Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
Thread started 05 Feb 2011 (Saturday) 11:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Harrier---feedback please!

noahcomet
382 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Feb 05, 2011 11:23 |  #1

Hi,

I've been doing BIF for a little while (formerly on a 1D3, now with the 7D---always with the 400 5.6L). I'm trying to get better, of course, and would appreciate any C&C you can offer. I feel like I've mastered the basics, and now my images are plateauing---I'm amazed at some of the pics I see on this site and want to figure out what it is I'm missing.

Rather than showing you one of my processed images, I've decided to just give it to you straight---this is right out of the camera, RAW converted to JPG with no sharpening, contrast or anything whatsoever. Once processed and sharpened, etc, it looks ok to me (not incredible, but about as good as my images get)---especially once it's been scaled down some. (Perhaps I'll post that version too). But I'm wondering how I can get better RAW images to begin with.

Image data:
Camera Mode: Manual (always; so no exposure comp)
AI Servo mode (slow)
400mm (obviously)
1/2000 sec (and this was a large, slow-moving bird)
f/8
ISO-400

I got several pics of this bird before this one, so the AF tracking had more than ample time to acquire the target---which was the bird's eye, though stopped down to f/8, I figured it would be depth-forgiving anyway.

I did MFA the 400L, but if you think there are focus-issues, please let me know! I'm willing to start over again.

EDIT: I'm cropping the RAW so it's not so massive (no need for all that sky!) Sorry for that.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/noahcomet/

sponsored links
noahcomet
THREAD ­ STARTER
382 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Feb 05, 2011 11:25 |  #2

And here's a crop of my processed, downscaled pic for comparison. Thanks!

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

SteveJa
Goldmember
2,137 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 05, 2011 11:25 |  #3

Zenfolio (external link)
Flickr (external link)
FineArtAmerica (external link)

komar89
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Feb 05, 2011 11:32 |  #4

In first photo I was looking for a bird for 5 minutes :D

noahcomet
THREAD ­ STARTER
382 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Feb 05, 2011 11:33 |  #5

Sorry Steve---you probably caught me just as I was cropping the image. It was obnoxiously huge! Hence Komar's remark :)

hTr
Cream of the Crop
22,453 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Feb 05, 2011 11:41 |  #6

With a bit of PP this could be a really Neat Image but The Noise Really Detracts from the Image!!

gary

noahcomet
THREAD ­ STARTER
382 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Feb 05, 2011 11:56 |  #7

Agree---and my noise reduction PP skills leave everything to be desired (still learning). As I've posted elsewhere, this is where the 1D3 totally annihilates the 7D. Yes the 7D gives you almost twice the resolution, but the noise at ISO-400 is so much higher, you end up having to scale down to nearly 10MP (the 1D3's resolution) just to get comparably satisfying images. Still, though, I don't regret making the switch---I like the added reach, and at lower ISOs it's very good.

With this image I suppose I could have gone f/7.1 and 1/1600 and dropped the ISO to 200. But I don't think the noise is primarily what's off about this image, is it?

noahcomet
THREAD ­ STARTER
382 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Feb 05, 2011 14:23 |  #8

Thank you Gary----it's so much less noisy than mine. Can I ask how you did this? (In a nutshell, anyway.)

And as for my OP---anyone have thoughts on the RAW image? Does the softness appear to be operator error, hardware issues or just the noisy nature of the 7D? Comments much appreciated.

Mtn ­ Breeze
Goldmember
1,455 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Feb 05, 2011 15:49 as a reply to  @ noahcomet's post |  #9

Hi Noah,

Here's another attempt ...... very slight brightness, contrast and sharpening and a crop and that's it. Sharpens up ok I think ??

Matt.

Oh, forgot ... and put through Neat Image.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

- 7D & battery grip, 40D & battery grip, 17-55mm 2.8, 100-400mm L IS USM, Manfrotto 055 & 488 RC2, 3 (55mm) ext tubes.
- Powershot A540 and underwater housing.

www.wildnaturenewzeala​nd.co.nz (external link)

noahcomet
THREAD ­ STARTER
382 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Feb 05, 2011 16:09 |  #10

OK, that's amazing. I should just upload all of my RAWs and let you guys process them for me! :)

Neat Image---clearly I'm downloading that as soon as I get home.

Lycomech96
403 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Feb 05, 2011 18:08 |  #11

Do you meant to tell me that you can't get a sharp image out of this camera and lens combo without a session of PP? I still haven't done an MA on my lens yet but I think I should try to.

SteveJa
Goldmember
2,137 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 05, 2011 19:38 |  #12

noahcomet wrote in post #11782180 (external link)
Sorry Steve---you probably caught me just as I was cropping the image. It was obnoxiously huge! Hence Komar's remark :)

Yes it was very big.

It is not that bad of a shot, but I can see what you are getting at... The detail and sharpness does not pop... When looking at the RAW photo the first time I would have to say that maybe you are not getting enough or close enough to the subject. If you are to far away and or cropping to much that will kill the final product. One way to try this out is to go take pictures of something (ducks, birds, animals, dogs whatever) up close that you can get a full frame shot and take your time getting it. An upclose photo that you can take the time with and get a full frame shot should almost always make you say..... now thats a good shot..... try it

Zenfolio (external link)
Flickr (external link)
FineArtAmerica (external link)

noahcomet
THREAD ­ STARTER
382 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Feb 05, 2011 19:55 |  #13

Lycomech96 wrote in post #11784156 (external link)
Do you meant to tell me that you can't get a sharp image out of this camera and lens combo without a session of PP? I still haven't done an MA on my lens yet but I think I should try to.

Exactly---and it's true, if I get closer to the subject, I do get better images. But sometimes I see BIF pictures taken with this lens (with the 7D or other bodies) that are just so darned good---feather-level detail. Perhaps they've been scaled down, though. I'm just wondering if it's possible to get a straight RAW image with this combo that's clean and crisp. The images always leave me a little underwhelmed, and I feel like with 1/1600, it can't be subject/camera motion.

That said, I'm very pleased with the versions others have made---the Mtn Breeze one is pretty much perfect.

sponsored links

1,757 views & 0 likes for this thread
Harrier---feedback please!
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.