Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 02 Feb 2011 (Wednesday) 13:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Since Mozy has lost their minds...

RWatkins
Goldmember
1,229 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 03, 2011 22:18 |  #16

I cannot stand it when any company uses "unlimited" as marketing speak, without thinking of the ramifications of their statements.

Stuff and things
President – International Brotherhood of Instagram Haters

sponsored links
photoguy6405
Cream of the Crop
5,349 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 03, 2011 22:24 |  #17

RWatkins wrote in post #11773403 (external link)
I cannot stand it when any company uses "unlimited" as marketing speak, without thinking of the ramifications of their statements.

Agreed. I hate when companies use the word "free" in the same manner. To me, free should mean absolutely zero money out of my pocket.... and with no strings attached. Anything other than that is not 'free'.

Website: Iowa Landscape Photography (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear List & Feedback
Equipment For Sale: Canon PowerShot A95

isoMorphic
Goldmember
2,090 posts
Joined May 2008

Feb 04, 2011 03:44 |  #18

photoguy6405 wrote in post #11773419 (external link)
Anything other than that is not 'free'.

I bet you think Google is free since it costs you zero out of pocket. :lol:

photoguy6405
Cream of the Crop
5,349 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 04, 2011 08:34 |  #19

isoMorphic wrote in post #11774374 (external link)
I bet you think Google is free since it costs you zero out of pocket. :lol:

You missed my point. :rolleyes:

Website: Iowa Landscape Photography (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear List & Feedback

Mk1Racer
Goldmember
1,735 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 04, 2011 08:44 |  #20

RWatkins wrote in post #11773403 (external link)

Yep, several years ago I set up a website w/ forums for a group that I was part of. Found a place to host it, they claimed unlimited bandwidth, etc. Installed the forum software (UBB) and let everyone know. Mind you, this was a small group (<100 users). The first month in, I get a note from the hosting company that we are over our usage limit. I remind them that our plan says "unlimited bandwidth, etc.". They tell me that our forum software is too much of a resource hog, and that we won't be able to use it. Bottom line is they end up canceling our account and refunding our money. At least we got our money back!

7D, BG-E7, BGE2x2 (both FS), 17-55 f/2.8 IS, 17-85 f/4-5.6 IS (FS), 50 f/1.8, 85 f/1.8, 70-200 f/2.8L IS Mk I, 70-300 f/4-5.6L, 550EX, Kenko Pro300 1.4xTC

tekkie
Goldmember
2,621 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 04, 2011 19:55 |  #21

another unhappy mozy person, total BS what they are pulling, I have 360GB of photos online and I have no intentions of using their new policy

I will be changing to another company as well

Canon 1DMKII, 7D, 5DMKII, 1D MKII
Canon 500L, 100-400L
, 70-200 2.8L, 17-40L, 24-105L, 24mm 2.8,50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 135mm 2.8 SF, 100mm Macro
Canon 430 & 580 flashes

isoMorphic
Goldmember
2,090 posts
Joined May 2008

Feb 05, 2011 00:33 |  #22

photoguy6405 wrote in post #11775153 (external link)
You missed my point. :rolleyes:

Nope and the fact is most everyone is doing it now which is the point because the average consumer only pays attention to how great the "free" wrapper looks. Just look at the hosting industry every major player who is not a mere reseller now offers unlimited bandwidth and or storage. Almost every cell carrier and internet provider in the US also has an unlimited plans with lots of hidden limits.

Mozy has simply proven the fact that if service providers decide to stop hiding the truth in fine print consumers get upset. So the best thing any company can do is keep on screwing the consumer and let them continue to buy into a false belief that anything in this world is without limits. However for the smart ones it's clearly written in the terms under "Excessive Usage Policy" as with every other unlimited service provider out there.

I feel sorry for companies like Mozy because when providers try to be competitive and they don't offer unlimited service in todays market they simply cant. It's a proven fact that a large majority of consumers will simply flock to whomever appears to be cheaper even if the service sucks. So now days every new service that wants a piece of the internet pie has to lie just like all the rest or they will fail and it's simple as that.

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,586 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 05, 2011 00:46 |  #23

I don't know how companies can really offer unlimited storage to those that would really use it. I question Mozy's methods here, but really, they can't come close to offering a bunch of storage for $50 a year. I work in storage and systems in IT and honestly a lower-end storage system that could handle this type of task would be about $1000 a TB. That's for pretty slow disk in a system you can count on to stay up 24/7. Add in bandwidth and management, and you'd probably have to charge a $100 a month to break even.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
EOS Rp | iPhone 11 Pro Max

isoMorphic
Goldmember
2,090 posts
Joined May 2008

Feb 05, 2011 02:52 |  #24

tkbslc wrote in post #11780412 (external link)
I don't know how companies can really offer unlimited storage to those that would really use it.

It's a craps game which some run in the red for years with investors footing the losses. Some manage to get the right mix of big and small customers where it averages out or they upsell addons like managed services and domains. The rest end up folding before they ever really get off the ground so you rarely hear much about them.

As an example most customers don't realize they have unlimited bandwidth but on a 10Mbps pipe that is limited to under 2800GB. Then when you factor in the quality of the hardware most people use scripts like Wordpress that seriously limit overall performance. So your box with 3000GB of bandwidth for $49-99/month starts to choke well before you ever push half of what you paid for. If you contact the host about it they advise you to buy a bigger box and spend more money for the added resources needed to use more bandwidth.

There are many variations of the unlimited game played in many ways but even the very oxygen we breathe has limits.

skygod44
"in stockings and suspenders"
6,444 posts
Joined Nov 2008
Location: Southern Kyushu, Japan. Which means nowhere near Tokyo!

Feb 05, 2011 02:59 as a reply to  @ isoMorphic's post |  #25

What an interesting thread.
I'm still using a home-based system because, I guess, I'm a little old-fashioned in that I'm not 100% OK with words like "secure", "fail-safe", "unlimited access", etc.
I've got terabytes of storage under my desk, but we'll be moving home in the foreseeable future, so I'll be interested to follow what you online storage guys recommend!
Thanks for opening the discussion!
:-)

"Whatever you do, enjoy yourself...otherwise, what's the point."
6D/7D and ALL Canon/Sigma gear SOLD!!!! Now: Olympus PEN EP-5 & OM-D EM-5 Mk2 and 8 lenses!

photoguy6405
Cream of the Crop
5,349 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 05, 2011 13:01 |  #26

isoMorphic wrote in post #11780377 (external link)
Nope and the fact is most everyone is doing it now which is the point because the average consumer only pays attention to how great the "free" wrapper looks. Just look at the hosting industry every major player who is not a mere reseller now offers unlimited bandwidth and or storage. Almost every cell carrier and internet provider in the US also has an unlimited plans with lots of hidden limits.

Mozy has simply proven the fact that if service providers decide to stop hiding the truth in fine print consumers get upset. So the best thing any company can do is keep on screwing the consumer and let them continue to buy into a false belief that anything in this world is without limits. However for the smart ones it's clearly written in the terms under "Excessive Usage Policy" as with every other unlimited service provider out there.

I feel sorry for companies like Mozy because when providers try to be competitive and they don't offer unlimited service in todays market they simply cant. It's a proven fact that a large majority of consumers will simply flock to whomever appears to be cheaper even if the service sucks. So now days every new service that wants a piece of the internet pie has to lie just like all the rest or they will fail and it's simple as that.

Or, they could simply stop lying. Words like "unlimited" and "free" have very distinct connotations that pretty much everybody accepts as valid... which is precisely why companies use them. One can add a small-print disclaimer to maybe lessen the blow of the lie, and maybe make it not an outright lie, but the use of words like "unlimited" and "free" are still intentionally misleading nonetheless. They could simply stop lying. THAT... was my point.

I do not feel sorry for them one bit. Yes, they have to be competitive. I do not see that as a justification for lying. If they know they aren't willing or able to provide unlimited bandwidth, then they shouldn't make the claim. Period.

Greg ­ Edge
118 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 06, 2011 23:15 |  #27

I switched to crashplan before Christmas and am much happier that I was with Mozy. Mozy for Mac was buggy and super slow. I use online storage for my emergency last resort backup. Otherwise I have a good backup scheme set up here.

This winter we have had so much snow buildings are collapsing. In my town a large building collapsed Friday afternoon which house several businesses and apartments. The rest of the building was knocked down Saturday morning. The tenants and landlord were not allowed into the building to try and recover anything. The building was pulverized into a pile of rubble. Monday they begin hauling it away. Made me really think about my emergency backup plan.

isoMorphic
Goldmember
2,090 posts
Joined May 2008

Feb 07, 2011 04:35 |  #28

photoguy6405 wrote in post #11782559 (external link)
They could simply stop lying. THAT... was my point.

They wont have to once ISP's begin phasing out unlimited internet usage plans across the board.

zeisslensgirl
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 07, 2011 06:08 as a reply to  @ post 11773139 |  #29

CARBONITE DOES NOT BACK UP EXTERNAL DRIVES........

Only reason why I WONT go to carbonite..

The prices of externals are going to go up about 15-25% ME THINKS.??

zeisslensgirl
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 07, 2011 06:13 as a reply to  @ post 11773139 |  #30

CARBONITE DOES NOT BACK UP EXTERNAL DRIVES........

Only reason why I WONT go to carbonite..

The prices of externals are going to go up about 15-25% ME THINKS.??

SO MY 1.5 TB of images which they have me 31 days to 'retrieve' is impossilbe, it takes on full 7 days to set a restore point of 220GB. that IS NOT including if the computer crashes acciedental shut dowwn etc if you are downloading on TOP of the restore point you are getting I am uncertain if yOU CAN do both at hte same time.

It ridiculous. I have flickr, but even then, you can 'ACCIDENTALLY BE DELETED FOR NO REASON' too - but - we'll see what prevails over the next several months.

These onlines back up services are only going to gte BETTER. but READ THES MALL PRINT. some u can get remote accesss either. or cross platform computers, or more than 2 computers.

read read read, and ask.. MAKS SURE THEY HAVE 24/ AT LEAST CHAT SERVICE THATA REALLY HELPS. (if cust. service is important to you)

go to cnet.com
go to pcmag.(whatever)
go to DpREVIEW

check out which is best for you - (you can do side by side compares)

Consumer Reports I belives charges. but not sure for this kind of stufff.

DROBO here I come.

sponsored links

4,676 views & 0 likes for this thread
Since Mozy has lost their minds...
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.