Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 28 Jan 2011 (Friday) 12:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

using good lens on a rebel?

kyballer14
159 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 28, 2011 12:15 |  #1

I need a few threads here and there saying why use "so and so lens on that body... sell that and get a better body"

So is putting a 17-55mm 2.8 and a 77-200 f4 IS no good on a rebel and requires using a better body to get the best out of your pictures?

sponsored links
Pasukun
Goldmember
1,388 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jan 28, 2011 12:18 |  #2

Rebel is a fine piece of equipment, and it gets better when you put a good lens on it.

"the things we touch have no permanence.. as there is nothing we can hold onto in this world.. only by letting it go can we truly possess what is real.."

My Gears

Tony ­ TPN
268 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 28, 2011 12:21 |  #3

I used a rebel t1i + 24-70mm and it did a really good job~

They say milk gives you strength...drink 3 glasses and try to move a wall...You Can't...But take 3 shots of vodka...And the wall moves on its own =D
Blog (external link)
Flickr (external link)

kyballer14
THREAD ­ STARTER
159 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 28, 2011 12:21 |  #4

OOPS typo..i mean 70-200mm f4 IS not 77....

but anyways, yeah i thought i'd be okay with the rebel but i just looked over a few threads and questioned myself...

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,156 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 28, 2011 12:22 |  #5

First, for the most part rebels are good bodies and will peform well with any lens you put on them. Although there are a lot of rebel models to consider. There are times though when one lens/body makes less sense than another and that may be what you are noticing. For instance, I love my 24-105L on my full frame camera. But on a rebel it would make less sense because it would no longer be a wide angle zoom because of the field of view change using a rebel. The same is true of certain other lenses that are meant for a purpose on the full frame cameras but dont achieve that same purpose on a crop camera like the rebel. You will be fine with the lenses you mention on a rebel. The only other thing you may hear is if your rebel is one of the older ones 300D or xt for instance that people would suggest upgrading the body before spending an extra thousand or more on lenses.

kyballer14
THREAD ­ STARTER
159 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 28, 2011 12:22 |  #6

Tony TPN wrote in post #11731715 (external link)
I used a rebel t1i + 24-70mm and it did a really good job~

between the t1i and the rebel xs... its not too much of a big difference correct? I went to their site and compared them, it looked pretty much the same.

jaxn
84 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 28, 2011 12:23 |  #7

Yeah. I've been incredibly pleased with my Rebel T2i.

I wouldn't worry too much about the body. It makes a difference, but you'll be better served obsessing about lenses like me. :)

5Diii | 7D | EF 16-35L ii | EF 24-70L ii | EF 70-200L ii | EF 100L | TS-E 24L ii | EF 85L ii | 600EX-RT x2
flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

CountryBoy
"Tired of Goldmember label"
5,168 posts
Joined May 2006

Jan 28, 2011 12:24 |  #8

I have a Xt and a 30D , and I doubt you could tell which images came from which.

Hi

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 28, 2011 12:24 |  #9

There is very little difference between the sensors used in Rebels and the higher end APS-C models like the 7D, 50D, etc. The difference is in the AF accuracy, speed and responsiveness of the camera. So if you are comparing purely IQ differences, a 70-200L will be just as good on a 7D or a t2i. The lens may have more accurate and reliable AF on a 7D, or may lock on faster - which definitely improves IQ in many cases.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,156 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 28, 2011 12:24 |  #10

kyballer14 wrote in post #11731729 (external link)
between the t1i and the rebel xs... its not too much of a big difference correct? I went to their site and compared them, it looked pretty much the same.

Yeah there are some big differences. The XS is essentially a dumbed down xti, tiny buffer and 7 point focusing system. Get the t1i if you are debating.

themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 28, 2011 12:24 |  #11

Yes, put as good of a lens on your Rebel as you want.

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

Virto
Goldmember
1,647 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 28, 2011 12:25 |  #12

Anyone that downplays the abilities of any Rebel camera has a superiority complex. Yes, many of the features of the larger semi-pro cameras are missing in some of the Rebels, mainly high fps, but the sensors and image quality are essentially identical.

You will always get better results from higher quality glass than you will by jumping from say, a Rebel XT to a 40D. Invest in lenses, buy bodies only when they have a specific feature you prefer (like the 7D's nice fast focusing).

Kelly - EOS 5D - EOS 40D - Rebel XS - EOS 10D - EOS 1D - SX230 - AE-1 - OM-1n - Minolta Himatic7 - EOS-1N
ABR800 - Several flashes, remote triggers, stands, too many and yet not enough lenses

kyballer14
THREAD ­ STARTER
159 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 28, 2011 12:26 |  #13

gonzogolf wrote in post #11731725 (external link)
First, for the most part rebels are good bodies and will peform well with any lens you put on them. Although there are a lot of rebel models to consider. There are times though when one lens/body makes less sense than another and that may be what you are noticing. For instance, I love my 24-105L on my full frame camera. But on a rebel it would make less sense because it would no longer be a wide angle zoom because of the field of view change using a rebel. The same is true of certain other lenses that are meant for a purpose on the full frame cameras but dont achieve that same purpose on a crop camera like the rebel. You will be fine with the lenses you mention on a rebel. The only other thing you may hear is if your rebel is one of the older ones 300D or xt for instance that people would suggest upgrading the body before spending an extra thousand or more on lenses.

I've been shooting casually for a year and a half and really getting into photography at the next level, so please bear with me with the NOOB questions. I noticed that when people talked about FF and Cropped Frame (1.6x). How would you know a certain lens is better for FF and a certain lens is good for Cropped? I understand the meaning of it, to get the true 24mm you use a FF and with that same lens it will be 36mm. Just can't tell that 24-105L is better on a FF compared to a Cropped

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 28, 2011 12:27 |  #14

gonzogolf wrote in post #11731748 (external link)
Yeah there are some big differences. The XS is essentially a dumbed down xti, tiny buffer and 7 point focusing system. Get the t1i if you are debating.

I think of it as an upgrade to the XT. I think the XT split into the XS and XTi and the XSi, T1i and T2i are upgrades of the XTi.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

Luxury
635 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Jan 28, 2011 12:30 |  #15

It doesn't really matter what body you're using. The rebel series take great pictures, some of my best are from my XSi.

Granted, you'll see a much bigger difference if you're using a 50mm 1.2L on a 5D Mk II than compared to on a XTi. But that's a case of full frame vs crop.

Generally, it's a great idea to upgrade glass first. Unless it really is the body that isn't doing what you want.

If you're trying to get a fast burst rate and solid autofocus, maybe the 7D is what you're looking for.

If you're trying to get crazy shallow depth of field and high resolution, maybe the 5D is what you're looking for.

For anything else (maybe you don't necessarily need any of those things but want them just a little bit), the rebels will do great. I've shot plenty of snowsports on my rebel, as well as portraits and landscapes. The rebels are a great camera and with some great glass in front, they'll perform marvelously.

Liam - A7r, Fuji x100, 450d and some other stuff. --- Flickr  (external link)--- http://liamgee.com (external link)

sponsored links

1,935 views & 0 likes for this thread
using good lens on a rebel?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.