Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 07 Feb 2011 (Monday) 08:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Manfrotto Expan Background System Questions

Athena
Must stop thinking
9,581 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 07, 2011 08:04 |  #1

1. How do you get the the paper counter weight on??  ??? I have had no luck with it at all. After quite a while trying I just put the whole bar on top of the bottom edge of the paper and walked away.

And

2. How do you keep the paper from unrolling? I just switched to the expan system and while the roll itself doesn't turn, the paper unrolls partially by it's own weight. When I used a stand and bar, I just clamped it, but with the expan system I can't put a clamp inside the roll because the expan is in there.

Help?

www.athenacarey.com

sponsored links
MrScott
243 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Feb 07, 2011 09:17 |  #2

Tighten the small twisty knob on the non-chain side. Don't make it too tight or you can't adjust it with the plastic chain.

MrScott
243 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Feb 07, 2011 09:27 |  #3

FYI - the counter weight has a plastic shapped "c" that holds the paper on the bar. i.e. Bar, paper, plastic (snaps on). If you want to clean the edge, use a razor after the paper is locked in.

I've started using a piece of hardwood shoe moulding with a sticky magnet along the back edge. On finished floor, you can change the "wall / seamless" color and have a finished edge with the shoe moulding... Something to think about cause the bar is "not" finished.

Athena
THREAD ­ STARTER
Must stop thinking
9,581 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 07, 2011 09:37 |  #4

MrScott wrote in post #11793781 (external link)
Tighten the small twisty knob on the non-chain side. Don't make it too tight or you can't adjust it with the plastic chain.

It's not the roll that is actually turning to unroll the paper - the paper is poofing out and unrolling itself off the stationary roll. For the life of me I can't figure out how to make it stop. I wonder if putting the weight at the bottom would stop it. I'm headed downstairs now to try again with the weight. I didn't realise the plastic part can come off. Thanks! :)

PS: I was also wondering how I was going to attach a strip of moulding to the paper to use with my cool new faux wooden floor. Thanks for the magnet idea too. :)

www.athenacarey.com

The ­ Loft ­ Studios
Goldmember
1,072 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 07, 2011 09:40 |  #5

Athena wrote in post #11793900 (external link)
.....the paper is poofing out and unrolling itself off the stationary roll. For the life of me I can't figure out how to make it stop.

tape or a clamp.....

MARK

Athena
THREAD ­ STARTER
Must stop thinking
9,581 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 07, 2011 09:41 |  #6

The Loft Studios wrote in post #11793920 (external link)
tape or a clamp.....

a really big clamp that goes all the way around the roll?

www.athenacarey.com

The ­ Loft ­ Studios
Goldmember
1,072 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 07, 2011 09:56 as a reply to  @ Athena's post |  #7

nope.....
Just a small or medium sized "A" clamp, just to keep the paper from turning.
Clamp one part of the clamp on the inside part of the roll and the other part of the clamp on the outside part of the roll.
Just like you see pictured in the upper right.....
Although in this example, the paper is already rolled out..... the same technique would apply when the paper is rolled up.
And actually, a clamp on each side would be even better.....

IMAGE: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Bf48JKOl5HQ/TI0Gffzl0KI/AAAAAAAABwo/q4gPoPEQvaQ/s1600/BG_6236.jpg

MARK

Athena
THREAD ­ STARTER
Must stop thinking
9,581 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 07, 2011 10:27 |  #8

That is exactly how I used to do it when I had the paper on stands with a background pole through the center of the roll. But I have the expan system now and it fills the inside of the roll up on the ends, so I can't clip it like that anymore. :(

www.athenacarey.com

MrScott
243 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Feb 08, 2011 00:07 |  #9

Athena wrote in post #11793900 (external link)
It's not the roll that is actually turning to unroll the paper - the paper is poofing out and unrolling itself off the stationary roll. For the life of me I can't figure out how to make it stop. I wonder if putting the weight at the bottom would stop it.

So you're saying that the expan is locked down tight, but the paper is unrolling itself a few times and hanging down a foot or so?

If yes, you'll need to weight the roll or tape it as Loft recommends. I would hesitate in weighting the roll mounted horizontally bc it will develop creases in the paper that look like poo after a few months or quicker in a humid local. For long term storage, you need to tape it tight and stand it vertically. These help, if you've got a 9'+ ceiling...

Savage TPC12 - Background Paper Roll Storage Rack (external link)

IMAGE: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/largeimages/486558.jpg

Athena
THREAD ­ STARTER
Must stop thinking
9,581 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 08, 2011 02:16 |  #10

Yes, that is exactly what is happening. But you know what? After I got that bloody counterweight attached to the bottom last night it wasn't happening anymore. So the answer to #2 was to figure out #1. So thanks again for that. :D Now I just need to do it for the other two rolls and I'm set. For now they are still taped up.

We have a very, very dry climate here. Terrible for my skin, but I guess great for the paper rolls.

I love that storage idea. I'd love even more to have 9' ceilings. I'm afraid I'm stuck with 8' and just barely even that. But I'll keep it in mind for one day... :)

www.athenacarey.com

sponsored links

5,121 views & 0 likes for this thread
Manfrotto Expan Background System Questions
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.