Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 19 Dec 2005 (Monday) 16:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

You got a studio set up? Small, big? Show us how it looks like!

thaking
Goldmember
1,358 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Feb 04, 2011 23:35 |  #376

i would guess *not* vinyl...haven't used it, but does it stretch like that to be clipped to the stands?

sponsored links
MrScott
243 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Feb 04, 2011 23:42 |  #377

2 seperate things - the bg is fabric - the floor is? That is the question.

thaking
Goldmember
1,358 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Feb 04, 2011 23:46 |  #378

gonna guess it's the tile board as well....

MrScott
243 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Feb 04, 2011 23:52 |  #379

Come on king - I know its hot in vegas, but you're tileboard doesn't ripple like that! :)

Boat Shrink Wrap (external link)

House wrap w/o a logo or label (external link)

OR

Vinyl Background (external link)

thaking
Goldmember
1,358 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Feb 04, 2011 23:54 |  #380

don't live in Vegas, but if you look at that photo, it is shaped exactly like tile board...and it looks like the cloth is on top of the tile board in that photo...

edit: but i'm purely speculating here...i guess he should chime in and let you know. :D

yagit80
Goldmember
1,257 posts
Joined May 2009

Feb 05, 2011 03:06 as a reply to  @ post 10221241 |  #381

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i731.photobucke​t.com …ybt/yagit80/L10​000101.jpg (external link)

flickriver (external link)
What Did You Blog Today? (external link)
Where's Tyler? (external link)
BOTTOM GEAR

111t
577 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Feb 05, 2011 10:00 |  #382

MrScott wrote in post #11779475 (external link)
^^^^ - Pic #3 - What's the white material taped down over the fabric bg? Totally thinking the material they shrinkwrap boats being pulled down the highway in???

It's a large format banner printing media. I don't know where the company gets it but we get a roll that weighs about 150lbs and cut off lengths for the sets. It's 6ft wide. It is a shing white material with reinforcing threads imprgnated in it. Set the way it is in pic 3 the spill from the background lights obliterates the line of the back of the material. There's still a 'line' resulting from the exposure transition, but it is much more natural looking.

Perhaps something like this:
http://www.jsisigns.co​m …d=action&key=BA​N-US-72x75 (external link)

The tileboard is nice until you try to fit it in a car.

All The best!
-Paul

WHAT TO DO IF YOU DON"T HAVE A LIGHT METER AND YOU STILL WANT TO MAKE INTELLIGENT EXPOSURE DECISIONS.

111t
577 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Feb 05, 2011 10:10 |  #383

MrScott wrote in post #11780178 (external link)
Paul - you're holding out on us!!!! What about this pic??? Vinyl?
QUOTED IMAGE

You've got a nice photobucket there - guessing the camping blog is more important than the photo one :)

Yeah i think that's a phone shot... (also) you see the modeling light effect on the bg. You don't see the subject light effect though. the idea is for the forground to not be so grayed out The material is nice on flat floors where you can tape it securely with duct tape. On carpets it blows.

All The best!
-Paul

WHAT TO DO IF YOU DON"T HAVE A LIGHT METER AND YOU STILL WANT TO MAKE INTELLIGENT EXPOSURE DECISIONS.

Damian75
Goldmember
1,623 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 06, 2011 13:29 |  #384

George b wrote in post #11788026 (external link)
What a great thread!

Here's my space. I shoot mostly products so I don't need a huge studio. I rent space when needed for larger jobs.

All my lighting equipment packs into two large custom wheeled cases, the cameras and computers go into separate hard cases. Everything transports easily for location work too.

Just curious what camera you are shooting with it looks medium format?

Canon EOS 40D,30D, Canon 70-200 2.8L, 24-70 2.8L, 85 1.8, Canon extension tube, Elinchrom Lighting gear, 
Website (external link)

ser8302
71 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 06, 2011 13:58 |  #385

Nice set up!

kokakaste2
Goldmember
3,546 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 06, 2011 17:49 |  #386

George b wrote in post #11788935 (external link)
Thanks ser8302,

Damian75, yes the camera is medium format, it's a Mamiya RZ67 with a digital back.

-G

Sounds like nice setup, been using borrowed RZ67 but with a 120 back. That camera is a beast ^^

Oskar (Oscar) - stuff I use- Flickr (external link) - My Facebook page (external link) :)

Damian75
Goldmember
1,623 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 06, 2011 18:49 |  #387

George b wrote in post #11788935 (external link)
Thanks ser8302,

Damian75, yes the camera is medium format, it's a Mamiya RZ67 with a digital back.

-G

What back do you have on there it makes the RZ look small :)

Canon EOS 40D,30D, Canon 70-200 2.8L, 24-70 2.8L, 85 1.8, Canon extension tube, Elinchrom Lighting gear, 
Website (external link)

symbolphoto
Cream of the Crop
6,623 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Feb 06, 2011 20:54 |  #388

Oh sweet, i never saw this thread before...

IMAGE: http://www.symbolphoto.com/other/SymbolNewStudio.jpg

Note: The wide angle and modifiers are deceiving.... that's a 16' ceiling. :)
This is just the shooting section, there are bedrooms, storage and client seating area as well. I just moved in, i still have lots of work to do. It already looks much different, but I'll do an after shot when it's complete. It'll be a vintage French motif.

samanp
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Feb 06, 2011 21:18 |  #389

@squaresnappr, in the following pic it looks like right portralite is higher than the left one (I have seen somewhat similar positioning in elinchrom dlite broucher as well). Is this the way you usually shoot? If so why do you prefer it over shooting both at same height?

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i430.photobucke​t.com …IMG_8979.jpg?t=​1285721144 (external link)

squaresnappr
278 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 06, 2011 21:29 |  #390

samanp wrote in post #11791086 (external link)
@squaresnappr, in the following pic it looks like right portralite is higher than the left one (I have seen somewhat similar positioning in elinchrom dlite broucher as well). Is this the way you usually shoot? If so why do you prefer it over shooting both at same height?

QUOTED IMAGE

I just took a pic like that, I actually move the couch back and move fill back 1-2 stops. I have improved in the modifier department and don't use the portalites anymore. I use an Elinchrom Rotalux Deep throat 100 cm as my Key light up higher and my Elinchrom Rotalux Octa lower down and 1 stop back as fill. I didn't know that it was wrong to do that and that you should shoot at the same height.

My Gear
http://www.solofotogra​phy.com (external link)
http://www.modelmayhem​.com/1896508 (external link)

sponsored links

553,618 views & 5 likes for this thread
You got a studio set up? Small, big? Show us how it looks like!
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.