Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 04 Feb 2011 (Friday) 00:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Post Processing Softwares

shagun ­ segan
34 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 04, 2011 00:36 |  #1

Hi,

I am planning to buy a DSLR soon and would need a software for post processing. Photoshop seems way out of my present budget. So what other freewares or CS downloads can I look at?

Thanks

sponsored links
satuman
52 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 04, 2011 00:43 |  #2

GIMP!

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 04, 2011 03:15 |  #3

The Gimp is pretty sophisticated and powerful with a lot to learn -- if you want that kind of challenge with a lot of features, sure, give it to go!

A much simpler freeware is Picasa by Google. It's a snappy bit of software that seems to have a good bit of stuff, although I've never actually used it, it just gets opened and looked at once in awhile.

The Canon software that come with your camera has some basic editing for jpegs, nothing fancy, but both ZoomBrowser and Digital Photo Professtional (DPP) have simple editing tools, with the advantage of the fact that they "keep up" with Canon cameras through the ability to upgrade consistently and the fact that DPP is a good support/converter for Canon's low-level Raw format for more powerful processing.

If you want something that is not free but well put together and quite powerful, there is the "little brother" of Photoshop, which is Photoshop Elements. It has inherited a lot of great tools from the full version of Photoshop but costs less than $100 USD.

Other options are out there but those are pretty popular.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

shagun ­ segan
THREAD ­ STARTER
34 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 04, 2011 03:30 |  #4

I have used Picassa a lot but then I thinks thers a lot you cant do with it.. I saw an online thing called picnik.com and that seems nice but uploading pics all the time is not fast.

I am looking forward to DPP for my needs and if I need more, would go for Elements for sure. Thanks a lot.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 04, 2011 03:45 |  #5

Well, also install ZoomBrower -- you may find that some of the edting features are more accessible in it initially -- you need to get the hang of things when using DPP, even for jpegs.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Zebedee123
240 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Feb 04, 2011 09:29 |  #6

I started on Elements - I think it' fab software. And once you can afford Photoshop everything you've learnt in Elements is transferable and it’s only around £50.00 – bargain!

http://www.paulabeaumo​ntphotography.co.uk/ (external link)http://www.facebook.co​m/paulabeaumontphotogr​aphy (external link)
Canon 5D Mk III II Canon 5D II II Sigma macro 105mm II Tamron 24-70mm 2.8f VC II Canon 70x200mm L F2.8 Mk II II Canon 50mm F1.8 II tripods, lots of bags, flashes strobes, pocket wizards and lots of other "stuff" II

Dustman
853 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 04, 2011 10:44 |  #7

Elements!!! PSE 9 is very powerful, and under $90

www.DustinLevine.com (external link)

bongEstrella
602 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Feb 04, 2011 14:45 |  #8

i recently just bought Photoshop/Premiere Elements 9 Bundle in Amazon for $100, with $30 mail-in rebate. For freewares, I've heard good things about Picasa.

My Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 60d, 15-85
Feedback

woos
Goldmember
2,224 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 04, 2011 14:52 |  #9

Canon DPP is a *great* raw converter. Canon has great video tutorials for it on their site. Learn it, use it. :)

For further post processing needs, get Photoshop Elements 9. It's cheap, get it at Costco. :)

Or perhaps get lightroom 3 for an all-encompassing solution (might want elements as well though).

If you don't want to spend any money at all:
1. Use DPP for raw conversions.
2. Download the GIMP for those times when you need it.
3. Image Analyzer if you ever need advanced sharpening, deconvolution, fractal based and/or gamma correct resizing, etc. :P All free.

amanathia.zenfolio.com

shagun ­ segan
THREAD ­ STARTER
34 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 05, 2011 01:42 as a reply to  @ woos's post |  #10

That sounds great. Will do that and if i think I need more then would invest in it. Thanks

Damian75
Goldmember
1,623 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 06, 2011 10:27 |  #11

Gimp is great and free but can have a bit of a learning curve
PS Elements is good for the money
If you use a Mac check out Pixelmator

Canon EOS 40D,30D, Canon 70-200 2.8L, 24-70 2.8L, 85 1.8, Canon extension tube, Elinchrom Lighting gear, 
Website (external link)

sponsored links

1,678 views & 0 likes for this thread
Post Processing Softwares
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.