Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 01 Feb 2011 (Tuesday) 18:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Portrait Professional Studio 9

Shooting
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 01, 2011 18:14 |  #1

Don't know if this question belongs here for software but here it goes. Having a big problem with the program shutting down. As soon as I start using the sliders for different effects it just quits working. I tried different compatibility modes and even the one customer service suggestion doesn't work. A friend of mine downloaded the trial version and even that shuts down. I am running Windows 7 and he is running Vista Business. We both have 4 gig of RAM so memory isn't the problem. The older version 6.3.5 of the program works perfect. Anyone know of a fix?

Thanks.

sponsored links
DisrupTer911
Goldmember
2,452 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 01, 2011 19:56 |  #2

Did you download & install the 64bit version?

Or are you on 32bit 7 & vista? 4GB of ram & 32bit OS don't play well.

www.vividemotionphotograph​y.comexternal link

karobinson
Goldmember
1,236 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 01, 2011 19:59 |  #3

I agree with DisrupTer all the way....make sure you get the 32bit vs 64bit thing straight.

Ann Robinson:)
My Gear: bunch of stuff;....some I love ... some I hate ... some I can't live without..loving my 5d3...

Shooting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 01, 2011 20:00 |  #4

[QUOTE=DisrupTer911;11​759486]Did you download & install the 64bit version?

Or are you on 32bit 7 & vista? 4GB of ram & 32bit OS don't play well.[/quote

Using the 32bit 7 4gb of ram. I didn't see a 64bit version. My 64bit versions of stuff I do have do not work well at all. Well the 64bit CS5 and it's plugins.

Portrait Professional 6.3.5 works great and Studio 8 worked, 9 is the culprit somewhere.

Shooting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 01, 2011 20:02 as a reply to  @ Shooting's post |  #5

Program works fine until I start using the sliders..the touch up brushes all work fine..it is the sliders that shut it down..specifically the eye sliders..other sliders do it until I use them real slow..they take about a second or two to work but when I get to the eye slider it shuts the program right down.

I have a 64 bit system of Windows 7. I only use CS5 32 bit part because my favorite photoshop plugins are all 32 bit. My friend has Vista Business 32 bit and when we start the sliders on both systems it shuts down.

I have removed all start up services that are unneeded from bootup RAM freeing up as much as possible, all to no avail.

golfecho
(I will regret that)
2,049 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 02, 2011 09:10 |  #6

Shooting wrote in post #11759526 (external link)
Program works fine until I start using the sliders..the touch up brushes all work fine..it is the sliders that shut it down..specifically the eye sliders..other sliders do it until I use them real slow..they take about a second or two to work but when I get to the eye slider it shuts the program right down.

I have a 64 bit system of Windows 7. I only use CS5 32 bit part because my favorite photoshop plugins are all 32 bit. My friend has Vista Business 32 bit and when we start the sliders on both systems it shuts down.

I have removed all start up services that are unneeded from bootup RAM freeing up as much as possible, all to no avail.

Sounds like a bug in the software (coding). Have you visited the vendor web site, and looked under FAQs? Have you filed a compatibility complaint with the vendor? Could be they need a update patch.

Facebook (external link) or Website (external link)

Shooting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 02, 2011 12:30 |  #7

golfecho wrote in post #11762261 (external link)
Sounds like a bug in the software (coding). Have you visited the vendor web site, and looked under FAQs? Have you filed a compatibility complaint with the vendor? Could be they need a update patch.

The only thing I saw in their FAQ's was version 6.3 crashing the same way mine does...I did their suggestion though and nothing changed.

I just increased my virtual memory to an unheard of amount and no change.

Shooting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 03, 2011 10:53 as a reply to  @ Shooting's post |  #8

Last night I just purchased Portrait Professional 10 and at 39.95 it is working fantastic and what a deal. I just need it to work on 2 computers when I have multiple weddings to process..that is my next question..

ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
10,884 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Feb 03, 2011 15:01 as a reply to  @ Shooting's post |  #9

I run on both my laptop and desktop using Win7 and have not had any problems. There has to be something in your system that is causing this. Only once have I had to contact their support and they were very responsive. I would think that would be a good starting point.

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Gallery (external link) | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

Shooting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 03, 2011 20:59 |  #10

ssim wrote in post #11770951 (external link)
I run on both my laptop and desktop using Win7 and have not had any problems. There has to be something in your system that is causing this. Only once have I had to contact their support and they were very responsive. I would think that would be a good starting point.

I tried their support and got nowhere. All they talked about was changing virtual memory, etc all which did nothing. Have no idea what it would be..it runs good when using the brush but when I start with the sliders it just shuts off. Even my friend who is using the demo with Vista can't run it. It shuts down at the same place mine does.

-g-
Horribly disfigured but learning to cope
12,517 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Feb 03, 2011 22:35 as a reply to  @ Shooting's post |  #11

Shooting wrote in post #11769567 (external link)
Last night I just purchased Portrait Professional 10 and at 39.95 it is working fantastic and what a deal. I just need it to work on 2 computers when I have multiple weddings to process..that is my next question..

ssim wrote in post #11770951 (external link)
I run on both my laptop and desktop using Win7

I downloaded the Mac version and I understood the license was for one machine only. Am I mistaken?

Flickr (external link)--------------- Facebook (external link)--------------- Web (external link)--------------- Twitter (external link)
GENO.CA - Vancouver wedding photographer

Shooting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 04, 2011 14:59 |  #12

geno.ca wrote in post #11773482 (external link)
I downloaded the Mac version and I understood the license was for one machine only. Am I mistaken?

I received an email from their support and they said they understand that some photographers need to use it on a laptop that is mobile and their home pc so my single license can be used on 2 computers at once. I just need to activate it again with the same token number on the other pc.

-g-
Horribly disfigured but learning to cope
12,517 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Feb 04, 2011 15:48 |  #13

Shooting wrote in post #11777434 (external link)
I received an email from their support and they said they understand that some photographers need to use it on a laptop that is mobile and their home pc so my single license can be used on 2 computers at once. I just need to activate it again with the same token number on the other pc.

I should contact them for a copy of that email. Thanks!

Flickr (external link)--------------- Facebook (external link)--------------- Web (external link)--------------- Twitter (external link)
GENO.CA - Vancouver wedding photographer

DisrupTer911
Goldmember
2,452 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 04, 2011 20:41 |  #14

I can almost gurantee that if you pulled a memory module and made it 3.2GB or less and tried the sliders it would work as expected.

www.vividemotionphotograph​y.comexternal link

Shooting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 05, 2011 11:01 |  #15

DisrupTer911 wrote in post #11779418 (external link)
I can almost gurantee that if you pulled a memory module and made it 3.2GB or less and tried the sliders it would work as expected.

Why would less memory work? Trouble is I have a 4gig memory module.

sponsored links

4,434 views & 0 likes for this thread
Portrait Professional Studio 9
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.