Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 21 Jan 2011 (Friday) 18:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

favorite papers for Canon 9000MkII ?

ChasP505
"brain damaged old guy"
5,566 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 23, 2011 11:09 |  #16

Rafromak wrote in post #11695301 (external link)
For some reason very white and bright glossy papers result in more vivid prints. Maybe I am imagining things... since I am not an expert by any means, just cheap?

I'm willing to take your word for it and believe you're not hallucinating. ;)

Chas P
"It doesn't matter how you get there if you don't know where you're going!"https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=10864029#po​st10864029

sponsored links
ChasP505
"brain damaged old guy"
5,566 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 23, 2011 11:19 |  #17

buggz wrote in post #11697342 (external link)
Wow, I know EXACTLY what you mean!
I have been using the CS5 soft proofing lately, simulating paper color, and ALL of the canned profiles I have look like a fog,
or haze is applied to the image.
Muddy images.
The canned Canon Pro Platinum profile shows the least of this effect.

Try softproofing without turning on Simulate Paper White, and apply a small brightening curve just before printing. I typically create a curves adjustment layer and place a point dead center. Then slightly move it to brighten/lighten the image before printing. The amount will depend on the image and the whiteness of the paper.

Chas P
"It doesn't matter how you get there if you don't know where you're going!"https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=10864029#po​st10864029

Rayk
Goldmember
1,824 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 23, 2011 16:40 |  #18

Try Permajet & Ilford, i have a 9500 pro MKII, great results, a 9000 should work just as well, just download the correct profiles.

Regards Ray
LRPS - Licentiateship of The Royal Photographic Society- CPAGB - ACA - Adobe Certified Associate -
www.rakphotographic.co​m (external link)
Follow me on Facebook (external link)
Follow me on Twitter (external link)

ChasP505
"brain damaged old guy"
5,566 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 23, 2011 16:52 |  #19

Rayk wrote in post #11699762 (external link)
Try Permajet & Ilford, i have a 9500 pro MKII, great results, a 9000 should work just as well, just download the correct profiles.

Remember that your 9500 is a pigment ink model while the 9000 mkII uses dye ink.

Chas P

Rayk
Goldmember
1,824 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 23, 2011 17:01 |  #20

ChasP505 wrote in post #11699843 (external link)
Remember that your 9500 is a pigment ink model while the 9000 mkII uses dye ink.

So?

Regards Ray
LRPS - Licentiateship of The Royal Photographic Society- CPAGB - ACA - Adobe Certified Associate -

ChasP505
"brain damaged old guy"
5,566 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 23, 2011 17:05 |  #21

Rayk wrote in post #11699906 (external link)
So?

So some papers do well with pigment, not with dye (or the reverse).

Chas P

Rayk
Goldmember
1,824 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 23, 2011 17:07 |  #22

ChasP505 wrote in post #11699925 (external link)
So some papers do well with pigment, not with dye.

Thats why i said - profiles, also check, check and double check.

Regards Ray

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 23, 2011 17:15 |  #23

Used Canon papers and gave them up. Used Ilford papers and gave them up. I now print on Red River papers (Arctic Polar Luster, Glossy and Metalic) for non-art work (family photos, etc.). For art work I use Innova Fibabase Glossy and Harmon's Gloss FB AL Warmtone baryta. Red River is inexpensive, Innova and Harmon are expensive.

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

ChasP505
"brain damaged old guy"
5,566 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 23, 2011 17:51 |  #24

Rayk wrote in post #11699933 (external link)
Thats why i said - profiles, also check, check and double check.

Yes, I understood that. I think we're on the same page. But, as an example, Ilford doesn't provide a Gold Fibre Silk profile for the 9000mkII, but does have a profile for the 9500mkII.

Chas P

buggz
THREAD ­ STARTER
786 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jan 23, 2011 18:13 |  #25

I see that Red River is mentioned many times, here, there, everywhere.
I been meaning to try them.

Tony-S wrote in post #11699970 (external link)
Used Canon papers and gave them up. Used Ilford papers and gave them up. I now print on Red River papers (Arctic Polar Luster, Glossy and Metalic) for non-art work (family photos, etc.). For art work I use Innova Fibabase Glossy and Harmon's Gloss FB AL Warmtone baryta. Red River is inexpensive, Innova and Harmon are expensive.

5DMkII, 40D w/ grip, lenses, flashes, more stuff.

Brian ­ Lumb ­ Photography
31 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Jan 28, 2011 11:33 as a reply to  @ buggz's post |  #26

Get the Red River Sample Packs.
They make them for various printers (ink types)

here is one for the DYE Injet Printers (Pro9000)
Dye Inkjet Printer Sample Kit (external link) (21 paper types, (2) 8-1/2x11 for each type)

For Pigment Printers (Pro9500)
Pigment Ink Sample Kit (external link)

They also have a 13x19 sample kit (18 sheets total) $19.99

I ordered (2) packs for the Pro9000.

The Artic Polar Lustre is fantastic. Used on portraits and b/W

The Artic Polar Satin is fantastic. Used on portraits and b/W

The Metalic pearl is amazing. Landscapes pop of the page, a sunrise photo look amazing as well. I didn't really care for the finish when used on people, looks amazing straight on but when viewed from an angle there was just something weird about it. I will have to experiment some more with this paper.

I also printed a Black and White winter scene on the 60lb Polar Matte and it looked fantastic. I only wish I had another sheet of Canon's Fine Art Premium Matte to do a comparison. I can't believe it but I think Canon has discontinued this line as I can't find it anywhere, at least in 13x19 size.

The Canon Museum Etching seemed to suck the image into the page and it appeared washed out. Might be a setting I had wrong but the paper is expensive to "experiment" with.

Canon's Photo Paper Plus Semi-Gloss provides wonderful prints without a high gloss. Landscapes and portraits look wonderful and reproduce better than many of the lab prints that I have had made.

Canon's Fine Art Photo Rag is also another great paper, another I have not printed many on this medium.

Canon's Photo Paper Pro II is better than the original Photo Paper Pro. I would like to try the Photo Paper Platinum but from some things I have read, it is better suited for the Pro 9500 (pigment ink) printer.

I think most of it comes down to personal tastes, while some love the super glossy finish, I prefer a subtle sheen rather than having to much gloss. But then again, it all depends on the subject I am printing.

I will definitely have to order more sample packs from different suppliers (Innova, Harman, Ilford, Hannamuhle (sp?), etc...), to find different media for specfic purposes, and also keep a log of them for reference. :)

5D Mark IV Gripped, Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS II, EF 16-35 f2.8L II, EF 100 f2.8L IS Macro, EF 100-400 f4.5-5.6L II, Sigma 100-300 f/4 APO, 600EXII, 580EXII, Pixma Pro-10, and Pixma Pro-100.

ncjohn
740 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 28, 2011 12:01 |  #27

BlueFalcon wrote in post #11731416 (external link)
Canon's Photo Paper Pro II is better than the original Photo Paper Pro. I would like to try the Photo Paper Platinum but from some things I have read, it is better suited for the Pro 9500 (pigment ink) printer.

I've never read that (luckily:)) and I love the Platinum with the 9000MkII. Well, actually, I haven't used anything else since finding it. I'm not sure but I think there are lots of positive reviews on B&H Photo's site from 9000 users for the Platinum.

Brian ­ Lumb ­ Photography
31 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Jan 28, 2011 14:08 |  #28

ncjohn wrote in post #11731579 (external link)
I've never read that (luckily:)) and I love the Platinum with the 9000MkII. Well, actually, I haven't used anything else since finding it. I'm not sure but I think there are lots of positive reviews on B&H Photo's site from 9000 users for the Platinum.

John,

Thanks for the info. Guess I'll have to go try that paper now as well! hehe, eating my way through all of this paper and ink is expensive, but very fun. :)

btw, I just received comfirmation from Canon that they have indeed discontinued the Fine Art Premium Matte paper and the Digital Variety Packs. :(

5D Mark IV Gripped, Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS II, EF 16-35 f2.8L II, EF 100 f2.8L IS Macro, EF 100-400 f4.5-5.6L II, Sigma 100-300 f/4 APO, 600EXII, 580EXII, Pixma Pro-10, and Pixma Pro-100.

sponsored links

4,484 views & 0 likes for this thread
favorite papers for Canon 9000MkII ?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.