Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 31 Jan 2011 (Monday) 10:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon Rebel XS?

porky101
THREAD ­ STARTER
609 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 31, 2011 16:10 |  #16

ok cool , thanks guys

I havent even got my camera yet and I already want new lenses! LOL....

as a first upgrade to the standard lens , what would you reccomend? im DYING to take Panoramas of my city skyline I got an amazing view!

sponsored links
tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,586 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 31, 2011 16:11 |  #17

porky101 wrote in post #11750766 (external link)
ok cool , thanks guys

as a first upgrade to the standard lens , what would you reccomend? im DYING to take Panoramas of my city skyline I got an amazing view!

The standard 18-55 lens that comes with just about any camera you'd buy should do nicely. 18mm is pretty wide and if you want to do a stitched shot you can go as wide as you want, even 360.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
EOS Rp | iPhone 11 Pro Max

r31ncarnat3d
633 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jan 31, 2011 16:50 |  #18

ok cool , thanks guys

The 18-55mm kit lens is more than good enough for that. Set it at a wide angle, put it on a tripod, do a small aperture + long exposure and you're good.

A lens I would recommend though is the 50mm f/1.8. Cheap, great images, and the depth of field from a large aperture is absolutely lovely.

Canon 80D | Canon SL2 | Sigma 30mm f/1.4 ART | Canon 24mm f/2.8 STM
Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 | Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 VC

Zebodog
72 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 31, 2011 17:24 |  #19

ok cool , thanks guys

What lens do you have with the XS? The 18-55 is the standard kit lens although there are 2 versions; one with IS and one without. If you have the IS version, you have a decent lens; hang onto it and grab a flash gun first. A good flash gun and the knowledge to use it will improve indoor/low light pictures drastically.

If you have the non-IS version of the 18-55, I suggest you use this as a door stop and look towards the Tamron 17-50 or, if you're on a budget, the Canon 18-55 IS.

r31ncarnat3d
633 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jan 31, 2011 18:38 |  #20

Zebodog wrote in post #11751267 (external link)
What lens do you have with the XS? The 18-55 is the standard kit lens although there are 2 versions; one with IS and one without. If you have the IS version, you have a decent lens; hang onto it and grab a flash gun first. A good flash gun and the knowledge to use it will improve indoor/low light pictures drastically.

If you have the non-IS version of the 18-55, I suggest you use this as a door stop and look towards the Tamron 17-50 or, if you're on a budget, the Canon 18-55 IS.

Since he mentioned the camera being "unopened" from its box and musing on the possibility of returning it, I'd imagine it's new, in which case it'd have to be the IS version.

Zebodog
72 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 31, 2011 19:08 |  #21

r31ncarnat3d wrote in post #11751721 (external link)
Since he mentioned the camera being "unopened" from its box and musing on the possibility of returning it, I'd imagine it's new, in which case it'd have to be the IS version.

Not necessarily. The XS with 18-55 "DC" is still advertised as available in some locations.

anothernewb
361 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 01, 2011 11:23 |  #22

your buddy is a Nikon fan. nothing wrong with that. for him the nikons might make more sense. The bottom line is to use the XS. if your like it - then keep it. if you don't then make the switch. either is a totally capable camera, equally as forgiving for a newbie, and equally as marketable.

My friend is also a die hard Nikon user. He let me borrow his D200 when I got interested in a DSLR. it's a nice cam, but I liked the canon gear that I played with better. I still prefer my XSi to his D300. Side by side, all factors being equal, with good glass, and in normal shooting conditions, the images are hard to tell apart. However I like the way the canon system "thinks" better than the Nikon. I seem to be better able to predict the outcome of the image, but that could be due to user experience too.

Are there features that his camera has that I like - certainly. but it's down to personal preference.

Gripped 80D,10-18 STM, 55-250 IS STM, 15-85 IS USM, 85 1.8, 10-400 II, 430 EX II

r31ncarnat3d
633 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 01, 2011 11:35 |  #23

anothernewb wrote in post #11756234 (external link)
your buddy is a Nikon fan. nothing wrong with that. for him the nikons might make more sense. The bottom line is to use the XS. if your like it - then keep it. if you don't then make the switch. either is a totally capable camera, equally as forgiving for a newbie, and equally as marketable.

My friend is also a die hard Nikon user. He let me borrow his D200 when I got interested in a DSLR. it's a nice cam, but I liked the canon gear that I played with better. I still prefer my XSi to his D300. Side by side, all factors being equal, with good glass, and in normal shooting conditions, the images are hard to tell apart. However I like the way the canon system "thinks" better than the Nikon. I seem to be better able to predict the outcome of the image, but that could be due to user experience too.

Are there features that his camera has that I like - certainly. but it's down to personal preference.

I never warmed up to die hard fanboys for any brand. I choose Canon because I like their products and they suit me well, not because it's a Canon product. Fanboys who are completely and blindly loyal to a company are just people I actively try to avoid ever shooting with. The discussion usually steers away from the photography to the gear itself.

And as for Canon "thinking" better, I think that's more user experience than anything. After a year of shooting, I'm better able to judge how accurate my EV meter is (+0 is not the same for bright, sunlit day photography as it is for indoors, nighttime photography) and am able to adjust accordingly. I still find many instances where the camera itself is not entirely accurate and I find myself automatically compensating for the camera's shortcomings.

deloreangirl
110 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 01, 2011 16:38 |  #24

r31ncarnat3d wrote in post #11751045 (external link)
The 18-55mm kit lens is more than good enough for that. Set it at a wide angle, put it on a tripod, do a small aperture + long exposure and you're good.

A lens I would recommend though is the 50mm f/1.8. Cheap, great images, and the depth of field from a large aperture is absolutely lovely.

This! :cool:

;) Emily
Rebel T2i | EFS 18-55mm | EF 50mm 1.8 II | EF-S 55-250mm | EF 35mm 2.0

canon4652009
62 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 01, 2011 16:40 |  #25

porky101 wrote in post #11748825 (external link)
Hi Guys ,

I just purchased a Canon Rebel XS and then a friend told me im stupid and should have got the Nikon D3100.

My Canon is in the post on its way to me so its sealed and brand new , should I sell it and get the Nikon rather? or no?

This will be my first SLR camera....so I would like your oppinions!

I have one too, it is my first D-SLR after years of compacts and 35mm SLRs before them
I'm very happy with it

:cool:

btw Nikons are for people with "little person" syndrome :lol:

CanonFan44
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 07, 2011 21:48 |  #26

I'll put in my two cents worth on this subject. I used to own a Canon AE with a 50 mm. lens. Stunning shots I got with it. Two were published, one was an award winner. Having said that, I still have the AE, and I plan to save up to get a Rebel XS because it's all I can afford right now. But I'll eventually get a better lens for it. Everywhere I look I see fabulous Canon images. I tried to imagine myself with a Nikon, but I had to ask if I were doing it for the snob factor, or because it's a "better camera." See, I really still think the Canon takes better pictures.

Anyway, whatever you do, if you keep the Canon, enjoy it, and then save up for a faster lens. No regrets. : )

BuckyN8
352 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Feb 08, 2011 08:40 |  #27

I first started off with an XS and one of the main features that I wish I had went with was video. Hence the reason as to why I upgraded to the T2i. If you think you will use video, then I would return the XS. If you don't think you will then you should have no problem enjoying your XS.

sponsored links

2,955 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon Rebel XS?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.