Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 01 Feb 2011 (Tuesday) 16:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Help Bridge CS5 + PS CS5 32 bits?

CyberManiaK
669 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 01, 2011 16:02 |  #1

Hi I use Bridge CS5 but when I open the image by default open it on photoshop CS5 64bits, however some of my pluggins dont work on 64bits, So I need to make the 32bits by default. Any clue on how to do that?

I open the preference dialog on bridge, and there only shows me Photoshop CS5 (but no option to choose 64 or 32 bits.)

I can't install only the 32bits version, it always installs both.

Thanks.

Carlos
60D / 10-20 + 100L + 40/2.8

sponsored links
bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 01, 2011 16:09 |  #2

A quick work around is to open CS5 32 bit, then when you use Bridge it will pass it on to that version and not launch the 64 bit version of CS5.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

CyberManiaK
THREAD ­ STARTER
669 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 01, 2011 16:13 |  #3

bohdank wrote in post #11758060 (external link)
A quick work around is to open CS5 32 bit, then when you use Bridge it will pass it on to that version and not launch the 64 bit version of CS5.

Damn I feel like an idiot lol I didnt try that before, That will solve it !!

thank you.

Carlos

PixelMagic
Cream of the Crop
5,546 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 01, 2011 17:20 |  #4

The solution is a simple Windows Registry fix. I discovered this solution about 2 years ago while researching how to make Lightroom open 32-bit Photoshop by default. I found an unrelated article in Adobe's Knowledge Base that gave the location of Photoshop's registry keys and I modified it to work. Here's the Adobe KB article: http://kb2.adobe.com/c​ps/401/kb401629.html (external link)

If you are uncomfortable editing your Windows Registry do not attempt this fix. I will not be responsible if you screw up your computer in any way. As a precaution its advisable to back up your Windows Registry before attempting to edit it.

1. Go to Start and in the Search box type either regedit or regedt32 to open the Registry Editor

2. Navigate to the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOF​TWARE\Microsoft\Window​s\CurrentVersion\App Paths\Photoshop.exe

3. The keys in the right pane of the Registry Editor should read something similar to the following:
Default C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4\Photoshop.exe
Path C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4\

4. Right-click each key, select "Modify" and change them to the following:
Default C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4\Photoshop.exe
Path C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4

5. Click File > Exit to save and exit the Registry Editor.

These instructions assume you have a standard installation of Photoshop. If you installed it in another location you'd have to modify the paths to suit.

This fix also works with Lightroom. If you have Lightroom 64-bit version installed you'd notice that when you use the "Edit in Photoshop" option it opens Photoshop 64-bit by default when in most cases you want the 32-bit version since that's where most currently available plug-ins are installed. So this fix will force both Adobe Bridge and Lightroom to open the 32-bit version of Photoshop by default.

CyberManiaK wrote in post #11758022 (external link)
Hi I use Bridge CS5 but when I open the image by default open it on photoshop CS5 64bits, however some of my pluggins dont work on 64bits, So I need to make the 32bits by default. Any clue on how to do that?

I open the preference dialog on bridge, and there only shows me Photoshop CS5 (but no option to choose 64 or 32 bits.)

I can't install only the 32bits version, it always installs both.

Thanks.

Gear List

CyberManiaK
THREAD ­ STARTER
669 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 01, 2011 17:48 |  #5

Pixel. Thank you, but that doesnt work here, there must be something else, because if I replace the photoshop.exe (32bits) on the 64bits intall, when I click open on bridge, none photoshop is launched. But if i click on the photoshop.exe 64bits icon (on the desktop), it launch the 32 bit photoshop.

Weird...

BTW" i'm using windows 7 64bits Ultimate.

Carlos

PixelMagic
Cream of the Crop
5,546 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 01, 2011 18:53 |  #6

I'm using Windows 7 X-64 Ultimate too.

Either I didn't explain properly or you misunderstood. The reference to Adobe Bridge was about the process of opening Raw files through Adobe Camera Raw into 32-bit Photoshop or rendered files like TIFF, JPEG, etc. directly from Bridge's filmstrip (Open with > Adobe Photoshop).

In any event the registry edit that I posted should not allow you to open 32-bit Photoshop by clicking on the 64-bit Photoshop desktop icon. All it does is change the default editing application that is opened from within Bridge/ACR or Lightroom from the 64-bit version of Photoshop to the 32-bit version.

CyberManiaK wrote in post #11758707 (external link)
Pixel. Thank you, but that doesnt work here, there must be something else, because if I replace the photoshop.exe (32bits) on the 64bits intall, when I click open on bridge, none photoshop is launched. But if i click on the photoshop.exe 64bits icon (on the desktop), it launch the 32 bit photoshop.

Weird...

BTW" i'm using windows 7 64bits Ultimate.

Gear List

CyberManiaK
THREAD ­ STARTER
669 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 01, 2011 19:04 |  #7

PixelMagic wrote in post #11759095 (external link)
I'm using Windows 7 X-64 Ultimate too.

Either I didn't explain properly or you misunderstood. The reference to Adobe Bridge was about the process of opening Raw files through Adobe Camera Raw into 32-bit Photoshop or rendered files like TIFF, JPEG, etc. directly from Bridge's filmstrip (Open with > Adobe Photoshop).

In any event the registry edit that I posted should not allow you to open 32-bit Photoshop by clicking on the 64-bit Photoshop desktop icon. All it does is change the default editing application that is opened from within Bridge/ACR or Lightroom from the 64-bit version of Photoshop to the 32-bit version.

Well yes, if I right click and choose open with... there is photoshop CS5 (default) and it launches 32bit version, i was talking when under bridge you open the raw directly on camera raw, then just hit "open"

But anyways now is working thank you both :)

Carlos

PixelMagic
Cream of the Crop
5,546 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 01, 2011 19:06 |  #8

If you follow the instructions I posted, when you hit the Open button in Adobe Camera Raw, the 32-bit version of Photoshop will run.

Glad you got it working.

Gear List

CyberManiaK
THREAD ­ STARTER
669 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 01, 2011 19:11 |  #9

PixelMagic wrote in post #11759176 (external link)
If you follow the instructions I posted, when you hit the Open button in Adobe Camera Raw, the 32-bit version of Photoshop will run.

Glad you got it working.

Yeah I edited the registry but it keeps open it on the 64bits. After that is when I thought about replacing the exe 32bit on the 64bit install. (ofcourse making backup of the original first) And that didn't work also.

I know that changing the registry as you suggest, had to take the effect desired, but on my system it's doesnt do anything lol. Also i keep searching for some other strings, and found some more, but on this strings i didnt replace the path.

Cheers.

Carlos

sponsored links

3,364 views & 0 likes for this thread
Help Bridge CS5 + PS CS5 32 bits?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.