Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 03 Feb 2011 (Thursday) 15:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Basketball match with the 7D

orbitechgr
Goldmember
1,075 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Feb 03, 2011 15:29 |  #1

********For the new pictures please visit the latest post***********

Well title says it all. This is one of my first basketball matches with the 7D. I was actually sitting in a good place, not so comfy but quite near to take advantage of my 70-200 F4L.
Trying to get the most out of this lens, I was shooting in shutter priority mode between 1/400 and 1/500(wish I could do higher). I had a decent keeper rate so I'm quite pleased taking into consideration the speed of the lens and the shooting conditions. I used expanded AF and zone AF.
So I'd like to know your opinion on some of these shots.
Of course any recommendations are more than welcome, regarding the technique and the PP. Thanks in advance ;)

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4114/5414303882_1176f1d5a4_z.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4112/5414302624_3b10d6663b_z.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4101/5414301268_257561b3e6_z.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4112/5413688917_99bcbc4c48_z.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5293/5413695231_e7d1e5fa4e_z.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5013/5414308358_97a685c3f9_z.jpg

********For the new pictures please visit the latest post***********

Gear
Flickr (external link)
Jim

sponsored links
corkneyfonz
Goldmember
2,477 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 03, 2011 17:08 |  #2

Nice and sharp and whilst I realise the inherent problems shooting the sport, they look a tad too busy for me. There also seeems to be a colour balance issue which could just be an optical illusion.

My Flickr (external link)

orbitechgr
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,075 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Feb 03, 2011 18:18 |  #3

corkneyfonz wrote in post #11771748 (external link)
Nice and sharp and whilst I realise the inherent problems shooting the sport, they look a tad too busy for me. There also seeems to be a colour balance issue which could just be an optical illusion.

Thanks for the feedback. Yes indeed they are "busy" and some of them not so good in terms of composition, but I think at least that's because I didn't have the time & the necessary reach in many shots to shoot "tight" . I was surprised to see that even 200mm won't cut it for a basketball game, if you're not on the sidelines of a stadium like this.

Thanks again.

Gear
Flickr (external link)
Jim

ShaneKPhotography
831 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 03, 2011 19:29 |  #4

Nice shots! I am somewhat new so don't take anything I say to heart, I could be wrong, but I think there's a pinkish color cast on the first few from all the red around them.

Rebel XS Gripped, EF-S 18-55, EF 50 f/1.8, Tamron SP 70-300, 430 EX II, Sigma DG OS 150-500.
flickr (external link) || Facebook (external link) || Website (external link)

AZGeorge
Goldmember
2,653 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 03, 2011 19:52 |  #5

Basketball is not easy.

As you already mentioned, getting much closer helps a lot. Even with a 1.6 crop camera 200mm only gets you so far. If you can't get one of the coveted spots under the basket, take anything you can get on a sideline and wait for some action to come to you.

You might also want to push your ISO up even higher than 1600 so you can get down below 1/1000. A noisy razor sharp image still looks very good with noise reduced.

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

Vmann
148 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Feb 03, 2011 20:31 as a reply to  @ AZGeorge's post |  #6

Good shots from where you were. My only thing is most of the pics look like there crooked an not in a on purpose since... if wrong then sorry just the rails on the bleachers make it look really off

Always be open to opinion especially if it's mine!

HeaTransfer
554 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 03, 2011 20:42 |  #7

What I've learned from shooting volleyball indoors:

1. Crop. I am guessing that you'll get a very decent web-size image by cropping 3 and 4 tight.
2. There's no reason NOT to shoot manual exposure, since light is constant.
3. There appear to be WB issues (possibly due to cycling lights). I don't know of any easy way to fix this aside from shooting RAW and then setting WB manually in post.

orbitechgr
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,075 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Feb 04, 2011 00:45 as a reply to  @ HeaTransfer's post |  #8

Thanks all for your feedback. I think the WB/color is off as many of you stated (I'll try & see what I can do for this), but shooting @higher ISOs is not my cup of tea.. That's why the 70-200 2.8 IS II is on its way, so I can achieve better,quicker and more accurate focus along with better shutter speed.. Shooting manual is my purpose.. I'll keep on experimenting..

Gear
Flickr (external link)
Jim

two40
368 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Feb 04, 2011 02:17 |  #9

Set your camera to Av and shoot as wide open as possible, in your case f4. Use your ISO to control your shutter speed and don't be afraid of some motion blur. It can significantly add to the feel of the photo. The wide open aperture will help you separate your subject from the background which I see as your biggest problem here.

auto (external link) | photo (external link) | flickr (external link)

orbitechgr
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,075 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Feb 04, 2011 04:16 |  #10

two40 wrote in post #11774197 (external link)
Set your camera to Av and shoot as wide open as possible, in your case f4. Use your ISO to control your shutter speed and don't be afraid of some motion blur. It can significantly add to the feel of the photo. The wide open aperture will help you separate your subject from the background which I see as your biggest problem here.

I guess I can try that but since I'm not a big fan of motion blur for team sports, I'm trying to shoot in shutter speed priority, so I can freeze action given the relatively slow aperture of the lens for indoor sports. Theme isolation would be tougher since I think I'd need either shooting tighter(not enough reach for this even on crop) or having faster aperture.Thanks for the recommendation though

Gear
Flickr (external link)
Jim

Qbx
Goldmember
3,962 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 04, 2011 07:45 |  #11

Then why not use a flash. It will stop the action and separate the background.

-- Image Editing OK --

orbitechgr
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,075 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Feb 04, 2011 08:18 |  #12

Qbx wrote in post #11774938 (external link)
Then why not use a flash. It will stop the action and separate the background.

I'm not so fond of flash to be honest. I like natural light wherever I can use it..Besides it's not so polite to have a flash keep firing when inside spectators.

Gear
Flickr (external link)
Jim

Crystal ­ W ­ Photography
500 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 04, 2011 09:19 |  #13

As it was said, nice shots. Good set of freezing motion. The photos just look like they have a tint of red to them. The last one looks the best for color.

Crystal
www.crystalwightman.co​m (external link)
Add me on Facebook (external link)

Hedley
197 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Feb 04, 2011 10:19 |  #14

orbitechgr wrote in post #11773966 (external link)
Thanks all for your feedback. I think the WB/color is off as many of you stated (I'll try & see what I can do for this), but shooting @higher ISOs is not my cup of tea.. That's why the 70-200 2.8 IS II is on its way, so I can achieve better,quicker and more accurate focus along with better shutter speed.. Shooting manual is my purpose.. I'll keep on experimenting..

And it wouldn't do any harm to shallow up the dof.

two40
368 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Feb 04, 2011 15:19 |  #15

orbitechgr wrote in post #11774437 (external link)
I guess I can try that but since I'm not a big fan of motion blur for team sports, I'm trying to shoot in shutter speed priority, so I can freeze action given the relatively slow aperture of the lens for indoor sports. Theme isolation would be tougher since I think I'd need either shooting tighter(not enough reach for this even on crop) or having faster aperture.Thanks for the recommendation though

I just threw in motion blur as an afterthought to be honest. My main reason for posting was to point out that you probably should be shooting in Av at f4 and use your ISO to get whatever shutter speeds you desire. Isolating your subjects via shallow dof will make your basketball photos a lot more interesting.

All the best.

auto (external link) | photo (external link) | flickr (external link)

sponsored links

2,607 views & 0 likes for this thread
Basketball match with the 7D
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.