Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 08 Feb 2011 (Tuesday) 17:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Do I REALLY need to upgrade to something better than my Rebel XS?

ted.danson
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Feb 08, 2011 17:13 |  #1

I have been shooting for the last 5 months with this Rebel XS and I'm pretty comfortable hanging in Manual mode for 99% of my shots nowadays. In addition to the kit lens, I've invested in a 50mm and a 11-16mm ultra-wide. Is it now time to upgrade the body?

So what am I really missing out on with the higher end models? The obvious one is a higher ISO. The majority of my shots are rarely over 800 ISO but I've seen my friends' super high ISO shots in low light and I'm a bit jealous that they can hand hold shots indoors without using tripods and not having to increase SS.

Another obvious disadvantage I'm at with my body is a lower resolution and that's pretty self explanatory when your talking about blowing up or printing past 11x14, right?

So to those that have upgraded from a lower end to higher models such as the T2i, 60D or even the 7D, did it completely change your world?

Canon Rebel XS:oops:|Canon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6|Canon 50mm f/1.8|Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8|430exii|Yongnuo RF-602

sponsored links
Woodworker
Goldmember
2,176 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Feb 08, 2011 17:23 |  #2

Welcome to POTN. Why not post some of your images so that the experts here can tell you whether you need to upgrade your gear or your technique?

Also, have you read through some of the threads in this forum? If you do, you'll find many threads posted by members who are thinking about upgrading.

David

David

kyballer14
159 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 08, 2011 17:39 |  #3

ted.danson wrote in post #11803993 (external link)
I have been shooting for the last 5 months with this Rebel XS and I'm pretty comfortable hanging in Manual mode for 99% of my shots nowadays. In addition to the kit lens, I've invested in a 50mm and a 11-16mm ultra-wide. Is it now time to upgrade the body?

So what am I really missing out on with the higher end models? The obvious one is a higher ISO. The majority of my shots are rarely over 800 ISO but I've seen my friends' super high ISO shots in low light and I'm a bit jealous that they can hand hold shots indoors without using tripods and not having to increase SS.

Another obvious disadvantage I'm at with my body is a lower resolution and that's pretty self explanatory when your talking about blowing up or printing past 11x14, right?

So to those that have upgraded from a lower end to higher models such as the T2i, 60D or even the 7D, did it completely change your world?

Looks like if you want to get better low light shots, you should consider going to the canon 17-55mm 2.8 lens. You can get some low light shots without up-ing the ISO.

If the canon is out of your price range i think sigma has on pretty close to that.

Virto
Goldmember
1,647 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 08, 2011 17:40 |  #4

I'd keep it, and what's with the embarrassed face in your sig? Lol, the XS is nothing to be ashamed of...just ask the people in the XS/1000D thread.

Like woodworker suggested, you might want to post of images that are typical of your shooting. There might be some things a new body could do better, but depending on your typical shots, you may see little to no difference.

Kelly - EOS 5D - EOS 40D - Rebel XS - EOS 10D - EOS 1D - SX230 - AE-1 - OM-1n - Minolta Himatic7 - EOS-1N
ABR800 - Several flashes, remote triggers, stands, too many and yet not enough lenses

ni$mo350
Cream of the Crop
6,011 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Feb 08, 2011 17:59 |  #5

The XS can hold it's own. I too suggest the 17-55 to replace the kit lens. If I were still on a crop body, that would be one of my favorite lenses.

-Chris-Website (external link)|| (external link)Facebook (external link)|| My Flickr (external link)|| Follow me!!! 500px (external link) || (external link) 5D mkii || 35L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS MKII || My bank account hates you all :cry:

AskedForIt
48 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Feb 08, 2011 18:04 |  #6

I got a Rebel Xti for those occasions when I do not want/need a 1Ds II or 7d. I have no problems with its performance.

Do you need to shoot over iso 800 or print larger than 11x14? If it is working out for you and you have money burning a hole in your pocket, go with a new lens or tripod, etc.

yourdoinitwrong
Goldmember
2,394 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Feb 08, 2011 18:08 as a reply to  @ ni$mo350's post |  #7

If the limitations of ISO and resolution are currently an issue for you then MAYBE you need to upgrade. However, if they fall into the "nice to have" category then probably not. It is always difficult to separate the want from the need. Sure there are advantages to some of the newer bodies, but only you can determine the cost/benefit ratio based on what you currently shoot. The T2i/T3i/60D would certainly address your two issues without having to go to something much more expensive like a 7D.

5D4 w/BG-E20, 24-105 f/4L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 35 f/1.4L, 85 f/1.8, 100 f/2.8L IS Macro, Sigma 50 f/1.4
Full List

DelAllenGreenwood
435 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Feb 08, 2011 18:16 as a reply to  @ AskedForIt's post |  #8

kyballer14 wrote in post #11804139 (external link)
Looks like if you want to get better low light shots, you should consider going to the canon 17-55mm 2.8 lens. You can get some low light shots without up-ing the ISO.

If the canon is out of your price range i think sigma has on pretty close to that.

ni$mo350 wrote in post #11804272 (external link)
The XS can hold it's own. I too suggest the 17-55 to replace the kit lens. If I were still on a crop body, that would be one of my favorite lenses.

I'd agree with these guys. Take your time and figure out what camera fits your needs. Keep your present camera as a back up.
Del

My Pictures @ flickr (external link)

TonyG
124 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Feb 08, 2011 18:34 |  #9

I upgraded from a XS to a 7D. I had already upgraded some of my glass, with the 70-200 f/4 IS, and I still was looking for more than the camera could deliver.

Specifically, shooting my son playing hockey, I needed something with better AF, as well as a higher FPS, and the 7D was it. I looked at the 60D as well, but the 7D just fit my hands better.

So in short, did it completely change my world? Yes. But I went into the purchase with my mind set on what I wanted to shoot well, and what the XS couldn't do for that.

If you don't have a clear goal about what the XS can't do for you, going out and spending a boatload of cash on a new body isn't going to satisfy you in the long run. Glass is a much better investment.

Tony | Gear List/Feedback

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,436 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 08, 2011 18:39 |  #10

My 'standard' recommendation is upgrade the body when there is something you find limiting or unavailable that is remedied by a new body; otherwise, work on technique. Same would go for new glass...if it is something that your current glass simply won't do (or combinations of features, etc), then upgrade. Otherwise, it's just money going out that could be spent elsewhere.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

greenjeans
Goldmember
2,082 posts
Gallery: 265 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Feb 08, 2011 18:46 |  #11

I've had my XS for about 8 months and haven't really thought about a new body. I will be looking at better glass before body. The XS is very capable of great pictures.

Gripped 6D, gripped 6D2, gripped 70D, 80D, 24-105 F4L, 50mm 1.8 STM, 55-250mm, 18-135mm, 60mm EF-S macro, 70-200 F4L IS, 400mm F5.6L, 18-55mm IS STM, Canon 85mm 1.8, Sigma 150-600mm C., Sigma 100-400mm C, Samyang 8mm 3.5 fisheye, Sunpak DF3600U Flash (2)

Woodworker
Goldmember
2,176 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Feb 08, 2011 18:52 as a reply to  @ greenjeans's post |  #12

Ted,

Have you come to any conclusions since posting your previous thread four weeks' ago?

https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=11600562#po​st11600562

You haven't been back since except to start this thread and it's to be hoped you won't wait another four weeks before joining in with the debate.

David

David

Michael_B
817 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Feb 08, 2011 19:48 |  #13

first time you hold a 50D or a 7D, and rattle off 6.3 or 8 fps, ..youll grin..and say "sold!" quietly to yourself...or to your wife who will stare at you and roll her eyes.

My Gallery (external link)

50D, 18-55 IS, 70-200 f4L[COLOR=black], 430EX II, BG-E2N, 200-400 IS USM L w/1.4x..thats right, getting ready.

JustinRageth
636 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 08, 2011 19:58 |  #14

Michael_B wrote in post #11804909 (external link)
first time you hold a 50D or a 7D, and rattle off 6.3 or 8 fps, ..youll grin..and say "sold!" quietly to yourself...or to your wife who will stare at you and roll her eyes.

And expect a purse or shoes coming her way

T4i Gripped, Sigma 17-70mm, 70-200 f/4L, 50mm 1.8
Panasonic TZ5
Flicker (external link)

DinosaurioAllie
525 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 08, 2011 20:14 |  #15

Why would you upgrade your camera body?
You've only had it for 5 months.
If you feel it's lacking in some way, then upgrade.
If not, you have no need to upgrade.

Get better glass.

Canon 7D | Canon 100mm f/2.8 | Canon 40mm f/2.8 | Mamiya RB67 | Mamiya Sekor 90mm f/3.8 | http://www.flickr.com/​mosbeckphotography (external link)
"There's a common misconception that all photographers want to photograph famous people, to be a paparazzi. To me that's like selling my soul. My photographs give thanks to people who have helped me out. Thats not selling my soul, that's gaining it." -Bob Campagna

sponsored links

2,170 views & 0 likes for this thread
Do I REALLY need to upgrade to something better than my Rebel XS?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.