Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 02 Feb 2011 (Wednesday) 16:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What filters to get?

KhanhD
"I need a grip . . . on my life"
1,523 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 02, 2011 16:49 |  #1

I officially own 0 (ZERO) usable filters now..dropped my last 77mm UV filter (that I dont use anyway) recently..been using a cracked 77mm B&W CPL for a while. :lol:

Since I rig, I need ND filters to give me more flexibility on shoot times and locations. Tying myself to the 1/2 hour after sunset or using a parking garage is kinda tough on scheduling sometimes. Ive been kicked out of every parking garage in a half hour radius anyway. :lol::lol:

My new rigging kit is 5D MkII + 16-35L II. This means 82mm filters. My other lenses are 77mm (70-200 2.8, Sig 1.4, 24-105L) and if I get the 70-200 f/4 itll be a 72mm, but that can be handled with adapter rings?

I was thinking going with the 4x4 or 4x6 filter system? That way I have the option for GNDs also?

How does a CPL work in that system?

And what are the brands to get? I dont have a billion dollars to spend on filters, but I dont want to put crap glass in front of my $texas lenses, either.

I need 2 NDs (3 or 4 stop) and a CPL at the least.

Khanh Duong | KHDPhoto.com (external link) | flickr (external link) | facebook (external link)
iPhone 5s + Instagram (external link)

JonK
Goldmember
2,161 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Feb 03, 2011 08:08 |  #2

Its in english.

I would look at the Cokin setups if you want

But truthfully a 82mm slim Kaesemann works well.

7NE | 7D | 5DII | 16-35/2.8L II | 24/1.4L II | TS-E 24/3.5L II | 50/1.4 | 85/1.2L II | 100/2.8L IS | 70-200/2.8L IS II | 400/5.6L | PIXMA Pro 9500 Mark II
check my blog:
www.jonkensy.com (external link)

Bollan
635 posts
Joined May 2006

Feb 03, 2011 08:59 |  #3

Well for screw in filters i recommend B+W or Hoya. Make sure you get the slim version to avoid vignetting. Hoya ND 16 (4 stop solid ND) and Hoya NDX (9 stop solid ND) are highly recommended. Hoya and B+W also makes excellent circular screw in polarizers.

For the ND grads i would definitely recommend you going with the 4x6 size as they are much more versatile and way easier to handhold if you ever need to.

Top of the range here is Singh-Ray (very expensive), followed by Lee and HiTech. I have used both LEE and HiTech grads but i prefer the result of HiTech grads. Singh-Ray can be ordered on their web, LEE filters are just a true menace to find to be honest and HiTech is easy found online. I usually buy from Teamwork Photo in UK (http://stores.ebay.co.​uk/41-42-Foley-Street-London-W1W (external link)) or this e-bay store at http://stores.ebay.co.​uk/photo4beu (external link).

As for the holder i recommend you going for the Lee Foundation Kit (filter holder with two slots)with that you also need a LEE Filters Lens Adapter Rings in 77mm and 82mm W/A Wide Angle for your lenses to attach the actual holder.

If you want to use polariser in combo with the 4x6 ND grads you need to get a
LEE Filters 105mm Polariser Ring that attaches in front of the LEE foundation kit holder and couple that with a 105mm polarizer. This way your filters will rotate independently of each other and put your polariser in FRONT of your ND grad which is essential.

B+W makes an excellent 105mm polarizer but its quite expensive.

To use this with smaller diameter lenses just order a step-up ring for them.

I havent mentioned the cheap and popular Cokin brand as i find their filters give to much undesired colour cast to my liking.

My Gear
My Equestrian Gallery (external link)
My Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

867 views & 0 likes for this thread
What filters to get?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.