Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 14 Jan 2011 (Friday) 13:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New to Oklahoma...

Freedom211
608 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 14, 2011 13:56 |  #1

So long story short, I left Virginia, moved back to California with the wifey and kids to try and rekindle thing with her father. After a 10-15 yr span of not seeing her, well only lasted about a month and things went sour. So we decided to go back to VA, but visited some family here in Oklahoma and decided to give it a shot here.

So the question is we are currently in Harrah/Midwest City area looking for some nice places to go out and shoot if anyone from the local area knows any places or have visited please feel free to share.

http://www.jayhughesph​oto.com (external link)

sponsored links
keosho
"Just a bug in the jar"
154 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jan 14, 2011 23:17 |  #2

Welcome to Oklahoma. If you head southwest on Interstate 44 you'll get to the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge in a little over an hour. Lots of wildlife - Bison, Elk, Longhorn, Eagles, Prairie Dogs, Birds of all kinds, and lots of rocks.

Just before you enter the Refuge is a small town named Medicine Park. It's an old resort town. I think it was recently voted as one of the most interesting small towns in America. It's an artist haven with several little shops that sell locally crafted items. Of course, it's better to look at this in the spring after the weather has warmed up a little, but the buildings are still interesting at this time of year. Also, just a few miles north is a town named Meers. It has an old general store that is now a restaurant where you can get a buffalo burger. It also has a seismograph machine to measure earthquakes that happen in the area.

If you prefer military equipment, Ft Sill is in the same area. You can get on the base with proper ID (driver's license will work fine) and possibly a search of your car. They have several museums with military artifacts, as well as a "cannon walk" with large guns from most eras.

A little closer to you is the Oklahoma City Bombing Memorial. It's right downtown Oklahoma City. It's very moving, and the Museum is worth it as well. Make sure you get a shot of the Survivor Tree and I like the chain link fence (you'll understand when you see it).

Once the weather warms up, I've always enjoyed the kite boarders and sailboat races on Lake Hefner. They can put on a pretty good show sometimes.

I know most of these are a little far from your location, but it could be good for a day trip. Hope you enjoy the area and find it to be a friendly place to live.

Freedom211
THREAD ­ STARTER
608 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 15, 2011 01:49 |  #3

Thanks for the detailed reply. Buffalo burger sounds good. Everything is already a little bit of a drive so I'm pretty use to it I will make sure I check out all that stuff in the spring time. My girls grandfather worked across the street at the federal building from the OKC bombing so we are suppose to head over there soon. But again thanks for the reply and thanks for the warm welcome.

jimmywires
539 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jan 15, 2011 21:19 |  #4

grandpa use to take us to lake texoma

Freedom211
THREAD ­ STARTER
608 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 15, 2011 21:27 |  #5

haha your weird dad your texting me and responding to my threads. I dunno were that is but I'll look it up.

keosho
"Just a bug in the jar"
154 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jan 16, 2011 09:13 |  #6

A few more thoughts...

The University of Oklahoma in Norman has a very pretty campus. The bright red, old style phone booths scattered around are fun to stick family in and get portraits. The architecture is amazing. The campus is mostly deserted on non-game day weekends.

Down I-35 you'll find a town named Davis. They have an attraction called Arbuckle Wilderness that you can drive through and have animals come right up to the car. Kind of an interactive zoo. I haven't been there in a few years, but if you have kids they would probably enjoy it. In the same area is Turner Falls. It's a pretty area, but very busy in the summer.

My wife suggested Bricktown in OKC. If you look around a little you can find everything from high-end new construction to gritty, grafatti covered urban landscapes.

Not sure how good pictures you could get here, but just a little north of you is Arcadia. On the west side of town, along Route 66, there is a place called Pop's. In essence it is a gas station/conv. store. But, Pop's claim to fame is a selection of soda that is unbelievable. It's something to see, and you'll probably find something to buy and try. Take you camera with you because the building is cool and the 50'-75' neon Coke bottle in front is neat.

Freedom211
THREAD ­ STARTER
608 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 16, 2011 21:49 |  #7

Thanks for the suggestions Keosho. I have a bunch to look forward to while I'm here. I appreciate the help.

CountryBoy
"Tired of Goldmember label"
5,168 posts
Joined May 2006

Jan 16, 2011 22:06 |  #8

Here's a site that might help . It's not as active as it once was , but if you post I think someone might help you . http://www.oklahomapho​tographers.net/forums/ (external link)

Here's another site that might help you out. http://www.travelok.co​m/festivals-and-events (external link)

Hi

Freedom211
THREAD ­ STARTER
608 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 16, 2011 22:49 |  #9

Thanks for the links countryboy, I'll deff check them out. Wifey won't be too excited me getting on another forum she thinks I spend too much time on this but a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do haha.

SUB1IM388
Cream of the Crop
8,553 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jan 30, 2011 09:10 as a reply to  @ Freedom211's post |  #10

Hey welcome to Oklahoma! if you into candids or portraits brick town is a really popular place!

DanangMonkey
586 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jul 2010

Feb 03, 2011 08:30 |  #11

Snowstorms!!

Being a Vermont Yankee I enjoy pulling my subcompact car over to photograph yet another Okie with his 4WD Monster Truck in the ditch.

The creative artist seems to be almost the only kind of man that you could never meet on neutral ground. He sees nothing objectively because his own ego is always in the foreground of every picture. - Raymond Chandler

CountryBoy
"Tired of Goldmember label"
5,168 posts
Joined May 2006

Feb 03, 2011 13:16 |  #12

DanangMonkey wrote in post #11768747 (external link)
Snowstorms!!

Being a Vermont Yankee I enjoy pulling my subcompact car over to photograph yet another Okie with his 4WD Monster Truck in the ditch.

Your little subcompact car would never make it down our road :lol: . Mine won't . Right now , I would take one of those 4WD Monster Trucks in a heartbeat . Put some weight in the back and you're good to go.

Hi

DanangMonkey
586 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jul 2010

Feb 04, 2011 05:41 |  #13

CountryBoy wrote in post #11770403 (external link)
Your little subcompact car would never make it down our road :lol: .

Okie roads are a pleasure compared to our Vermont frost-heavened 2 laners, not to mention washboarded 45 degree pitched dirt roads? It's not the vehicle thats the problem: it's drivers with monster trucks and too much testosterone that think that they can ignore the laws of physics.

The creative artist seems to be almost the only kind of man that you could never meet on neutral ground. He sees nothing objectively because his own ego is always in the foreground of every picture. - Raymond Chandler

dano57
793 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 05, 2011 20:27 |  #14

Here is a link to the best 50 landscape photography locations as rated by Oklahoma Today;

http://www.oklahomatod​ay.com …50LandscapeLoca​tions.aspx (external link)

Hope this helps and welcome to the Sooner State!

Dan - Central Oklahoma
www.imagesbywest.net (external link)
www.classychassisphoto​.com (external link)
http://www.facebook.co​m/ClassyChassisPhoto (external link)

dangles
315 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 06, 2011 10:08 |  #15

Here are some more places to look at: Lake Keystone Dam, Ft. Gibson Dam, Canton Lake Dam and Hackberry Flats for lots of birds especially eagles. There is the Sacred Heart Mission in Asher, OK that has old building dating back to 1872. There is the Great Salt Plains NWR in Cherokee. There are lots more places if your interested you can reply back.

Duane
Oklahoma City, OK
http://www.Duane-Angles-Images.com (external link)
Gear List

sponsored links

2,301 views & 0 likes for this thread
New to Oklahoma...
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.