Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 04 Feb 2011 (Friday) 13:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Ouch!!!

karobinson
Goldmember
1,236 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 04, 2011 13:22 |  #1

It happened today... Have read many stories here, as you all tried to prepare me...but nope, it still stung...

Just got off the phone with a client I just sent the contract off too and she said..."Oh I am so sorry but my niece wants to shoot the wedding with her new professional camera....but thanks for all the information on what to make sure we remember."

Ann Robinson:)
My Gear: bunch of stuff;....some I love ... some I hate ... some I can't live without..loving my 5d3...

sponsored links
bbgeekchic
158 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 04, 2011 15:36 |  #2

Thats a big ouch. One that the bride may regret having done. I'm sorry that happened to you.

Life is nothing without the love of a friend

Joe ­ Ravenstein
Goldmember
2,338 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 04, 2011 15:48 as a reply to  @ bbgeekchic's post |  #3

Not to worry, a newbie with the best camera in the world still takes newbie images most likely in green box. The wedding couple will regret it but won't scream up and down at them as they are family.
You might offer to do a post wedding series for them so they have some acceptable images of their day

Canon 60D,18-55mm,55-250mm,50mm compact macro, AF ext tubes. Sigma 8-16mm uwa, 18-250mm, 85mm F1.4, 150-500mm

sam ­ walker
Goldmember
1,932 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Feb 04, 2011 17:39 |  #4

The old advertising arguement comes to mind. Potential clients would proclaim I can write, photograph and produce the ad myself. Me: Gee I wonder aren't you too close to the company-product to be pbjective. That's what I bring to the party. Ad and art experience from other assignments that have taken me years to gain . That's worth something that you never had the time to go after. My favorite was "Can I use my wife as the model? No I pick them from agencies I Like
Sam

We'll rape the horses and ride off on the women
rebel xs 18-55is,55-250is promaster2500 flash

MJPhotos24
Cream of the Crop
5,619 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Feb 04, 2011 18:21 |  #5

Joe Ravenstein wrote in post #11777793 (external link)
Not to worry, a newbie with the best camera in the world still takes newbie images most likely in green box. The wedding couple will regret it but won't scream up and down at them as they are family.
You might offer to do a post wedding series for them so they have some acceptable images of their day

I'd argue the Mark IV is the best camera in the world right now, or at least one of them, and it does not have a green box :) I've done it before where someone wants to try it out quick, you know because it's the CAMERA that does the work, they want to see what the CAMERA can do. I'll throw my settings out of whack (M) and turn it off. You'd be amazed how many can't even turn the thing on let alone know what's wrong with the settings, they look for full auto mode and it doesn't exist.

I'd have to be overly honest with them and say the camera is not what does it, the skill & talent does. If they still say they're using them, oh well - not a client, unless they come back for some post wedding shots to have something worthwhile.

Freelance Photographer & Co-founder of Four Seam Images
Mike Janes Photography (external link) - Four Seam Images LLC (external link)
FSI is a baseball oriented photo agency and official licensee of MiLB/MLB.
@FourSeamImages (instagram/twitter)
@MikeJanesPhotography (instagram)
@MikeJanesPhotog (twitter)

bigrob
Goldmember
1,431 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Feb 09, 2011 16:05 |  #6

karobinson wrote in post #11776858 (external link)
but thanks for all the information on what to make sure we remember."

You must have forgotten the bit where she needed to remember to hire you :cry:.

Does she have a FB page that you could look at and see how the niece works out?

MikeFairbanks
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 09, 2011 16:17 |  #7

Yeah, that's crazy.

Look, I've been taking pictures for two years (every day) and I still stink. The only way I would ever shoot a wedding is if I was a pro's sidekick, doing it for free for the learning experience (knowing that he or she was the fall guy, so-to-speak).

Wedding photography is like plumbing: if you want professional results, hire a professional. Otherwise you're going to have a mess that stinks.

Thank you. bw!

AZAlphaDog
Goldmember
1,750 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 09, 2011 17:38 as a reply to  @ MikeFairbanks's post |  #8

Realize that those people are not the clients you want and move on.

Problem is there are fewer and fewer of the type of clients you do want around.

But, what are you going to do?

DOUG JAMES | PHOTO PRODUCTIONS (external link) | FACEBOOK (external link)

jcpoulin
Goldmember
2,447 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Feb 09, 2011 17:58 |  #9

You get what you pay for....or don't pay for!

1DX , 7D,16-35, 24-70 2.8II, 2.8L II, , 70-200 f2.8LII IS, 300 f2.8L IS, 500 f4 IS, 100-400L, Canon 100 2.8 macro, Canon 1.4X, 580ex, AB800X4
Canon CPS Member, PPA
www.capturingtimephoto​graphy.net (external link)

Svetlana
Goldmember
3,357 posts
Joined May 2008

Feb 09, 2011 19:33 |  #10

I agree she just wasn't your client, so as sad as it is - forget and move on...

I had this happen to me a few times where a newbie shot a wedding for free where I was supposed to shoot it and get paid (actually thank goodness that newbie did a decent job), and a portrait client who hired a cheap photog and was very disappointed with the photos...I don't stress over it, honestly. But I do work on my marketing and pricing, etc...so clients like that don't even contact me in the first place. :)

Canon 7D, 5Dmk2, 70-200mm f/2.8L II IS, Canon 50 1.2L, 35 1.4L, 85 1.8, Canon 16-35L, Canon 100 2.8L IS Macro, Speedlight 580EX II x 2, 430 EX, enthusiasm.:D http://svetlanayanova.​com/ (external link)

Join me on Facebook (external link)! :)

edge100
Goldmember
1,920 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 10, 2011 08:06 |  #11

Just had this happen to me today. It's part of the business.

Street and editorial photography in Toronto, Canada (external link)
Mirrorless: Fujifilm X-Pro1
Film: Leica MP | Leica M2 | CV Nokton 35/1.4 | CV Nokton 40 f/1.4 | Leitz Summitar 50 f/2 | Canon 50 f/1.2 LTM | Mamiya 7 | Mamiya 80 f/4.0 | Mamiya 150 f/4.5 | Mamiya 43 f/4.5
How to get good colour from C-41 film scans (external link)

Digitizing film with a digital camera (external link)

PhotosGuy
Cream of the Crop
75,941 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Feb 10, 2011 09:45 |  #12

"Oh I am so sorry but my niece wants to shoot the wedding with her new professional camera....

I just bought a new frying pan, so can I cater your wedding?

IMAGE: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v196/stubro2000/rofl.gif

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

edge100
Goldmember
1,920 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 10, 2011 09:53 |  #13

PhotosGuy wrote in post #11815081 (external link)
I just bought a new frying pan, so can I cater your wedding?
[GIFS ARE NOT RENDERED IN QUOTES]

This is what it comes down to.

It's strange; I can't think of another field in which people think that simply owning the equipment used by professionals will yield professional results. I mean, I play tennis (I'm an NTRP 4.5-5 level player) and I use a Wilson K.Six-One Tour racquet, but I don't have any illusions that simply playing with the same racquet as Roger Federer will allow me to win Wimbledon 6 times.

Street and editorial photography in Toronto, Canada (external link)
Mirrorless: Fujifilm X-Pro1
Film: Leica MP | Leica M2 | CV Nokton 35/1.4 | CV Nokton 40 f/1.4 | Leitz Summitar 50 f/2 | Canon 50 f/1.2 LTM | Mamiya 7 | Mamiya 80 f/4.0 | Mamiya 150 f/4.5 | Mamiya 43 f/4.5
How to get good colour from C-41 film scans (external link)

Digitizing film with a digital camera (external link)

bbgeekchic
158 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 10, 2011 10:25 |  #14

^^That was great PhotosGuy BAHAHAHAHA

Life is nothing without the love of a friend

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,743 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004

Apr 28, 2011 20:33 |  #15

MikeFairbanks wrote in post #11810689 (external link)
Yeah, that's crazy.

Look, I've been taking pictures for two years (every day) and I still stink. The only way I would ever shoot a wedding is if I was a pro's sidekick, doing it for free for the learning experience (knowing that he or she was the fall guy, so-to-speak).

Wedding photography is like plumbing: if you want professional results, hire a professional. Otherwise you're going to have a mess that stinks.

Big deal, Mike. I been taking pictures for 25 years, and I still stink. And many can attest to that. But I'm damn proud of my stinkiness. :lol:

sponsored links

2,688 views & 0 likes for this thread
Ouch!!!
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.