Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 01 Feb 2011 (Tuesday) 07:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

B&S boards gone to the dogs

Justin_Thyme
984 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Feb 01, 2011 07:17 |  #1

Is it just me or have all the B&S boards across multiple forums gone to the dogs?

Seems I see more and more shady postings going on, over priced items, people who blow in, list and sell and item then blow back out without having the courtesy to close the thread when they are done and removing the asking price although the rules prohibit such. Seems like the pricing is getting so bad that any minute savings are just not worth the hassle and not having a warranty as when bought for 5% more from a reputable retailer. Some forums explicity state no commercial sales allowed but when you go and search a members posts you see repeated sales of the same item with a lot of them being C&P posts.

Its not just here but at many other forums as well. There are only a few I know of that are still respectable with just fellow photogs swapping around gear and Im not about to post who those are so they can get corrupted too. Well I can post one as its strictly a members only forum that not just anyone can join and thats sportshooter.

I quit using fleabay for pretty much the same reason (among others) When that started it was just regular folks trying to sell off things they no longer needed and has turned into a nightmare. If you go there and search for a particular item you have to weed through 1000 listings by fleatailers to maybe get lucky and find one thats by a regular joe just trying to sell his stuff for a reasonable price.

>>>>>>>end rant<<<<<<<

sponsored links
bigcountry
Goldmember
4,485 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 01, 2011 07:38 |  #2

i've experienced something else from selling a few items....it seems that a potential buyer has some sort of sense of entitlement, like they deserve to buy used goods for practically noting.

If i list something that i am no longer using, or in some cases not even used, then i can always expect to get emails saying "Hi, i am a college student would you take $150 less?" or "Hi, my dog just died, would you take $200 less..." and it is really annoying.

Then you have those who have no intention in buying but want to see photos, get detailed description of the items every minute of life from purchase til now.

Then you have buyers who are so bent on date codes, when in reality date codes really don't mean squat. I have UX 24L ii that is in worse shape than a UT 24-70mm.

So it goes both ways, there are some crappy sellers, but there are also some really crappy buyers.

Louisville Kentucky Wedding Photographer (external link)
Travel the World and Photograph (external link)
Find me on Facebook (external link)

10megapixel
"I'm a little slow"
3,872 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Feb 01, 2011 07:46 as a reply to  @ bigcountry's post |  #3

I have noticed the overpriced items lately, some of the asking prices are just laughable, but we have the right to ask whatever we want i suppose.

The non-locking of the threads and deleting of selling price is ongoing and never-ending, it drives me nuts :mad:

Just remember to buy from me and you'll be fine ;)

Gear List & Feedback

barkingspud
511 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Feb 01, 2011 08:09 |  #4

Overpriced items, adding a x% for seller fees..It's all BS. Price it reasonably and include any seller fees regardless of the payment method with perhaps one exception, cash in-person. I've been buying and selling on the net for close to 20 years and have seen a lot of crazy stuff. The two I mention here are my biggest pet peeves.

bentlax33
430 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Feb 01, 2011 08:30 |  #5

I've been buying alot on the forums lately...

#1 thing is everyone is usually very nice, and professional in dealings.

Sometimes I offer a bit lower, like a Tamron 28-70 that was local to me....I offered the guy $25 less to meet locally, it was still $325. Which I think is a fair price to both me and him but saved us wasting money on shipping.

Also, I'm trying to build my lighting kit, so I mostly target cheaper, what look like deals to me. I don't buy the newer stuff that people actually want. If it's been out a few days with no interest and its an older item i'm targeting I'll usually offer a bit lower if thats what i think its worth. I use EBAY to price most of my buying and selling....ignoring the outliers and more seeing what the range and quality of the items go for.

I think the B&S forums are still pretty good...I've stuck up more conversations and met a few people from the B&S forum. I like meeting people in person if they are local. I still consider myself a young...inexperienced photog, and I really like talking to more experienced photogs, even for just a few minutes. The tamron guy i talked to for about a 1/2 hour in a coffee shop.

I will admit though....I usually don't make up an excuse for offering a lower price...I think I have used the college student line once or twice...but hey...sometimes I really want an item....and my budget is just a bit lower than what they want....If it was a week later I might have the money...I don't waste money on beer, etc....

I could not have afforded half of what I now have if it wasn't for this B&S forum. It's easier to deal with and more personal than EBAY. WAY BETTER than all the crap on CL, I can't even try to sell something on craigs list without haveing 5 people with kids in college in other countries and 3 troops overseas trying to get me to mail the item to them for free(so basically 8 guys in nigeria scaming me). Buying new isn't usually an option for me.

BrandonSi
Nevermind.. I'm silly.
5,306 posts
Gallery: 62 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Feb 01, 2011 08:34 |  #6

I've noticed an increase in complaining over the years I've been here.. :)

[ www (external link)· flickr (external link)]

mpix345
Goldmember
2,870 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 01, 2011 08:44 as a reply to  @ BrandonSi's post |  #7

Sellers wanting more money and buyers wanting to pay less is the way of the world. Notice threads where people enthusiastically show how you can save 2% on a camera by jumping through four hoops backwards wearing a pink dress and holding a flaming poodle. These same folks often have $10k + in gear, so you know the couple of dollars saved isn't an issue; it's the rush of the deal.

As for the B&S boards, my only real aggravation is how everything is lumped together. Sounds like something is in the works to help with that, but timeline is unknown. It'd be nice to have some categorization of cameras, lenses, and accessories I think.

JimLittle
Goldmember
3,279 posts
Gallery: 99 photos
Joined Apr 2005

Feb 01, 2011 08:45 |  #8

BrandonSi wrote in post #11755253 (external link)
I've noticed an increase in complaining over the years I've been here.. :)

+1!! :)

VinnieJ
642 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Feb 01, 2011 08:56 |  #9

barkingspud wrote in post #11755138 (external link)
Overpriced items, adding a x% for seller fees..It's all BS. Price it reasonably and include any seller fees regardless of the payment method with perhaps one exception, cash in-person. I've been buying and selling on the net for close to 20 years and have seen a lot of crazy stuff. The two I mention here are my biggest pet peeves.

I hate that to and given the fact that this goes against the terms of service with Paypal it should not be allowed. Even asking for Paypal Gift (which I'm guilty of myself) should not be allowed.

barkingspud
511 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Feb 01, 2011 09:08 |  #10

VinnieJ wrote in post #11755379 (external link)
I hate that to and given the fact that this goes against the terms of service with Paypal it should not be allowed. Even asking for Paypal Gift (which I'm guilty of myself) should not be allowed.

Agreed. I don't deal with people like that. When I sell an item, I take seller fees into account and include it in the price. Why should I (the buyer) be responsible for paying for seller fees? It's not my problem. Anyway, that's just me, I'm sure there are plenty of people who would disagree and/or just deal with the additional fees.

seyak
153 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Feb 01, 2011 09:52 |  #11

I hear you all. Paypal gift does no body any good except may be save the sellers a few dollars. I still don't understand why everything is not rolled into the sale price except for may be shipping fees that can vary by the weight and distance. This is not a place to run business we are here to just get rid of unwanted stuff.

End of rant.

5D MII | 24-105 f/4.0L | 17-40 f/4.0L | 70-200 f/4.0L | 50 f/1.4 | 100 f/2.8 Macro | 580 EX II

HiramRanger
275 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 01, 2011 10:16 |  #12

Justin_Thyme wrote in post #11754911 (external link)
Is it just me or have all the B&S boards across multiple forums gone to the dogs?

Seems I see more and more shady postings going on, over priced items, people who blow in, list and sell and item then blow back out without having the courtesy to close the thread when they are done and removing the asking price although the rules prohibit such. Seems like the pricing is getting so bad that any minute savings are just not worth the hassle and not having a warranty as when bought for 5% more from a reputable retailer. Some forums explicity state no commercial sales allowed but when you go and search a members posts you see repeated sales of the same item with a lot of them being C&P posts.

Its not just here but at many other forums as well. There are only a few I know of that are still respectable with just fellow photogs swapping around gear and Im not about to post who those are so they can get corrupted too. Well I can post one as its strictly a members only forum that not just anyone can join and thats sportshooter.

I quit using fleabay for pretty much the same reason (among others) When that started it was just regular folks trying to sell off things they no longer needed and has turned into a nightmare. If you go there and search for a particular item you have to weed through 1000 listings by fleatailers to maybe get lucky and find one thats by a regular joe just trying to sell his stuff for a reasonable price.

>>>>>>>end rant<<<<<<<

Yeah eBay is just awful... Got my like new 40D in box with a high speed 8GB CF card, spare battery and a $30 guide to the 40D for $460 shipped priority mail.

Got my 50D for $700 with Canon factory grip, three batteries, Tamrac holster case that fits my gripped 40D with Tamron 70-300 VC lens, high speed 8GB CF card and two huge lowepro lens sleeves that will accommodate Canon 70-200 lenses with ease.

:D

Canon 50D, 40D, T2i. Canon 24-105L and Nifty Fifty f/1.8 MKi, Tamron 10-24, 28-75, 18-250 and 70-300VC. Panasonic GF1 with 14-42 OIS. Sony DSC-T700 P&S. JVC Everio 3CCD Full HD 1920x1080 hard drive camcorder.
I am the HiramRanger, there are no more like me... count yourselves lucky!

sigma ­ pi
Cream of the Crop
11,204 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 01, 2011 10:34 |  #13

Justin_Thyme wrote in post #11754911 (external link)
Well I can post one as its strictly a members only forum that not just anyone can join and thats sportshooter.

http://www.marieclaire​.com …mages/MembersOn​lyFull.jpg (external link)

Like that ???

Don't try to confuse me with the facts, my mind is already made up.
http://www.flickr.com …6850267535/in/p​hotostream (external link)

anothernewb
361 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 01, 2011 10:54 |  #14

I treat ebay CL, and really any buy & sell area pretty much the same. caveat emptor exists in these places as much as in the rest of life. If the deal looks too good to be true, than it usually is. Likewise, if the deal looks to be a nail biter- than it usually is too.

However, I do understand the comments, and also feel the same. it's frustrating to get inane questions or crazy lowball offers when you're selling. It also bites to be the buyer when the seller is noncommittal or non communicative. But then again, I've watched things sit for sale in places for a long time and lowballed items that have been for sale for long periods myself to gauge the seller's interest/necessity for the sale. Most of it again comes down to taste and common sense. If you are interested in an item - then ask your questions. if you're window shopping. then stay outside the window. Likewise if you're the seller, keep it real. if you want to move it now - price it accordingly.

I'd be willing to bet that if you ask anyone in sales the reality of that job is very similar to what we experience online. Some window shoppers, some scammers, some uncommitted sellers, (and buyers) but majority is legit stuff and people. it's just that the normal transactions happen without comment and without drawing much attention to themselves. Again, like much in life, it's the marginal 10% which draws so much negative attention. causing a chain reaction that creates an artificial inflation of the perception that things are worse than they really are.

Gripped 80D,10-18 STM, 55-250 IS STM, 15-85 IS USM, 85 1.8, 10-400 II, 430 EX II

Justin_Thyme
THREAD ­ STARTER
984 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Feb 01, 2011 10:58 |  #15

bigcountry wrote in post #11755001 (external link)
i've experienced something else from selling a few items....it seems that a potential buyer has some sort of sense of entitlement, like they deserve to buy used goods for practically noting.

If i list something that i am no longer using, or in some cases not even used, then i can always expect to get emails saying "Hi, i am a college student would you take $150 less?" or "Hi, my dog just died, would you take $200 less..." and it is really annoying.

Then you have those who have no intention in buying but want to see photos, get detailed description of the items every minute of life from purchase til now.

Then you have buyers who are so bent on date codes, when in reality date codes really don't mean squat. I have UX 24L ii that is in worse shape than a UT 24-70mm.

So it goes both ways, there are some crappy sellers, but there are also some really crappy buyers.

I have had the same from buyers. Just recently I had one where I was selling a MKIII and the member PMd me probably 50 times asking the same questions over and over with the answers not only in the FS post but in the trail he was replying to. I was cordial to start then finally quite replying. Im with you on the date code and serial number thing too. If its the same item ie same version etc date code doesnt mean a hill of beans. As you stated I have seen gear less than a year old that was in far worse shape than the same item 5-10 years old. Same with the MKIIIs, not dot then yellow dot then blue dot then no dot again. I had went through several of them and the best one was also the oldest one. There are plenty of the "Im a poor college kid" members who tell you they cant afford it then the next thing you know you see them posting buying a huge lot then posting half of it up for sale overpirced then give the same story when trying to offer them something a bit more reasonable.

sponsored links

9,581 views & 0 likes for this thread
B&S boards gone to the dogs
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.