Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 20 Jan 2011 (Thursday) 11:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

For those with sling camera straps

dkmoy.photos
146 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jan 20, 2011 11:00 |  #1

hello,

i have a question regarding those who own/use sling style camera straps such as the black rapid rs series.

when using the strap do you also carry a camera bag?

the reason i ask is because i own a 7mdh bag which i carry on my shoulder or across with the bag sitting on my lower back. with that said you can see how a sling style strap can be less accommodating.

i am still considering a sling style strap for photo walks around the city w/o my camera bag.

what are your thoughts? how many of us use a camera bag and a sling style strap with no issues?

thanks for the input.

"A good photograph is knowing where to stand" - Adam Ansel
Follow my Project 365 progress
www.instagram.com/dkmo​y.photos (external link)

sponsored links
lilmill
195 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jan 20, 2011 11:12 |  #2

I have a black rapid, and when using a backpack it is kind of a pain when changing lenses because you have to take the camera strap off to remove backpack, where as a traditional camera strap you can leave the camera around your next. Most of the time I usually take the backpack off. I don't think I could ever go back to the standard strap. The black rapid is so much more comfortable, and quicker access . I'm usually using the 70-200 2.8 and even with the weight it's great not holding the camera just letting it hang. And bang it's ready to shoot when you need it. But every now and then with the camera rubbing my side the auto focus gets shut off. Need to put some gaffers tape on to stop it.

7D,20D 3l's and a couple ef's
G10,D10, SD630
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/lilmill/ (external link)

dkmoy.photos
THREAD ­ STARTER
146 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jan 20, 2011 12:33 |  #3

lilmill wrote in post #11678844 (external link)
I have a black rapid, and when using a backpack it is kind of a pain when changing lenses because you have to take the camera strap off to remove backpack, where as a traditional camera strap you can leave the camera around your next. Most of the time I usually take the backpack off. I don't think I could ever go back to the standard strap. The black rapid is so much more comfortable, and quicker access . I'm usually using the 70-200 2.8 and even with the weight it's great not holding the camera just letting it hang. And bang it's ready to shoot when you need it. But every now and then with the camera rubbing my side the auto focus gets shut off. Need to put some gaffers tape on to stop it.

thanks for this

"A good photograph is knowing where to stand" - Adam Ansel
Follow my Project 365 progress
www.instagram.com/dkmo​y.photos (external link)

Voaky999
Goldmember
3,311 posts
Gallery: 792 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 20, 2011 12:39 |  #4

I use a blackrapid strap and a 6MDH bag when walking around. I keep the bag on one side with the strap over my head on the opposite shoulder while doing the reverse if I have my camera out. Clunky but works pretty good.

Don
"Knowledge is Good" Emil Faber

2mnycars
Goldmember
3,035 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 20, 2011 12:45 |  #5

Someone here posted showing a sling bag strap being used to support a camera; the slider fitting was connected to the tripod socket and slid freely on the bag strap.
Sorry, no link.

Best,

Dave

Miklebud
130 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 20, 2011 12:54 |  #6

lilmill wrote in post #11678844 (external link)
I have a black rapid, and when using a backpack it is kind of a pain when changing lenses because you have to take the camera strap off to remove backpack,

That's why I had the BR Strap UNDER my backpack. I take my backpack off a lot more than the sling strap. I just went on vacation and had my RS-5 and a backpack on for 10 hours a day. It was VERY comfortable and super easy to use. I'm so very satisfied with my Black Rapid RS-5.

50D, Sigma 10-20 EX DC HSM, Sigma 18-50 DC EX Macro, Canon 100 2.8 Macro, Canon 55-250 IS, Canon 50 1.8II, Yongnuo 460-II
Flickr (external link)

blssdwlf
543 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jan 20, 2011 19:39 |  #7

I don't have a backpack that is conducive to quick lens changes (Lowepro Orion Trekker) so I end up with my backpack on and my CS strap (BR competitor) over the backpack and my second lens off my belt or in a jacket pocket. If I need to take the backpack off, I swing the strap forward to hang off my neck like a conventional strap and take the backpack off.

Now changing lenses with a speed strap is a little different though :D

Regards,
Peter
--= gear: 400D / 17-50 / 55-250 / nifty-50 / flash / etc =--

lannes
Goldmember
4,370 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 20, 2011 20:38 |  #8

On two of my bags I'm using the main bag strap as the sling strap and just attaching the karrabiner to the Black Rapid FastenR/3

1Dx, 1DM4, 5DM2, 7D, EOS-M, 8-15L, 17-40L, 24 TSE II, 24-105L, 50L, 85L II, 100L, 135L, 200L f/2.8, 300L f/4, 70-200L II, 70-300L, 400Lf/5.6

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,380 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 20, 2011 21:01 |  #9

Camera sling=left shoulder to right hip
Camera bag=right shoulder to left hip

2mnycars
Goldmember
3,035 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 21, 2011 08:32 |  #10

I see the sling strap as something that helps me shoot instantly. So I guess I don't want to compromise this by blocking its use by another strap, bag or backpack.
mike_d has it right for me.

lannes thanks for saying what I tried to say, and saying it better!

Best,

Dave

lilmill
195 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jan 21, 2011 09:35 |  #11

Anyone else having the problem of the focus switching to manual from rubbing. I have also thought about sending my 7d into canon for 100 bucks they will change the mode dial to the locking style like on the 60d ive grabbed mine b4 and stared firing shoots quickly only to realize the mode has been changed to tv.

7D,20D 3l's and a couple ef's
G10,D10, SD630
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/lilmill/ (external link)

Bang ­ Bang ­ Boy
Goldmember
1,347 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 27, 2011 19:26 |  #12

lilmill wrote in post #11685175 (external link)
Anyone else having the problem of the focus switching to manual from rubbing. I have also thought about sending my 7d into canon for 100 bucks they will change the mode dial to the locking style like on the 60d ive grabbed mine b4 and stared firing shoots quickly only to realize the mode has been changed to tv.

Nah actually never happened to me. Though I have had friendly photographers grab it and change all the settings minutes before a paid concert shoot.

Imagine my facial expression the first five seconds. Luckily I still got alright shots.

Lots of old stuff but hey I am a student
Photojournalist in Johannesburg.

STP03BlueSi
656 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Jan 27, 2011 20:07 |  #13

Looking at prob purchasing a sling soon.

Brut-Photography.com
Facebook (external link) Brut_Photography - Instagram
"I have photographed cars you have used in Forza"
Canon 7D MKii

randomlinh
992 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jan 27, 2011 20:13 |  #14

I don't have a BR yet (hard to swallow the price) but carry my camera across the body. I also have a retrospective 10 i work out of. I just have the bag on first, left side, camera next, right side.

sponsored links

3,044 views & 0 likes for this thread
For those with sling camera straps
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.