Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 31 Jan 2011 (Monday) 16:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

PP Help Needed

1life1chance
100 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 31, 2011 16:59 |  #1

Hi,

I am very very new to digital Photography. I have absolutely no idea about post processing but I understand it's importance. I have recently acquired LR3.3 and I will also be getting CS5 from a friend. Since I dont have the CS5 already, I am kind-of doing some random "trial-n-error" with LR3.3, just to discover what the commands/features/func​tionalities do to your photos. I have also been watching LR tutorial videos that are available for free. I will be extremely grateful to you if any of you could share your PP workflows (for LR as well as CS) so that I could go step-by-step with each. I understand all photographs will not need touch up with everything, however, if you could just let me know what all the areas are that PP involves, I can read up/experiment about all of these, barring the extremely rare and complex features. Any help will be greatly appreciated. And, all of your wonderful pictures are my inspiration, I digress from my research quite often just to browse through and marvel at the galleries... :)

Thanks, Ani.

5D2 7D 17-40 L 35L 85 1.8 100 L 135 L 300 4L
FEEDBACK 1234
FOR SALE 7D (<1500 Act), 17-40 L

sponsored links
ChasP505
"brain damaged old guy"
5,566 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 31, 2011 17:06 |  #2

You've got an impressive collection of equipment which suggests to me you're no beginner. What did you do with your photos up until right now?

Chas P
"It doesn't matter how you get there if you don't know where you're going!"https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=10864029#po​st10864029

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 31, 2011 20:25 |  #3

It's hard to know where to begin, since you've already begun!

Check out our RAW Conversion Thread for some inspiring and informative examples of Raw processing. Get as much as you can out of Lightroom.

for Photoshop, there is a whole lot to learn.A great site to learn from is Lynda.com. It has a paid subscription, but also a free trial so you can submerse yourself in the realm of PS -- in fact, yo can download a free trial of PS so you can begin to get up to speed.

Books abound for both of these apps -- Martin Evening and Scott Kelby both have ongoing series on both, and Victoria Bampton has a well-regarded series on Lightroom as well as a site with good resources, LightroomQueen.com.

It's a lot to learn and get a handle on, but very rewarding!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

1life1chance
THREAD ­ STARTER
100 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 31, 2011 23:44 |  #4

ChasP505 wrote in post #11751153 (external link)
You've got an impressive collection of equipment which suggests to me you're no beginner. What did you do with your photos up until right now?

No I've just started....by splurging a coupla years' savings on stuff...all bought almost back-to-back.....waited very long nursing the dream, and spent almost on a prolonged impulse... :) Zilch PP up till now, trying to take good pictures, which would be the other half... :)

FEEDBACK 1234

1life1chance
THREAD ­ STARTER
100 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 31, 2011 23:48 |  #5

tonylong wrote in post #11752498 (external link)
It's hard to know where to begin, since you've already begun!

Check out our RAW Conversion Thread for some inspiring and informative examples of Raw processing. Get as much as you can out of Lightroom.

for Photoshop, there is a whole lot to learn.A great site to learn from is Lynda.com. It has a paid subscription, but also a free trial so you can submerse yourself in the realm of PS -- in fact, yo can download a free trial of PS so you can begin to get up to speed.

Books abound for both of these apps -- Martin Evening and Scott Kelby both have ongoing series on both, and Victoria Bampton has a well-regarded series on Lightroom as well as a site with good resources, LightroomQueen.com.

It's a lot to learn and get a handle on, but very rewarding!

Thanks for all the inputs Tony, you've hit the nail on the head, it's hard to find where to begin since I've already begun. I am reading quite a bit, but sometimes it just seems like I'm wandering in a death circle, read something and feel like I've read the same from another source. I'm trying to just skim through tutorials, very impatient to somehow close the circle, and put the shallow knowledge to practice on the pics that I've already taken... :( I'll keep at, though...!!

FEEDBACK 1234

PhotosGuy
75,634 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Feb 01, 2011 09:21 |  #6

No I've just started...

OK, so let's start at the beginning. You have calibrated your monitor and your browser, right? If you haven't done both, then what you're seeing is most likely not what some of the rest of us are seeing.
René's thread w/link to my calibration threads:
Color problems? [work in progress?]

2nd, shoot RAW: SHOOTIING IN RAW?
Why? Because you're going to screw up & RAW might save you. Why I love RAW - '53 Ford Sunliner

3rd, set your White Balance. Why?
Notice that the very last exposure in the 2nd group of tests was of a gray card, & it's way off.
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=54281
Yes, you can try to adjust it in PP, but Curtis has a thread showing that a bad WB to start with can have one channel blown out which can mean that you'll never be able to get back to the "correct" WB. So I take the extra 20 seconds to set WB up.
How NOT to expose to the right

4th, set your exposure. Need an exposure crutch?
First set the f-stop & shutter speed you need. Then adjust the ISO. Yes, you can also adjust that in PP, & the Auto modes are pretty good, but why start out having to contend with this effect?
Post #47

5th, make all the corrections needed in the RAW processor. Then when you go into Photo$hop, you can make small adjustments to part of the images using various methods. See these for a few:
Adjustment Layers in post #9:
Airport runway shoot
includes:
Masks & Blend Modes are another:
For those needing help making selections in Photoshop

Layer Mask Tricks (external link)

See post #13 in this, & the links in it.
Malibu in the snow.

When you've finished with that, save the file as a .tif or .psd file with the layers intact. Flatten the image.
There are a lot of different ways to sharpen the image. Some start at this point: Sticky: Sharpening Tips & Tricks, Tutorials, and FAQ

If you're going to print, most of the time you're going to want to re-save the image as a .jpg.
If it's for the web, resize it & resharpen it. Use "Save As" to keep the EXIF info intact.

That should keep you busy for a while? ;)

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

1life1chance
THREAD ­ STARTER
100 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 01, 2011 17:17 |  #7

PhotosGuy wrote in post #11755493 (external link)
OK, so let's start at the beginning. You have calibrated your monitor and your browser, right? If you haven't done both, then what you're seeing is most likely not what some of the rest of us are seeing.
René's thread w/link to my calibration threads:
Color problems? [work in progress?]

2nd, shoot RAW: SHOOTIING IN RAW?
Why? Because you're going to screw up & RAW might save you. Why I love RAW - '53 Ford Sunliner

3rd, set your White Balance. Why?
Notice that the very last exposure in the 2nd group of tests was of a gray card, & it's way off.
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=54281
Yes, you can try to adjust it in PP, but Curtis has a thread showing that a bad WB to start with can have one channel blown out which can mean that you'll never be able to get back to the "correct" WB. So I take the extra 20 seconds to set WB up.
How NOT to expose to the right

4th, set your exposure. Need an exposure crutch?
First set the f-stop & shutter speed you need. Then adjust the ISO. Yes, you can also adjust that in PP, & the Auto modes are pretty good, but why start out having to contend with this effect?
Post #47

5th, make all the corrections needed in the RAW processor. Then when you go into Photo$hop, you can make small adjustments to part of the images using various methods. See these for a few:
Adjustment Layers in post #9:
Airport runway shoot
includes:
Masks & Blend Modes are another:
For those needing help making selections in Photoshop

Layer Mask Tricks (external link)

See post #13 in this, & the links in it.
Malibu in the snow.

When you've finished with that, save the file as a .tif or .psd file with the layers intact. Flatten the image.
There are a lot of different ways to sharpen the image. Some start at this point: Sticky: Sharpening Tips & Tricks, Tutorials, and FAQ

If you're going to print, most of the time you're going to want to re-save the image as a .jpg.
If it's for the web, resize it & resharpen it. Use "Save As" to keep the EXIF info intact.

That should keep you busy for a while? ;)

Thanks a ton, Frank!! Except for #2 (I try to be consciously taking pictures only in RAW, however, sometimes I push to forget the JPEG-RAW button and take pictures in JPEG unintentionally), I have done none of these. Sure that's a good chunk of homework, but that's exactly what I am looking for, given I am reading anyways without directing my efforts at something a little more planned. This is very, very helpful! (and a handful) :)

FEEDBACK 1234

1life1chance
THREAD ­ STARTER
100 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 03, 2011 11:05 as a reply to  @ 1life1chance's post |  #8

Is there a way to program the camera to shoot in RAW for all shots in all modes and not to have to press the RAW/JPEG button every time? I use a 7D...

FEEDBACK 1234

tolyD
723 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 03, 2011 11:16 |  #9

sure you can just set to raw in raw selection and minus in jpeg selection in the bottom row.

5D MkII | 35L | 50 1.4 | 85 1.8 | 2x 580ex II |

flick (external link)r
web (external link)
facebook (external link)

digital_AM
Cream of the Crop
6,823 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 03, 2011 11:34 |  #10

Great advice PhotosGuy. Thanks so much.

sponsored links

1,301 views & 0 likes for this thread
PP Help Needed
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.