Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 24 May 2010 (Monday) 23:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Yongnuo YN-560

themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 03, 2011 21:24 |  #271

Well... I got my YN560 yesterday. I like that it's shape is pretty much exactly the same as my 580EXII, that means they are share diffusers and stuff!

I also love the optical slave capability. I also LOVE the metal foot (which is honestly turned me off from most flashes) The only thing that weirded me out is the pilot button is red when it is ready and green when it is charging which is the opposite of my Canon flashes.

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

sponsored links
Rivest
Cream of the Crop
6,678 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 03, 2011 21:34 |  #272

The saddest part about the Yn-560 is this. I cannot make it work with the wireless flash function of the 60D. I can trigger it using the optical sensor but it is slightly out of sync (a tad slower) so it's flash doesn't appear in the picture. So I have to rely on my Rf-602 if I want to use both flash at the same time.

That's the negative part I found. This and it's durability/life span, which doesn't inpisre me confidance since my first broke 2 months after I got it :(

Hi, I'm David.

themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 04, 2011 01:08 |  #273

Can't you just manually set the 60D's built in flash to lowest power setting (and maybe tape some paper over it) so it doesn't really affect the picture and just use that to trigger?

Also is there no warranty of any kind? I Guess you may have to buy direct from yongnuo for that?

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

Xcelx
558 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Feb 04, 2011 02:19 |  #274

Rivest wrote in post #11773165 (external link)
I can trigger it using the optical sensor but it is slightly out of sync (a tad slower) so it's flash doesn't appear in the picture. So I have to rely on my Rf-602 if I want to use both flash at the same time.

Are you using the correct slave mode? I can use it at 1/200s just fine triggered by the camera flash, never had any issues with yongnuo flashes and optical slave sync. S2 for ettl and S1 for manual no preflash.

Rivest
Cream of the Crop
6,678 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 04, 2011 06:52 as a reply to  @ post 11712892 |  #275

Yes I'm sure I've set them correctly. I am talking about using both the 430ex AND the YN-560 at the same time. Using the YN-560 only there's no problem with that, I simply put the on-camera flash to 1/64 and it triggers it perfectly.

But if I want to use the 430ex at the same time, for some reasons there seems to be a little delay either on the 430ex or the YN-560 because they both fire but only the 430ex appears in the picture. To the human eye, it's impossible to tell which one is faster than the other.

Here's a discution at dpreview from people who have the same problem. : http://forums.dpreview​.com …age=36387668&ch​angemode=1 (external link)

Hi, I'm David.

Xcelx
558 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Feb 04, 2011 09:33 |  #276

Interesting stuff. I can't reproduce any problems with my 500D triggering the 560 in either s1 or s2. Tried triggering the 560 with my 468 on camera in both s1 and s2 and both worked flawlessly. all tested at 1/200s

I gotta say I really like how robust the 560 feels. Well worth the money and I love the optical slave trigger, can you it with any p&s camera also.

Rivest
Cream of the Crop
6,678 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 04, 2011 09:54 |  #277

Xcelx, you don't undersntad wgat I said ;)

In the 60D, as in the 7D, you are able to trigger your flash wirelessly, without any external adapter or trigger. It's built in. Using this option, I can succefully trigger my 430ex without a problem. But it does not work with the YN-560 at the same time. Out of sync.

Hope I cleared that up ;)

Hi, I'm David.

themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 04, 2011 12:49 |  #278

Rivest wrote in post #11775605 (external link)
Xcelx, you don't undersntad wgat I said ;)

In the 60D, as in the 7D, you are able to trigger your flash wirelessly, without any external adapter or trigger. It's built in. Using this option, I can succefully trigger my 430ex without a problem. But it does not work with the YN-560 at the same time. Out of sync.

Hope I cleared that up ;)

I am not familiar with the 60D, but the 7D uses the built in flash to trigger which should trigger the slave right? I guess I'll try it when I go home...

Rivest
Cream of the Crop
6,678 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 04, 2011 12:55 |  #279

Yup, they both trigger, but a little biy out of sync.

Try it, you'll see it ;)

Hi, I'm David.

dedsen
Goldmember
2,580 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 04, 2011 14:31 |  #280

So are you using the wireless function, as opposed to just putting the popup in manual, so you can control your 430ex and the YN-560? If you have your 560 in S2 and it is still not in sync I am guessing that it is because the popup in wireless mode has to send out a preflash, the command to flash and the actual flash. That would make 3x and not 2x.

Mortimer62
24 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 04, 2011 20:41 |  #281

Xcelx wrote in post #11763515 (external link)
only bad thing is doesn't work with my Meike-RC7 :( I'll have to see if I can figure out why it doesn't work

It seems that MK-RC7 are unpredictable.
The left one below (white contacts) doesn't work with Canon 188A and 577G and the right one (yellow contacts) does.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png'

rishu_pepper
Goldmember
1,044 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 05, 2011 02:59 |  #282

One question about the 560's: I want to buy one and trigger it with my PW Plus, I only have 1/8 to 1/8 cables though. Will that work or do I need to source out something else?

~My SmugMug~ (external link)
~Gear List and Feedback~

pantherphotos
Goldmember
1,314 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 05, 2011 06:25 |  #283

rishu_pepper wrote in post #11780667 (external link)
One question about the 560's: I want to buy one and trigger it with my PW Plus, I only have 1/8 to 1/8 cables though. Will that work or do I need to source out something else?

You'll need 1/8 to male PC for the 560. It only has a PC port.

Eric
Canon EOS 1D MkIIn | Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | 70 - 200 f/2.8L | 50 f/1.8 II | 2x YN560 flash
My Blog: http://pantherphotogra​phy.wordpress.com/ (external link)FACEBOOK (external link)

dedsen
Goldmember
2,580 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 05, 2011 08:27 |  #284

rishu_pepper wrote in post #11780667 (external link)

Do your self a favor and buy one of these hotshoes.
http://www.flashzebra.​com/products/0126/inde​x.shtml (external link)
This puts an end to "What cord do I need". Slide the flash into this shoe, plug the cord into your trigger and start shooting. The PC connector is the worst thing ever invented. They never want to maintain contact when you need them to.

mabviper
54 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Feb 05, 2011 09:44 |  #285

Rivest wrote in post #11773165 (external link)
The saddest part about the Yn-560 is this. I cannot make it work with the wireless flash function of the 60D. I can trigger it using the optical sensor but it is slightly out of sync (a tad slower) so it's flash doesn't appear in the picture. So I have to rely on my Rf-602 if I want to use both flash at the same time.

That's the negative part I found. This and it's durability/life span, which doesn't inpisre me confidance since my first broke 2 months after I got it :(

Unfortunately, the yn560 can't work with any sort of wireless ettl. It wasn't programmed to filter out the multiple light bursts you get from wireless ettl.

7D | 15-85mm IS | 30mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 580EX II | 430EX II | YN-560

sponsored links

134,848 views & 0 likes for this thread
Yongnuo YN-560
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.