Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 30 Jan 2011 (Sunday) 14:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

T2I ISO Noise

Mikey ­ Proximo
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 30, 2011 14:31 |  #1

Hi all,

I own a Rebel T2i which I purchased less then a month ago. Whenever I increase the ISO
in the video mode to 3200 or 6400. A blue dot appears in the upper right hand corner of
the image. It is not the display screen because the blue dot also appears in the raw video files when I upload them.

Is this a normal problem that I can fix on my own or should I take my camera to my local
cannon center for repairs?

Look forward to your feedback.

Mike

sponsored links
Mikey ­ Proximo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 30, 2011 14:39 |  #2

Just to note. I have done 2 low light test and each time the blue dot has appeared exactly in the same spot.

anothernewb
361 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 01, 2011 11:29 |  #3

sounds like it might be a hot/stuck pixel. some people have had luck with putting the camera into a manual cleaning mode with the body cap on and leaving it run for a few minutes, then removing the battery for a time and doing a complete reset.

do a search for methods to clear hot/stuck pixels. One of the methods might work for you.

Gripped 80D,10-18 STM, 55-250 IS STM, 15-85 IS USM, 85 1.8, 10-400 II, 430 EX II

Mikey ­ Proximo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 15, 2011 02:08 as a reply to  @ anothernewb's post |  #4

Thank you I will take a look. I sent my t2i in for repairs. Best Buy replaced it with a brand new t2i today. (02/14/11) After shooting with it out of the box for less then 10 minutes I noticed another hot pixel. Could it have been that I already burnt a hole in the sensor? I had the 18-55 is lens open to about f4.0 shutter 1/30 ISO 6400. I didn't put the camera directly at the street light but immediately after putting it on these settings the Hot Pixel appeared again. I did another several test with the lens cap on with iso settings at 1600 and above. The hot pixel appeared each time. Let me remind you that this a brand new t2i I have had less then a day. Any ideas what would of cause it this time?

Saint728
Goldmember
2,892 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 15, 2011 02:18 |  #5

One hot pixel is nothing compared to 18 million pixels you have on your sensor. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. BTW, does the hot pixel show up under normal shooting conditions or are you just trying to take a video with no or very little light? I would suggest you take the lens cap off and shoot with some light, you won't see any hot pixels.

Take Care,
Cheers, Patrick

Canon EOS 1Ds Mark III | 17-40mm f/4.0L | 70-200mm f/2.8L USM | 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro | 300mm f/4.0L IS
Click Here To See My Gear
Click here to see my Flickr (external link)
http://www.runryder.co​m/helicopter/gallery/9​019/ (external link)

Mikey ­ Proximo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 15, 2011 02:47 |  #6

It only appears under low-light conditions. Yes it appears in both the video and pictures shot
in low light.

I have done the reset test twice and it has not removed the hot pixel.

I bought the t2i to shoot to in low light to copy the look like the Michael Mann film Collateral. From the videos I have watched on youtube of night footage shot with the t2i in the video mode. I have not seen any hot pixels in their footage. Is the secret just turning up the blacks in post? Any suggestions on how to achieve this exposure? What would be the proper way to achieve that look with out getting any hot pixels?

magwai
Goldmember
1,094 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 15, 2011 02:50 |  #7

I think you did the right thing sending it back. It may be easy to fix but why settle for a camera with a flaw? It would bug me until I had it fixed.

sponsored links

1,181 views & 0 likes for this thread
T2I ISO Noise
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.