Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 27 Jan 2011 (Thursday) 20:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Best prime for indoor

coirchlid
384 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jan 27, 2011 23:37 |  #16

For family/friends house parties I will use my EF 50/1.4 (I have a 7D). 50mm is a little to long for me in the average house, but it's great outdoors for leaving some space between me and my subjects. I've found 24mm (giving a 38.4 35mm FOV equivalent) to be a great focal length for use in rooms. For this particular purpose 24mm on full frame would be too wide for me (like 15mm on crop). I would usually like to include some of the environment surrounding my subject. The wideness and deeper DOF of the shorter focal length can help with this. Since I don't have anything wider than 50 for my SLR right right now, my G12 comes in when wide is needed. The 24L II is currently #1 on my wish-list. I haven't heard enough good things about the 28/1.8, so I'll save the $500 and be about 1/3 on my way to getting the 24. There's a member who frequently posts pics of his son in the 24/1.4 II sample thread, and his 24II and 7D combination seem just right for that.

-Matt G
Instagram: @garmeleon
Gear
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
TonyG
124 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 27, 2011 23:42 |  #17

All the major options in this category have been listed. The 17-55 is probably the best ($$$) zoom, but for faster, prime's the way to go.

I'll chime in with my experience with the Sigma 30, fantastic lens. Bought primarily to shoot my 2.5 yr old daughter, and my soon (2 weeks-ish??) to be born son. Has been on my 7D pretty much since I got it. The only lens I see displacing it is the 17-55 which I've yet to purchase.

Tony | Gear List/Feedback

ThirdROC
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 27, 2011 23:59 |  #18

Just got the sigma 30 1.4 for that very same reason, shooting my 16month old running around my small apartment. My 85 1.8 and even 50 1.8 were too long on my T2i. The Sigma 30 1.4 is perfect - sharp, focus is great with decent light, build quality is top notch (and it comes with a hood and case).

Only complaint is if I want a tight picture, like a head / head and shoulders shot, I have to get so close that my son can lean forward and touch the front of the lens (I use a UV filter for that reason on all my lenses). I have the 50 and 85 for those type of shots where I can stay out of reach, but that means changing lenses which means losing the moment. I considered a 17-55 2.8 type lens, but the extra couple stops of the 30 is essential for me for indoor. The other downside is the sigma 30 is for crop sensors only, so if you upgrade to FF you can't use it.

One of the reviews out there comments that the sigma 30 1.4 exposed brighter than they expected by about 1/3 of a stop, giving it about a full stop advantage compared to the canon 28 1.8 (2/3 stop + 1/3stop).

T2i | canon 15-85 | canon 55-250 | canon 50 1.8 | sigma 30 1.4

BethanyC
100 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jan 28, 2011 00:19 |  #19

Ditto what everyone else said: I primarily use either my Canon 50mm 1.8 or Sigma 28mm 1.8. Both are great for low lighting (although the sigma isn't sharp at all until about 2.5 so I end up with on/off camera flash). Either way, I have no problem with either one. Being as you have a 60mm, though, I might go for a bit wider than 50 and get something in the 24-35 range.

---Canon 5Dmkii * Canon 5D * 50mm 1.2 * 50mm 2.5 macro * 35f2 * 85mm 1.8 * 430exii * 580exii---
**Bethany Chamberlin (external link)**

lookingforaname
820 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jan 29, 2011 16:50 |  #20

OP - it looks like from your sig you already have the 50 1.8? Do you like the focal length? If so, then the 50 1.4 is WONDERFUL for babies. I have both the 50 1.4 and the Sigma 30, and I like the focal length of the 50 better for individual subjects - but I tend to like the up close look.

June Day Photography - Junedayphoto.com (external link)

britt777
Goldmember
1,142 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Feb 09, 2011 11:49 |  #21

Another vote for the 28mm. I use this on my 1D Mark III.

https://photography-on-the.net …ht=canon+28mm+1​.8&page=70

Brittany
www.shutterprophotogra​phy.com (external link)

gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
13,431 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Feb 09, 2011 11:54 |  #22

Which mm is best for you is going to depend on a few factors like your style/taste in pix, size of the rooms, will you be using flash, etc. Why not rent a Tamron 17-50/2.8 and see how you like it and/or what mm you really need?

GEAR LIST

leahmt47
THREAD ­ STARTER
256 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Feb 11, 2011 18:31 |  #23

I hadn't put my 50mm on the camera for a while. When I did, I did like the focal length because I usually take pics of one or two people not large groups (it seemed pretty wide compared to my 85 which I've been using lately). I do use a flash bounced if I don't have enough light coming in. I picked up the 50mm 1.4 on here and will be selling my nifty 50. Thanks for all the advice. I will still probably pick up a wider prime at some point since I am still lacking that.

5Dmkii, 24-70L T3i, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 60mm 2.8 macro, 430ex II and 580ex II.

icekendi
78 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 12, 2011 01:48 |  #24

For baby picts, I suggest a 24L II for your 40D. 35L if you go full frame. You'lll love that distorted wide angle look for kids!

"The more it stays the same, the less it changes!" - Spinal Tap

F00K33
148 posts
Joined May 2010

Feb 12, 2011 04:47 |  #25

mattjns93 wrote in post #11728380 (external link)
Since you're on crop, an excellent fast and wider prime would be the Sigma 30 1.4, especially for the price. There is also the 35L if you are looking to go full frame or the 24L additionally. If you're looking to not break the bank, and don't intend to full frame soon, I'd say the Sigma 30 1.4 is your lens.

agree

flickr (external link)

sponsored links

4,881 views & 0 likes for this thread
Best prime for indoor
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.