Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 27 Jan 2011 (Thursday) 17:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Oh no I killed it!!

murkeywaters
229 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 27, 2011 17:43 |  #1

Just wondered if any of you have had that sickening feeling of where you think you have killed your camera or lens, I have....

Recently covered a wedding and whilst changing my lens somehow I dropped my 5D2, now all around me was grass and on top of that 4 inches of snow, but guess what I was stood on a small patio that had been cleared of snow for the guests.

SMACK went the 5D2 right on the stone slab, S#+T I almost shouted out but then relised lots of guests looking at me with sorry looks on their faces.

To my amazement when I picked it up it all looked fine and still is fine it landed on the battery grip and luckily enough never had a lens on the front, the 580 on top of it felt all loose around the mount but still worked but after a few hours it parted with the mount wires and all :(
Cant moan though the repair cost me £50.00 could have been worse.

The camera is just a storage box, it's the gLass in front that makes the image...

sponsored links
macroshooter1970
Cream of the Crop
7,494 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 27, 2011 17:48 |  #2

Never had that problem, glad yours wasn't as bad as it could of been.

LiquidSword
383 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jan 27, 2011 17:52 |  #3

Glad to say that I've never had an experience like that yet.

Anderson
1Ds MK II, Tamron 17-35mm, EF 50mm 1.8, EF 100-300mm USM.

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 27, 2011 18:51 |  #4

Wowww....you're lucky...very, very lucky haha.

The last time I dropped a camera, I was in high school and accidentally knocked my 1980s (the camera is only a few years younger than I am haha) Soviet Zenit 12XP off the top shelf of my locker onto the floor...I'm pretty sure it cracked the floor ;)

Other than that...never dropped anything *knock on wood*

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,534 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 27, 2011 19:16 as a reply to  @ LowriderS10's post |  #5

Yup; had a shoulder strap let go of the 7D + 100-400 a couple months back, while walking on an asphalt path. Combo hit the ground, lens hood popped off and rolled away; just about go sick.

Picked it up, dusted it off...nothing rattling...works fine <shrug> Make damned CERTAIN that hooks and mounting plates are secure as they can be now before slinging anything off my shoulder.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

adivineeternity
335 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 27, 2011 19:32 |  #6

My senior year of high school I didn't even OWN a digital camera, so on the last day of class I borrowed my mom's (she never used it, anyway) and, naturally, dropped it in the first couple hours of the day. It was just a clunky, crappy point-and-shoot, but it was all I had and I spent all of second and third hours panicking because it didn't work anymore and I was convinced my mom was going to kill me. Fourth hour it occurred to me to check the battery compartment and, sure enough, one of the pins had somehow been bent in the drop, so I fixed that with a pencil and the camera worked perfectly fine afterward.

I have a flickr (external link)

bruceq
108 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jan 27, 2011 19:41 as a reply to  @ adivineeternity's post |  #7

Years ago I took my wifes waterproof P&S white water rafting. It was great fun snapping pictures throughout the trip while everyone else kept putting theirs in the drybag when we got to the next rapids.

All was fine until I was back on dry ground... swinging the camera in loops while holding onto the strap. I didn't feel quite as smug when the strap let loose and launched the camera 15' away and onto the parking lot blacktop. :cry:

Thank god I've learned how to take care of cameras since then!

Cameras - 5D MkII/Grip, 7D/Grip, T1i/Grip
Lens - EF-S 10-22, EF-S 18-55, EF 35-70, EF-S 55-250, EF 17-40L, EF 24-105L IS, EF 70-200 2.8L IS, EF 70-210, EF 100-400L, Sigma 150-500 OS, EF 100L IS, EF 180L, EF 85 1.8, EF 50 1.8

JayCee ­ Images
Goldmember
1,544 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 27, 2011 20:39 as a reply to  @ bruceq's post |  #8

I know the feeling... Its not "if" you drop your camera...its "when". ;)

I dropped my 5DMKii with a 24-70 on the front a few nights ago...fell about 4 feet straight to the tile floor. First time I have ever fumbled a piece of gear. Seriously made me sick to my stomach watching 3500+ dollars go sailing in slow motion through the air and nothing I could do to stop it!

Survived and still works like a champ...plus a few battle scars... a nice dent on the filter threads and a ding on the rear, bottom left corner. :D

Nobody cares about your gear list...

SaxonIV
768 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 27, 2011 20:43 |  #9

bruceq wrote in post #11727983 (external link)
Years ago I took my wifes waterproof P&S white water rafting. It was great fun snapping pictures throughout the trip while everyone else kept putting theirs in the drybag when we got to the next rapids.

All was fine until I was back on dry ground... swinging the camera in loops while holding onto the strap. I didn't feel quite as smug when the strap let loose and launched the camera 15' away and onto the parking lot blacktop. :cry:

Thank god I've learned how to take care of cameras since then!

classic made me laugh for sure.

Darkwand
Goldmember
1,850 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 27, 2011 20:47 |  #10

The 580EX has a "break pin" so that it doesen't break the camera hot-shoe if it get's bent to hard.

Adrian My Flickr (external link)
Canon 6D, Canon 7D, Canon 500D, Canon 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 IS, 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM, 50mm f/1.4 USM, 85mm f/1,8 USM, Sigma 70-200mm HSM Macro, 10-20mm f/4-5,6

Manfrotto 055 CXPRO4 + 498RC2, Manfrotto 410 Junior, Elinchrom: RX1200, 2x BRX250 , Dlite-it 4 and 2, Canon 580EXII

flowrider
Goldmember
3,586 posts
Gallery: 124 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 27, 2011 22:31 |  #11

I've dropped a couple of cameras in my time. Once on a beach shoot I dropped my Mamiya RZ67. Luckily hit hit the sand and was none for the worse. Another time I dropped my Contax slr at the time and snapped the head off my Metz 60CT-1. That one hurt.

~Steve~
~ My Website-stevelowephoto.com (external link) ~ Facebook (external link)
Feedback Feedback Feedback

Fureinku
Goldmember
1,339 posts
Joined May 2006

Jan 27, 2011 22:37 |  #12

this is hardly an advertisement for any future for sale ads by any of us but..

i left my backpack unzipped and i picked it up.. 17-70, 40D and 70-200 took a spill, around 10 witnesses.. im sure time stopped for about 30 secs, but all work, no damage

Gear List | Wish List |

cassidyphuey
379 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jan 28, 2011 01:01 |  #13

When I first bought the Nikon D90 when it came out, my cousin wanted to "hold" it because he had never seen a dslr before. I gave it to him and as he walking with it out to the parking lot, he decided to grab on the neck strap and before I knew it, the electronic doors of Fry's clamped onto the strap and he was tugging the D90 while it was still behind the door and everyone was outside of the store.

To this day, I won't let him touch anything camera that I own. Family or not, he's not touching nothing.

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 28, 2011 01:16 |  #14

Fureinku wrote in post #11729019 (external link)
this is hardly an advertisement for any future for sale ads by any of us but..

i left my backpack unzipped and i picked it up.. 17-70, 40D and 70-200 took a spill, around 10 witnesses.. im sure time stopped for about 30 secs, but all work, no damage

Oh man...I've done the whole pick up a backpack while unzipped thing...thankfully nothing ever happens (except that dropped stomach feeling) because I KNEW I'd do this when I arranged the padding in my backpack and put an extra pieces OVER top of my gear, specifically to prevent them from falling out when picked up with an open zipper...this is what it looks like:

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://img.photobucket​.com …erS10/Random/DS​C02997.jpg (external link)

Even my baby backpack has a nifty strap for preventing such tragedies:

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://img.photobucket​.com …erS10/Random/DS​C05192.jpg (external link)

cassidyphuey wrote in post #11729518 (external link)
When I first bought the Nikon D90 when it came out, my cousin wanted to "hold" it because he had never seen a dslr before. I gave it to him and as he walking with it out to the parking lot, he decided to grab on the neck strap and before I knew it, the electronic doors of Fry's clamped onto the strap and he was tugging the D90 while it was still behind the door and everyone was outside of the store.

To this day, I won't let him touch anything camera that I own. Family or not, he's not touching nothing.

I rarely ever let anyone touch my gear...if they do, it's within arm's reach of me and I make them put the neck strap on before they can handle it...but even then, I don't think anyone other than me has pressed the shutter release button on my 1D since I bought it haha

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

MOkoFOko
nut impotent and avoiding Geoff
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jan 28, 2011 01:31 |  #15

Once had a family member pulling a luggage cart with my padded camera bag on top. It got turned and the whole cart fell over. My padded bag only went down a foot or two--and it was very well padded--but the 580ex speedlite didn't survive. The lamp completely shattered. That was absolutely pathetic. It's my belief that flash lamps are the weakest link.

I also had a P&S camera in the storage compartment of a waverunner--some water managed to get in, and totally toasted it.

My Gearlist

sponsored links

4,079 views & 0 likes for this thread
Oh no I killed it!!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.