Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 02 Feb 2011 (Wednesday) 00:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

why is this sky charcoal black?

Createsean
994 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Feb 02, 2011 00:05 |  #1

The sky was a real deep rich blue, but for some reason all my shots today came out with a black sky and I can't figure out why.

IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5015/5409302733_e442e98f57_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/createsean/5409​302733/  (external link)
IMG_5990.jpg (external link) by Create Sean (external link), on Flickr

I'm looking for harsh criticism of my photos - tell me how to improve, I will be grateful.
My Gear | My web development business Caffeine Creations (external link) | flickr (external link) |My Photo Blog (external link)

sponsored links
topgun20022
24 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 02, 2011 00:07 |  #2

Createsean wrote in post #11760727 (external link)
The sky was a real deep rich blue, but for some reason all my shots today came out with a black sky and I can't figure out why.

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/createsean/5409​302733/  (external link)
IMG_5990.jpg (external link) by Create Sean (external link), on Flickr

Can't access exif info from office so can you post it here? :)

Createsean
THREAD ­ STARTER
994 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Feb 02, 2011 00:14 |  #3

exif, copied from flickr

Camera Canon EOS Kiss X4
Exposure 1/4000 sec
Aperture f/2.8
Focal Length 50 mm
ISO Speed 100
Exposure Bias 0 EV
Flash Off, Did not fire
X-Resolution 240 dpi
Y-Resolution 240 dpi
Date and Time (Modified) 2011:02:02 15:02:51
Artist Sean Smith http://repatriate.me (external link)
Copyright all rights reserved
Exposure Program Aperture-priority AE
Date and Time (Original) 2011:02:02 11:32:34.31+09:00
Date and Time (Digitized) 2011:02:02 11:32:34
Max Aperture Value 2.8
Metering Mode Multi-segment
Sub Sec Time Original 31
Sub Sec Time Digitized 31
Focal Plane X-Resolution 5728.176795​58011 dpi
Focal Plane Y-Resolution 5808.403361​34454 dpi
Custom Rendered Normal
Exposure Mode Auto
White Balance Auto
Scene Capture Type Standard
Compression JPEG (old-style)
Keywords nature snow sports/recreation tobogganing
By-line Sean Smith http://repatriate.me (external link)
Copyright Notice all rights reserved
Viewing Conditions Illuminant Type D50
Measurement Observer CIE 1931
Measurement Flare 0.999%
Measurement Illuminant D65
XMPToolkit Adobe XMP Core 4.2-c020 1.124078, Tue Sep 11 2007 23:21:40
Creator Tool Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3.3
Lens 17-50mm
Lens ID 161
Image Number 0
Flash Compensation 0
Legacy IPTCDigest ABA21E418D6​54712267DAAB001C53067
Creator Sean Smith http://repatriate.me (external link)
Rights all rights reserved
Subject nature
Color Transform YCbCr
Flash Return No return detection
Flash Mode Off
Flash Function False
Flash Red Eye Mode False

I'm looking for harsh criticism of my photos - tell me how to improve, I will be grateful.
My Gear | My web development business Caffeine Creations (external link) | flickr (external link) |My Photo Blog (external link)

Tony_Stark
Shellhead
4,287 posts
Joined May 2010

Feb 02, 2011 00:16 |  #4

1. Did you shoot RAW?
2. Auto WB may be the problem.

Nikon D810 | 24-70/2.8G | 58/1.4G
EOS M | 22 f/2 STM

Website (external link) | flickr (external link)

Createsean
THREAD ­ STARTER
994 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Feb 02, 2011 00:18 |  #5

I shot raw and before posting that pic changed the whitebalance to daylight and customized to get the snow whiter.

Tony_Stark
Shellhead
4,287 posts
Joined May 2010

Feb 02, 2011 00:21 |  #6

This is strange :/ My only other suggestion would be to use the adjustment brush in LR and try to bring some color. Other than that Im stumped also, and would love to find out why the image's sky is black.

Nikon D810 | 24-70/2.8G | 58/1.4G
EOS M | 22 f/2 STM

Website (external link) | flickr (external link)

Daship
765 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 02, 2011 00:21 |  #7

The camera exposed for the snow making the sky under exposed.

topgun20022
24 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 02, 2011 00:23 |  #8

Daship wrote in post #11760809 (external link)
The camera exposed for the snow making the sky under exposed.

That would be my guess too.. camera exposed the snow correctly while underexposing the sky...

Createsean
THREAD ­ STARTER
994 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Feb 02, 2011 00:25 |  #9

Yeah that makes sense - damn... how does one get both exposed correctly in a situation like this. clearly I can't do HDR as these are action shots.

topgun20022
24 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 02, 2011 00:37 as a reply to  @ Createsean's post |  #10

would love to get an answer to that... had a harrowing time myself trying to shoot ocean during a sunny day.. if i exposed the sky correctly, the sea went white .. and it sea was exposed correctly, the sky went underexposed...

never thought there was something like 'too much light' :P

HeaTransfer
554 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 02, 2011 00:57 |  #11

Actually, the entire image is underexposed -- snow and sky.

Metering generally tries to make your entire frame 18% gray as the "ideal" exposure. Therefore, a plain white shot will be, if shot at default evaluative metering on most cameras, underexposed (the camera tries to turn the white into gray). Conversely metering will end up overexposing a black object, turning it gray.

Sometimes there is too much contrast between light and dark (think of harsh shadows at noon on a clear summer day) and you can't do too much about it. A few things you can try:

- take two exposures; take one properly exposing the subjects in the snow and another that properly exposes the sky. Then cut 'n paste in photoshop or whatever.
- use a graduated ND filter. (I have never done this before but I understand the principle of how it works).

JakAHearts
Cream of the Crop
6,744 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Feb 02, 2011 07:25 |  #12

I agree that everything is underexposed. If youre using AE (which you are in this shot) then dial in some positive exposure compensation. It works like a charm. The snow will be white and the sky will be brighter.

For this shot, try upping the exposure a bit in DPP and see if that helps at all.

Shane
flickr (external link)

JOSX2
627 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 02, 2011 07:38 |  #13

x3 on the exposure being wrong (camera autoexposed for 18% grey, thereby making the white snow grey & darkening the sky). Grab a graduated ND filter & slap it over the lens. I think in this case, you'd want to put the dark part over the snow & the clear part is on the sky, this way , the snow won't overexpose while you're trying to expose the sky properly. If done the other way (dark part over the sky), you'd have to overexpose to get the sky to come through the filter & then the snow would be completely blown out.

website: Jim O'Sullivan Photography (external link) | Facebook (external link)
The Camera:  |- Gripped 60D  -|- EF-S 50mm f/1.8 II -|- Canon 24-70mm f/4 -|- Canon 70-200 f/4 -|
Speedlights:   |- 3 Yongnou YN600EX-RT Speedlights -|- YN-E3-RT Transmitter -|
Studio Strobes:  |- Alien Bee B800 & B1600 -|- CyberSync Wireless system -|

mpix345
Goldmember
2,870 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 02, 2011 07:42 as a reply to  @ JakAHearts's post |  #14

I've gotten some good snow and blue sky shots with my 40D this winter, but it does take some time: shoot/adjust/repeat...

Conversely, I've gotten great results SOOC on both my Panasonic GH1 and Sony TX5 in auto modes. I kind of hate to admit that, but the truth is the truth: Those cameras are smarter than I.

Rimmer
Goldmember
1,416 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 02, 2011 08:10 as a reply to  @ mpix345's post |  #15

Not only the dark sky, but the gray snow is a giveaway that the image is underexposed. But, it's not that far off, and since you shot RAW you should be able to recover without too much trouble. Here is a quick adjustment of the JPG using Adobe Camera RAW. Starting with your original file will give much better results (the sky is terribly posterized in this edit). Just getting the black and white points set will go a long way toward correcting the exposure.

-----

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Ace Rimmer -- "What a guy!"
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast." ;)

sponsored links

2,705 views & 0 likes for this thread
why is this sky charcoal black?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.