Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Bird Talk 
Thread started 15 Jan 2011 (Saturday) 15:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Photographing KIngfishers: My Article at WildlifeSouth

Jack ­ Cooper
Goldmember
2,374 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 22, 2011 23:33 |  #16

Great job.

sponsored links
Nighthound
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
11,675 posts
Gallery: 226 photos
Best ofs: 24
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 23, 2011 00:01 |  #17

Thanks Bill, Mathew, Dan and Jack, greatly appreciate the kind comments.

Dan, I save that move for the marsh birds, confuses the gators. :)

Steve
Canon Gear: 1D Mark IV | 1D Mark II | 5D | 20D | 500L IS (f/4) | 100-400L
SteveEllwoodPhotograph​y.com (external link)

Outdoorsman11
31 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 23, 2011 10:49 |  #18

AWESOME PHOTOS Steve, the kingfisher is what fasinated me into nature photography...i have some long shots but nothing like yours, i have a river(white river in indiana) that has some Kingfishers and one place theres' a cliff with soil showing. so this spring , i'll do some scouting, which is what i do best and maybe get lucky and get some nature photos on some perches..of course i'll set-up a blind..............tha​nks for the inspiration and tips.....Outdoorsman11

Nighthound
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
11,675 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 23, 2011 19:34 |  #19

Outdoorsman11 wrote in post #11697796 (external link)
AWESOME PHOTOS Steve, the kingfisher is what fasinated me into nature photography...i have some long shots but nothing like yours, i have a river(white river in indiana) that has some Kingfishers and one place theres' a cliff with soil showing. so this spring , i'll do some scouting, which is what i do best and maybe get lucky and get some nature photos on some perches..of course i'll set-up a blind..............tha​nks for the inspiration and tips.....Outdoorsman11

Thanks, Outdoorsman. I'm glad you enjoyed and hope that you get the results you're after.

It sounds like the location you mention might be prime breeding grounds. Good luck there but please use caution at nesting time, these birds require space. Don't want to stress them while they build the population. :)

Steve

luciddreamer
861 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jan 24, 2011 13:34 |  #20

Nighthound wrote in post #11700747 (external link)
Thanks, Outdoorsman. I'm glad you enjoyed and hope that you get the results you're after.

It sounds like the location you mention might be prime breeding grounds. Good luck there but please use caution at nesting time, these birds require space. Don't want to stress them while they build the population. :)

Great point Steve. I don't think that can be stressed enough. Respect the wildlife folks. It's their home, we humans have messed it up enough as it is. Give them distance to live as they should.

materialism ~
preoccupation with or emphasis on material objects, comforts, and considerations, with a disinterest in or rejection of spiritual, intellectual, or cultural values.

catsith
Mighty Award Winner
6,265 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jan 25, 2011 19:44 |  #21

Thanks Tina. I just spent the last twenty minutes or so admiring your stunning bird photography. You have an amazing talent and incredible variety in your gallery. I keep dreaming of a trip to the Aussie paradise of Avian bliss.

Thankyou Steve, your lovely comments are very much appreciated. I guess I am very lucky, I travel a fair bit, and always seem to capture something, but rarely have I actually spent time like you do, in hides, or stalking, and I really admire your work! I keep dreaming of a trip to florida and the birds there! There really isn't an awful lot close to where I live, except down the road is an egret nesting colony, but the conditions there leave a lot to be desired, so often it is just pot luck to get something a bit better than ordinary.

Tina

www.tinadial.smugmug.c​om (external link)

Muteki
200 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jan 26, 2011 13:24 |  #22

Good article Steve! Probaby the cheapest blinds that I could get and looks quite camouflage to me (not to curious humans though ;P). I might consider your method this spring/summer.

Raymond

Gears| (external link)Flickr |  (external link)5∞px (external link)|  (external link)Facebook (external link)

Darren09
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 27, 2011 02:39 as a reply to  @ post 11695085 |  #23

"One day I hope to capture the ultimate Kingfisher photo of a female feeding her young."

I hope you achieve that shot soon and I look forward to it. :)

Portrait Photography Singapore - Halcyon Media
http://www.portraitsph​otographysingapore.com​/ (external link)

icassell
Goldmember
2,671 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 28, 2011 22:40 |  #24

Great article and beautiful images, Steve. Those guys have been my nemesis. My best images of them are horrible. One of these days ...

Ian - http://www.icassell.sm​ugmug.com (external link)
Canon 7D2, 7D, 30D, Canon 500 f/4L, Canon EF 400/5.6L, Canon 70-200/2.8L II, Canon 100/2.8 Macro, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Canon 50/1.8 Mk I, Canon 40/2.8 STM, Rokinon 8/3.5 FE., Sigma 10-20EX/4-5.6, Sigma 1.4X and 2X EX, Canon 1.4x II, Induro CT313/AT214/GHB-2, Canon 600EX-RT, Olympus TG-3

Nighthound
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
11,675 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 29, 2011 09:34 |  #25

luciddreamer wrote in post #11705392 (external link)
Great point Steve. I don't think that can be stressed enough. Respect the wildlife folks. It's their home, we humans have messed it up enough as it is. Give them distance to live as they should.

Absolutely, nature first-photos are secondary.

catsith wrote in post #11714175 (external link)
Thankyou Steve, your lovely comments are very much appreciated. I guess I am very lucky, I travel a fair bit, and always seem to capture something, but rarely have I actually spent time like you do, in hides, or stalking, and I really admire your work! I keep dreaming of a trip to florida and the birds there! There really isn't an awful lot close to where I live, except down the road is an egret nesting colony, but the conditions there leave a lot to be desired, so often it is just pot luck to get something a bit better than ordinary.

You're welcome Tina. I'm a firm believer that when we have to work to find the subjects and direct more attention and effort to "making" the shots we advance our skills quicker as well as gaining the important knowledge of animal behavior.

Muteki wrote in post #11718890 (external link)
Good article Steve! Probaby the cheapest blinds that I could get and looks quite camouflage to me (not to curious humans though ;P). I might consider your method this spring/summer.

Thanks. The price is right and it gets the job done. Once you find the location then it's all about technique (and a little luck doesn't hurt either).

Darren09 wrote in post #11723230 (external link)
"One day I hope to capture the ultimate Kingfisher photo of a female feeding her young."

I hope you achieve that shot soon and I look forward to it. :)

Thanks. It's tucked away in the back of my mind but ya gotta dream. :)

icassell wrote in post #11735067 (external link)
Great article and beautiful images, Steve. Those guys have been my nemesis. My best images of them are horrible. One of these days ...

Thanks. Keep at it and you'll succeed. You just have to play by their rules.

Steve

myphotographic
218 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jan 30, 2011 18:33 |  #26

I managed to get my first decent photo of a Kingfisher today. Lots of waiting around in a hide all weekend, getting cold feet. Today's first sighting was a pair flying by at top speed, then ten minutes later a female landed on a perch. I had time to take a single photo before she flew off. I saw her a few times more but never through the lens.
http://www.myphotograp​hic.com/photo.php?ph=3​16 (external link)

Paul

Nighthound
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
11,675 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 02, 2011 07:58 |  #27

myphotographic wrote in post #11744818 (external link)
I managed to get my first decent photo of a Kingfisher today. Lots of waiting around in a hide all weekend, getting cold feet. Today's first sighting was a pair flying by at top speed, then ten minutes later a female landed on a perch. I had time to take a single photo before she flew off. I saw her a few times more but never through the lens.
http://www.myphotograp​hic.com/photo.php?ph=3​16 (external link)

Congratulations on this great shot. With these birds patience and persistence are so important. I've stood in my make shift blind at 20F for three hours many mornings so I know how they make you work for it. You are so fortunate to have this species to photograph, they're incredibly colorful.

Good luck and please post more, looking forward to seeing them.

Steve

myphotographic
218 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Feb 02, 2011 16:32 |  #28

I plan to spend Saturday in the hide again. However it's fast approaching the start of breeding season, and under UK law you need a licence to photograph Kingfishers near their nests so there's going to be a limited window before I had to start showing restraint by finding something else to shoot.

Paul

Candor
Goldmember
4,851 posts
Gallery: 114 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 02, 2011 20:48 |  #29

Very nice article Steve and I hope to put it to use very soon. I found a nice spot last weekend for Kingfishers and already have my spot picked out. It was cold last weekend and the perch was covered in ice where the Kingfisher was repeatedly diving and coming back and shedding water on the limb. Unfortunately, it won't have nice light until the late afternoon so I will need to set up in the middle of the afternoon so hopefully the KF's drive to fish this spot will override it's wariness of my strange presence.

Superb set of shots as usual.

Mike
MikesWildLife (external link)
flickr (external link)

Nighthound
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
11,675 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 05, 2011 13:30 |  #30

myphotographic wrote in post #11765142 (external link)
I plan to spend Saturday in the hide again. However it's fast approaching the start of breeding season, and under UK law you need a licence to photograph Kingfishers near their nests so there's going to be a limited window before I had to start showing restraint by finding something else to shoot.

I hope you got some opportunities. I wish such laws were in place here for the good of the species. They seem to thrive here so they do manage on their own but a little added protection wouldn't hurt. It seems the Belted variety are pretty good about making their nest in fairly secluded places which I'm sure plays a role in their success as a species.

Candor wrote in post #11766591 (external link)
Very nice article Steve and I hope to put it to use very soon. I found a nice spot last weekend for Kingfishers and already have my spot picked out. It was cold last weekend and the perch was covered in ice where the Kingfisher was repeatedly diving and coming back and shedding water on the limb. Unfortunately, it won't have nice light until the late afternoon so I will need to set up in the middle of the afternoon so hopefully the KF's drive to fish this spot will override it's wariness of my strange presence.

Superb set of shots as usual.

Thanks Mike, best of luck on your new location. I prefer daybreak and late afternoon/evening myself not only for the sweet light but also for the cooler temps in the warm months. SC summers can be pretty brutal. Please post your shots when you get 'em.

Steve

sponsored links

6,953 views & 0 likes for this thread
Photographing KIngfishers: My Article at WildlifeSouth
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Bird Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.