Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 01 Feb 2011 (Tuesday) 19:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Camera, lens or operator?

DetlevCM
Goldmember
3,431 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 02, 2011 02:21 |  #16

themadman wrote in post #11760829 (external link)
The issue might be lens/camera combo.

15MP on a APS-C is still pretty dense and the 18-200 isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer (of lens in the bag if you get my analogy). The denser the sensor the harder it is on lenses.

Are those crops at 100% or past 100%? Any image past 100% will look unsharp.

In general, I wouldn't worry too much how a photo looks super cropped. As long as it looks fine at the size you want to print (or display on your computer) then it is ok :)

Not sure I quite agree with the "unsharp" look - I had one image where it looked sharp at 200% too -> if you have some really fine contrast and differences occur over 1 line of pixels, then 200% will look quite OK too.

5D MK II AF Satisfaction Poll | Reduced Kit List
A Basic Guide to Photographyexternal link | Websiteexternal link
Flickrexternal link | Artflakesexternal link | Blurbexternal link

sponsored links
Bang ­ Bang ­ Boy
Goldmember
1,347 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 02, 2011 05:42 |  #17

Unfortunately the 18-200 is not the sharpest lens. It has other strenghts though like it's versatility and size.

I would get some new glass. I loved using the 18-200 but it just wasn't sharp enough for me. When they make a super zoom with the sharpness of the 70-200 I will have a field day.

Lots of old stuff but hey I am a student
Photojournalist in Johannesburg.

_aravena
isn't this answer a stickie yet?
12,450 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Feb 02, 2011 06:24 |  #18

I wish I could add something that hasn't been said but the 18-200 is the overall problem. While yes there's more you can do, the biggest is the glass. If you plan to do some beautiful landscape photos, ditch the versatile lens and get a more dedicated landscape lens.

Last Shot Photography
My Site (external link) ~ Gear List ~ Bag Reviews

KVN ­ Photo
Goldmember
1,940 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Feb 02, 2011 06:44 |  #19

Try 15-85, about the same cost, less FL, more sharpness performance

X-Pro1 + 18-55 f/2.8-4 OIS + 55-200 f/3.8-4.5 OIS
TS-E 24 f/3.5L II + XF 35 f/1.4 + XF 56 f/1.2
Sony RX100 II + G12
Travel the world!

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Feb 02, 2011 06:45 |  #20

Dr.Pete wrote in post #11759426 (external link)
The cheapest route for you to make the leap to L is the 17-40 f/4 L. It's an amazing landscape lens that delivers some crazy-sharp images.

actually the 17-40L is not so "crazy sharp" on a crop model!(there are sharper and less expensive alternatives)
but, yes, even without a filter the 18-200 is not the best for landscapes.

MichSt
Goldmember
1,009 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 02, 2011 06:58 |  #21

themadman wrote in post #11760829 (external link)
The issue might be lens/camera combo.

15MP on a APS-C is still pretty dense and the 18-200 isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer (of lens in the bag if you get my analogy). The denser the sensor the harder it is on lenses.

Are those crops at 100% or past 100%? Any image past 100% will look unsharp.

In general, I wouldn't worry too much how a photo looks super cropped. As long as it looks fine at the size you want to print (or display on your computer) then it is ok :)

What he said.

It's good to understand the cause of the problems, but unless it's affecting your final output (print, computer screen, etc) then I wouldn't get too caught up in worrying about these imperfections and lusting over new lenses.

Mario.Q

Canon EOS R

Hartley
THREAD ­ STARTER
130 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Feb 02, 2011 10:02 as a reply to  @ MichSt's post |  #22

Hi Gents,

The crops are at 100% - that is, I cropped them out of the original and show them here at the original resolution (no resize).

One of the reasons I'm getting into this is that I've discovered that doing heavy crops is sometimes resulting in an unsatisfactory image because it isn't sharp enuff. With my pocket camera that I take on things like Grand Canyon rafting trips, I sorta expect this, as the sensor is microscopic and the lens is about .5" in diameter - but I was hoping I could do better with my SLR.

What I was really wondering was whether i would do better with better glass or more megapixels, and it is looking like the answer is Glass..:D The 18-200 is durn convenient, but that would seem to have a price.. I already have a fairly good WA zoom in the Tokina (tho I don't use it as much as I shud), perhaps I should look at something like the 24-105 to cover the "midrange" with better IQ. I would be interested in y'all's thoughts on what is a reasonable (i.e., a kilobuck or less) lens to look at.
In reading the referenced reviews on the 18-200, I can also see that I can improve the CA issue, which has been particularly noticeable in some of my sunrise/sunset shots - maybe I DON'T have to "just put up with it"..;).

Again, thanks to all for your help!

Hartley J
Gear: 6D, 60D, 24-105L, 70-300L, Bigma, Tokina 12-24 18-55IS 430 EX II

aggieoutlaw
308 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Feb 02, 2011 10:07 |  #23

Honestly, I think the images look good. I wouldn't be displeased with the sharpness. You have an APS-C 15.1 MP sensor which pushes beyond the limit of the 18-200. Just don't view 100% crops. As the sensors get better, even the best lenses will struggle to keep up at 100%. No reasonable photographer should expect to print 100% crops.

jase1125
Goldmember
3,027 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined May 2010

Feb 02, 2011 10:13 |  #24

Unless you are in danger of injuring your lens or the filter is helping you achieve a certain look, get it off of there. Several times I have found images that were not quite as sharp as they should have been was caused by the filter. I recommend doing some tests with your filter to see if it is affecting sharpness at the very least.

Jason

Hartley
THREAD ­ STARTER
130 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Feb 02, 2011 10:20 as a reply to  @ jase1125's post |  #25

Hi Jason,

I will try a comparison with the filter on & off -- but I have it on there because a) I have fairly oily hands and b) "clumsy" is not quite strong enuff, and I REALLY get twitchy cleaning the lens vs the filter..:lol:

Hartley J
Gear: 6D, 60D, 24-105L, 70-300L, Bigma, Tokina 12-24 18-55IS 430 EX II

sponsored links

2,959 views & 0 likes for this thread
Camera, lens or operator?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.