Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 09 Feb 2011 (Wednesday) 00:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Saturation/Processing feedback pls

FrankfurtDave
61 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 09, 2011 00:18 |  #1

Hi All,

Hoping people could give me some feedback on the processing of these two HDR's. I always try to keep them from looking too HDR. I can't decide on my calibrated monitor whether i have gone too far.

1. Old Bridge in Wetzlar

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

2. Marina in Frankfurt
IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Obviously all C&C on all topics greatfully received.

Thanks alot,

Dave

Canon 1D MK IV | Zeiss ZE 21 | Canon 24-105 | Canon 50L | Canon 100 Macro L | Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II | Canon 300 2.8 IS |
www.frankfurtphotograp​hy.com (external link)
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/frankfurtdave/ (external link)

sponsored links
NickRadford
107 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 09, 2011 01:01 |  #2

the top photo is spot on, really great.

)Now this is just me) but i feel like the HDR could be pulled back a tad on the 2nd one. :)

Nick-Radford.com (external link)

argyle
Cream of the Crop
8,187 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Feb 09, 2011 06:22 as a reply to  @ NickRadford's post |  #3

First one looks good, but on my monitor I see the faint traces of haloing around the treetops. Like I said, they're faint but still noticeable. Other than that, its a good HDR rendition...much better that what's typically posted as HDR.

As far as the second image goes, I'd agree with pulling back slightly on the processing (granted, its all subjective anyway).

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son". - Dean Wormer

GEAR LIST

Ed ­ Harp
606 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 09, 2011 07:49 |  #4

I like the first one, on my monitor it looks saturated, but not overly so; wouldn't want to add any though. The One of the potential problems with HDR is actually using that process when in fact PP on a single capture would produce better results. What I see in the 2nd shot is too narrow of a dynamic range; I think you would have done fine without HDR here, or you might have tried a different HDR profile. Photomatix has several HDR profiles letting you choose your most desired effect.
It's interesting that both images have similar compositional lines.

Canon 5D Classic, 30D, 50D, (all gripped) Ef 50mm f/1.4, EF-S 10-22mm, EF 17-40mm F/4 L, EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS, EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II, EF 300mm f/4 L IS, 1.4x ii TC, Canon 500D, Smith-Victor CF300 Carbon Fiber Tripod,BH5 ball head, Manfrotto Neotec Tripod, Manfrotto 322RC2 head

Spike44
Goldmember
2,155 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Feb 09, 2011 08:22 |  #5

Processing is quite good on the first.
You could go in and burn in more detail under the bridge left side and under the house. Your RAW should have this detail so alternatively, you could mask it in.
The 2nd needs local contrast big time otherwise is good.....you are approaching a blown highlight on the left sky.
If you don't like the over-HDRI, I agree with the others that you could have achieved the same/better with a single RAW.

EDIT: For comment below - LOCAL contrast people...not just contrast...there is a difference.

cyclekraft
20 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 09, 2011 09:46 |  #6

I like both. Both are the type of HDR I prefer, which is not the "clown puke" variety. I actually like image #2 better for it's low contrast. I feel the softer colors lend to the overall mood of the image. More contast would change its feeling, IMO. Good work!

Crystal ­ W ­ Photography
500 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 09, 2011 10:04 |  #7

1. Good job. Doesn't even look HDR
2. Looks HDR, but still a good photo. I think it's a little too dark, but I love the colors in the clouds.

Crystal
www.crystalwightman.co​m (external link)
Add me on Facebook (external link)

FrankfurtDave
THREAD ­ STARTER
61 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 09, 2011 10:38 |  #8

Thanks for all the great feedback, is interesting to see the different opinions and views.

For me it was always the 2nd image that I was more concerned about and that seems to be the concensus here. When I get home I will try again with a little HDR and also the straightforward RAW conversion.

The idea of the burns on the 1st image sounds good as well as I know the original post HDR was a little lacking in detail in certain places.

Again thanks for the opinions/advice so far :-))

Canon 1D MK IV | Zeiss ZE 21 | Canon 24-105 | Canon 50L | Canon 100 Macro L | Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II | Canon 300 2.8 IS |
www.frankfurtphotograp​hy.com (external link)
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/frankfurtdave/ (external link)

Zebedee123
240 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Feb 09, 2011 10:38 |  #9

I really like both images compositionally. Love the colours in the first too - but the haloing around the trees would annoy me if it were mine. The second one just seems a bit flat - but again it's going to be a great image!

http://www.paulabeaumo​ntphotography.co.uk/ (external link)http://www.facebook.co​m/paulabeaumontphotogr​aphy (external link)
Canon 5D Mk III II Canon 5D II II Sigma macro 105mm II Tamron 24-70mm 2.8f VC II Canon 70x200mm L F2.8 Mk II II Canon 50mm F1.8 II tripods, lots of bags, flashes strobes, pocket wizards and lots of other "stuff" II

corkneyfonz
Goldmember
2,477 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 09, 2011 11:52 |  #10

What I find irritating is the apartment buildings on the left of the second image as it's very halo like. I'd be tempted just to clone this area with the darker sky. Other than my wanting to add a small curves and levels adj, these are both of a very high standard.

My Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

1,177 views & 0 likes for this thread
Saturation/Processing feedback pls
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.