Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
Thread started 29 Jan 2011 (Saturday) 12:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

S95 focusing tips

dharrisphotog
Goldmember
2,331 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 29, 2011 12:02 |  #1

When framing a shot, say a person on the left (thirds shot), how to I ensure that person is in focus. I'm trying to do street photography and want to make sure the subjects are in focus as I shoot, without chimping every 2 seconds.

D800 | Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art | Nikkor 85mm 1.8G | Nikkor 70-200 2.8G
Gear | Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Google+ (external link)

sponsored links
tgara
Goldmember
2,336 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 29, 2011 12:31 |  #2

Well, you can either use face detect mode (assuming the person is facing you) and select a face to focus on, or frame the shot so that the focus box is on the person, focus, then recompose the shot. The S95 does not have Flexizone, which would permit you to move the focus point to nearly any place in the frame. My G9 had this feature, and I used it all the time.

EOS 5D Mark III
EOS Rebel SL1
Full Gear List

Glyno
157 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jan 29, 2011 13:21 |  #3

tgara wrote in post #11737582 (external link)
The S95 does not have Flexizone, which would permit you to move the focus point to nearly any place in the frame. My G9 had this feature, and I used it all the time.

I used it all the time on my G10 too. The one feature I really miss on the S95.

my flickr (external link)

Tammy ­ T
208 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jan 29, 2011 18:06 |  #4

Razeus wrote in post #11737454 (external link)
When framing a shot, say a person on the left (thirds shot), how to I ensure that person is in focus. I'm trying to do street photography and want to make sure the subjects are in focus as I shoot, without chimping every 2 seconds.

Position the camera so that the centre rectangle is on the person's face. Half press the shutter button to focus. After hearing the confirmation sound and seeing the rectangle turn green (focus achieved), move the camera to your right so that the person is now ligned up with the (imaginary) one-third vertical line on your left (or in any direction as you wish). Press the shutter button fully to take the photo.

I apologize if you already knew this and meant to ask about something else. When I started out I did not know what it meant by "focus and recompose", and I thought you might have the same question.

hnikesch
Goldmember
1,133 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 29, 2011 18:20 |  #5

+1 to Tammy T's comment

Hans
It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. Canon S100 w/CHDK, SD990 w/CHDK, SD900 w/CHDK, Pentax K30, & Kr, Pentax Q7 Flickr: (external link)

mikej708
287 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 01, 2011 22:54 |  #6

Yea use face detect or even if you have a rough idea of how far the people will be in front of you or where ever they will be stick it in manual focus and pick a distance and just leave it there.

Body Canon 20d
Glass Tamron 28-80 AF Canon 50mm 1.8 ii
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/mikej708/ (external link)

dharrisphotog
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,331 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Feb 02, 2011 08:57 |  #7

So the old focus and recompose method. I'll experiment with it. I'm so used to selecting my focus points on my DSLR.

D800 | Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art | Nikkor 85mm 1.8G | Nikkor 70-200 2.8G
Gear | Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Google+ (external link)

elogical
Goldmember
1,217 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Feb 03, 2011 07:03 |  #8

Razeus wrote in post #11762198 (external link)
So the old focus and recompose method. I'll experiment with it. I'm so used to selecting my focus points on my DSLR.

I'm certainly familiar with the limitations of focus, recompose, but I've actually found it to work pretty well on the compact with smaller sensor and greater DOF. Especially if you drop the aperture down a couple stops.
I'm sure there are better techniques, but it's all about what you can do quick and consistently enough not to miss the shot sometimes.

Gear

sponsored links

4,678 views & 0 likes for this thread
S95 focusing tips
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.