Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
Thread started 31 Jan 2011 (Monday) 15:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Hiking with gear! need advise

jdmhon
233 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jan 31, 2011 15:22 |  #1

I live on the island of Oahu in Hawaii and plan on going to Kauai to hike the 22 mile Na Pali trail and I needed some advise on what gear to bring. At first I was thinking of bringing both my 7D and my 5D with the 10-22, 24-70, 70-200 and my 100 macro lens. One of my friends is bringing his 7D with a 10-22 I believe. The more I think about it I think I should bring one camera.

BTW I have a grip for my 5D + 3 batteries but dont have a grip for my 7D but I do have 3 batteries. I also have 12 Apple rechargeable batteries I could use in my grip. I am thinking about getting a grip for my 7D soon. After I decided weather or not to bring both cameras or not batteries is my next concern as I will be on the trail for 3 days 3 nights, I might have to get more batteries.

thanks for the help

5D III x2 & FUJI xT-1s: 24L, 35L, 50L 85L II, 100L Macro H-IS, 135L Paul C Buff Lighting
-15" MacBook Pro Retina w/ Capture One & Lightroom 5 -Adobe CS6 Suite -NIK Software Contact: geoffmau@me.com (external link)
www.geoffmau.com (external link)

sponsored links
EL_PIC
Goldmember
2,028 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 31, 2011 15:32 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

1 camera with zoom is advised for hiking.
I am going to do same hike latter in year with 5D and 24-105 F4L.
I am also going to Costa Rica for hiking with gear as above.

EL_PIC - RIT BS Photo '78 - Photomask Engineering Mgr
Canon DSLR - Nikon SLR - Phase One 60MP MFDSLR
http://www.Photo-Image-Creations.com (external link)
http://www.musecube.co​m/el_pic/ (external link)
http://www.facebook.co​m/PhotoImageCreations (external link)

jdmhon
THREAD ­ STARTER
233 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jan 31, 2011 15:34 |  #3

5D or 7D?

i hope to make it to south america also!

5D III x2 & FUJI xT-1s: 24L, 35L, 50L 85L II, 100L Macro H-IS, 135L Paul C Buff Lighting
-15" MacBook Pro Retina w/ Capture One & Lightroom 5 -Adobe CS6 Suite -NIK Software Contact: geoffmau@me.com (external link)

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,443 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 31, 2011 15:44 as a reply to  @ EL_PIC's post |  #4

I'd just take the one body; that area's pretty danged remote and you're going to want more space for supplies, etc I'd imagine.

If you're going to take the 5D, I would be worried that 24mm isn't going to be wide enough for the coast up there. When we were there I found that 17mm on the 7D was insufficient for a lot of the views there.

I'm jealous, though. I would love to get back to Kauai.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

jdmhon
THREAD ­ STARTER
233 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jan 31, 2011 15:49 |  #5

Yes i go to Kauai a lot! Love it. ive never got to complete the whole trail. yes your 17 is pretty much the same focal length as the 18-135 kit lens. I have my 10-22 which gives me a 16 on the 7D. Thats why it is so hard for me to decide. get the width i need with the 10-22 or full frame of my 5D.

ideally i would love to take my 10-22, a 24-105L and my macro lens!

something else to consider is the weather conditions, i dont PLAN on getting my gear wet but surely the 7D would handle accidental water better than my 5D classic.

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,443 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 31, 2011 16:04 |  #6

jdmhon wrote in post #11750624 (external link)
Yes i go to Kauai a lot! Love it. ive never got to complete the whole trail. yes your 17 is pretty much the same focal length as the 18-135 kit lens. I have my 10-22 which gives me a 16 on the 7D. Thats why it is so hard for me to decide. get the width i need with the 10-22 or full frame of my 5D.

ideally i would love to take my 10-22, a 24-105L and my macro lens!

something else to consider is the weather conditions, i dont PLAN on getting my gear wet but surely the 7D would handle accidental water better than my 5D classic.

You make a good point about the weather; given that, I'd say take the 7D and lenses you just mentioned, myself. Best of luck out there!

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

jdmhon
THREAD ­ STARTER
233 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jan 31, 2011 16:10 |  #7

thanks that helps me make my decision a little easier! i might have to get a grip for my 7D before i go so i can use my rechargeable batteries!!

argyle
Cream of the Crop
8,187 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Feb 04, 2011 08:44 as a reply to  @ jdmhon's post |  #8

The less stuff you have to carry, the better...maybe ditch the macro lens for a much lighter extension tube or two, and re-think the need for battery grips and a bunch of rechargeables. Unfortunately, the 7D and 5D use different battery types...if the FF was a 5D2, you'd be golden since it shares the same battery with the 7D. Luckily, the LPE6 and BP-511's hold a charge for a very long time...if you bring along fully-charged batteries, you could get by with probably one per day per body (to give you some perspective, when I had my 5D, I was to shoot about 400 RAW images per battery charge). Plus, you'll only be using one body at a time anyway, which will conserve battery power. You will need to carry a three day supply of drinking water (from what I remember, there's none available on the trail). This will add quite a bit of weight, not to mention food and camping equipment. You'll also need a good backpack with a tripod carrier or one that will allow you to lash the tripod to it...you will want to keep your hands free on the trail. Lots of mud and slippery spots, so you'll need to keep your hands available for balance and things to grab onto. It should go without saying...your shoes will get pretty trashed from the mud (deep in some spots)...wear ones that will give good support that you won't mind getting trashed (and definitely not flip-flops).

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son". - Dean Wormer

GEAR LIST

Enrico84
47 posts
Joined May 2010

Feb 04, 2011 16:48 |  #9

I would go with one body also, 10-22 (if using 7D), 24-70 and maybe 70-200

sponsored links

1,235 views & 0 likes for this thread
Hiking with gear! need advise
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.