Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
Thread started 22 Jan 2011 (Saturday) 11:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

$1 Million Photo??

grendel64
Goldmember
1,387 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Feb 06, 2011 11:16 |  #16

Art is too subjective to truly quantify. Personally, my first thought on reading the first post was "good for him!". The image may not work for everyone but obviously someone liked it so congrats to the photog. And if it was a set up sale for publicity, well, it worked, so again, good for him. Just my HO, of course....
Mike

www.northwoodsphotogra​phy.ca (external link)

sponsored links
johnny_boy
75 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Feb 08, 2011 00:40 |  #17

Apparently he has made about $150 million in selling his limited prints. Assuming each were sold around $10K-40K range for limited edition quantity of 50, then selling only one image with 1 million price tag seems reasonable. You get the exclusivity.

It is great to see a nature and landscape photographer making great money! Usually they are the worst in income by photogs. We really should not get jealous but congratulate him on his success.

Legato
150 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 10, 2011 10:56 |  #18

Im really curious as to the person that is fine with buying a Photo for 1 million

dgsphoto
421 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 11, 2011 16:44 |  #19

august23 wrote in post #11772818 (external link)
All you really have to do to get loaded is take an abstract picture (this can be taken with a little P&S camera), and then give some deep mysterious meaning to it when you explain it to the billionaire art collectors, and BAM! Instant millionaire.

Not to belittle the abilities of Mr. Lik as he is definitely a better photographer than I am! But on the art collectors point +1

Here's a photo that I have a copyright to. What's unique about this photo is that it's taken without a camera ;)

IMAGE: http://i55.tinypic.com/jilyqd.jpg

And it also has a very deep meaning, multiple actually, to it!
* Human mind (the point) imprisoned by the materialistic world!
* A soul that cannot leave the body!
* A body that cannot let go of the soul!
* Life, Bound!
* Life, Within!
* A violent storm....contained!
* blah, blah, blah.

Wait, isn't that just a black dot within a black square drawn using Microsoft Paint???
Ummm....yeah! But that doesn't fetch millions. :rolleyes:

Milutiche
819 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Feb 11, 2011 16:46 |  #20

I would be a nice pic if atleast one part of it was in focus.

www.actionimages.net.n​z
Gear List
Sports Photos on Facebook (external link)
Sports Photos on Instagram (external link)

Robert ­ Zurfluh
364 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 12, 2011 21:03 as a reply to  @ Milutiche's post |  #21

I love that photo....would have paid ~ $100,- for it, really.

Wait....let me go to NH in the fall and take a similar shot that I took and I am happy with. :)

Hey someone facebooked me today who wants to buy a picture of mine. I was gonna give it to her at cost....but now I am thinking...

Canon5DRS,Canon7DII,EF16-35L,EF24-70IIL,EF50L,EF100LMacro,EF135L

nonick
Goldmember
1,588 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 14, 2011 23:32 |  #22

Lovely picture but $1 million... it's not worth it.

Gear|Searching for 7DII, Buying 5DIII 35L II, 24-70 2.8L IS

Phrasikleia
Goldmember
1,828 posts
Joined May 2008

Feb 15, 2011 20:45 |  #23

Sure, why not? It's striking piece by an accomplished artist, and it's one-of-a-kind. I'll bet it looks great printed out at a monumental size, framed tastefully, and displayed in a finely appointed home. And someday it will look great on the wall of whichever museum the owner chooses to bequeath it to.

Photography by Erin Babnik (external link) | Newsletter (external link) | Photo Cascadia Team Member (external link) | Facebook (external link)

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,341 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 15, 2011 21:00 |  #24

At first I thought I would NEVER in a MILLION YEARS pay a million dollars for a photograph but I started thinking... I guess if it's presented right (nice frame, nice size, etc). But if someone bought a digital file... I don't know. Maybe that's worth a million too. If you own the file then you own the rights. blah, blah, blah... If I could sell a file for a million then I probably would.

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,341 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 15, 2011 21:06 |  #25

johnf3f wrote in post #11765398 (external link)
On the link it looked way over saturated and false to me, but that's just my opinion and I don't have a million dollars ( or a million of anything else for that matter!).

If you look at his web site, a lot of his photos are over saturated but if someone wants that look in their home then it will sell. And, as I stated in my earlier post, if it's presented well then it may just sell for a boat load of money. I wish I could figure out his marketing technique and be able to sell a couple of my photos for... heck $100,000 a piece would get me headed in the right direction. :)

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

sparker1
Cream of the Crop
29,316 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Feb 20, 2011 14:18 |  #26

Heck, I made one almost exactly like it, but tossed it since I didn't care for it.

Stan (See my gallery at http://www.pbase.com/s​parker1 (external link))

7D, 50D, 300D, EF-S 10-22 mm, EF-S 18-55 mm kit lens, EF 24-105 L IS, EF 50 mm 1.8, Sigma 150-500mm (Bigmos)

Martin.D
Goldmember
2,460 posts
Gallery: 150 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 22, 2011 07:14 |  #27

sparker1 wrote in post #11879763 (external link)
Heck, I made one almost exactly like it, but tossed it since I didn't care for it.

Time to go dig it out and compare!

Web Site (external link)
Facebook (external link)
Instagram (external link)
Flickr (external link)
Canon 5D Mark IV + Canon 90D + Glass

Naturalist
Adrift on a lonely vast sea
5,636 posts
Gallery: 94 photos
Joined May 2007

Feb 22, 2011 07:29 |  #28

Good for Peter Lik. I think its great that he was able to get this price.
Just think, he could have placed this with a microstock and got .25 cents per upload.

Doug
http://www.douglasbrow​nsr.com (external link)
Entered: 2-16-84 Passed: 5-22-84 Raised: 6-19-84

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,341 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 22, 2011 08:08 |  #29

Naturalist wrote in post #11890864 (external link)
Good for Peter Lik. I think its great that he was able to get this price.
Just think, he could have placed this with a microstock and got .25 cents per upload.

That'd be my luck. I'd post something on Shutterstock that could make some real money but I'd be happy if I could make $50 on a stock photo site with it. :eek:

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 22, 2011 08:24 |  #30

It is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it, just like anything else.

Best guess, photog is good, and lucky. The luck means her/his photo found a home with a very wealthy person. The way the world works these days, I wonder what the prior relationship between the parties actually is.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

sponsored links

8,167 views & 0 likes for this thread
$1 Million Photo??
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.