for the La Crosse BC-9009 on Amazon for more info than you dreamed possible.

5D2, 24-105L, 85mm f/1.8, MP960, HG21, crumbling G6+R72, Brownian toddler

r.morales
Goldmember
2,296 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 26, 2011 19:48 |  #13

Depends -
I have rechargeables , but when getting on an airplane , they are left at home - when you carry for grip , and the flash + the charger - that weight is more than another lens .
3 years ago I left a charger and 24 rechargeables in Mexico - they were in 2 plastic cases and were so corroded I tossed last year . Just bought batteries for flash , flash light and clocks , 6 inch fluorescence and 6 inch black light .
The ones I have here are OK and I keep them in the same type plastic container . The 6 inch fluorescence and 6 inch black light seemed brighter with the alkali throw aways .

Gear List

SYS
Cream of the Crop
9,217 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2004

Jan 26, 2011 21:26 |  #14

It's not as simple as EITHER/OR. The rechargeables have their own PROs and CONs and likewise with the disposables. The trick is to know when to use what and understanding the strengths and weaknesses of each kind of batteries.

Assuming that you're primarily interested in "AA" and perhaps "AAA" rechargeable batteries for photography related devices...

For flash unit, I'd recommend using the highest mAh "AA" Nimh rechargeables (like Powerex 2700's) for intensive, one time sessions, such as weddings and other events for greatest number of flash pops. The disadvantage with such high mAh rechargeables is that they have a faster self-discharge rate, especially as they start to suffer from memory effect from repeated use. You'll end up having to recharge right before each use with such rechargeable kinds. For non-intensive, intermittent use where LSD (low self-discharge) batteries have an advantage, I'd recommend eneloops. For flash use where fast recycle time and the number of flash pops are crucial, both rechargeable kinds easily beat any brand of alkalines out there.

For low consumption units like PWII's and other similar devices, I'd use either the best "AA" LSD (eneloop) rechargeables or alkalines. Here, alkalines might have slight edge over rechargeables, except it's not as "green" and they could damage the units due to leakage if unattended for a long period of time and under certain temperature. As for "AAA" batteries for TV remotes, wireless PC mouse, house fire alarms, and such, I recommend disposable alkalines for greater duration over their rechargeable cousins. But then you'll have to decide based on their own pros and cons: rechargeables are more economic and "greener" but a hassle of having to recharge very frequently, whereas the disposable alternative has an advantage with the duration of effectiveness but definitely more economical and green.

I'm sure things would change as battery technology advances, so my recommendations are for the current status quo.

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,315 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 26, 2011 21:54 |  #15

SYS wrote in post #11721954 (external link)
As for "AAA" batteries for TV remotes, wireless PC mouse, house fire alarms, and such, I recommend disposable alkalines for greater duration over their rechargeable cousins. But then you'll have to decide based on their own pros and cons: rechargeables are more economic and "greener" but a hassle of having to recharge very frequently, whereas the disposable alternative has an advantage with the duration of effectiveness but definitely more economical and green.

I solve that by having enough Eneloops charged up and sitting in the drawer.

sponsored links

5,943 views & 0 likes for this thread
rechargeable or disposable batteries
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.