Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 09 Feb 2011 (Wednesday) 13:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

this HP or imac 27" what would you choose?

tommmy.star
294 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Feb 09, 2011 13:25 |  #1

Hi everybody,

I've been seriously thinking recently about upgrading to a new desktop. I spend more and more time doing photography and my 3 yr old Vaio laptop just can't handle things any more (mostly CS5).

My budget is sth around £1500 - £2000.

My first thought (prior to any research) was 27"iMac with i7 and 8gb ram - £2012
Then I found [/NOPARSE]

http://www.currys.co.u​k …e-590uk-08702358-pdt.html (external link)
It's got i7 2600, 8gb ram, 1.5TB HD and nVIDIA GeForce GT420 with PureVideo®
2GB dedicated memory. All this for £1,099.99 .

How do they compare against each other. Which one has got more power and which one is more future proof?

Another thing is with money left over (if I go for HP) I need to purchase a monitor and I totally dont know wher to look for and what to look for. Do you think I can buy a good monitor for let's say £500-600. I love the iMac 27" display.Can this money buy me something similar?

Or...would you go for something completely different, maybe wait for a new release of iMacs?

any help, advice and suggestions greatly appreciated.

Canon 5DIII |Canon 30mm f2 | Canon 85mm f1.2L |Canon 100mm f2.4L| Canon 70-200mm f2.8II L
London Wedding Photographer (external link)
My 500px.com (external link)

sponsored links
Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,905 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Feb 09, 2011 13:45 |  #2

How much would Dell's 27" display be?

I am not fond of the iMac's glossy display, but otherwise it's perfectly fine for image processing. You cannot upgrade its hard drive easily and with only one drive bay you have to use external FW800 drives for backups (which is fine, but not as convenient). But then again, the iMac's footprint is a lot smaller.

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

TTk
Goldmember
2,518 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Feb 09, 2011 13:54 as a reply to  @ Tony-S's post |  #3

I'v been a PC guy ever since I started with computer,s and after looking around I went here http://www.ebuyer.com/​product/255197 (external link) and got this 27" iMac..at £1934.. and I'm just about to order the other 8GB of ram..;)

Terry.:cool:
http://www.terrykirton.co/ (external link)
http://www.ttkphotogra​phy.com/ (external link)
http://www.langtoftpho​tography.com/ (external link)

(external link)

Damian75
Goldmember
1,623 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 09, 2011 14:14 |  #4

My choice would be the iMac but as with most of these decisions it really comes down to what OS you like. I switched to Mac when OS-X came out and haven't looked back.

Canon EOS 40D,30D, Canon 70-200 2.8L, 24-70 2.8L, 85 1.8, Canon extension tube, Elinchrom Lighting gear, 
Website (external link)

Quad-Response
716 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Feb 09, 2011 14:20 |  #5

HP are basically a Packard-bell for which I have always tried to avoid (computer techy for more years than I care to remember). I would go for the Mac any day. Been a PC guy since day one but am thinking of making the move soon.

Chris
Canon EOS 1D Mark II for Sale - £450.00 ONO - PM For Details or see the Members Market

TTk
Goldmember
2,518 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Feb 09, 2011 14:26 |  #6

Quad-Response wrote in post #11809856 (external link)
HP are basically a Packard-bell for which I have always tried to avoid (computer techy for more years than I care to remember). I would go for the Mac any day. Been a PC guy since day one but am thinking of making the move soon.

You wont regret it, I havn't..;)

Terry.:cool:
http://www.terrykirton.co/ (external link)
http://www.ttkphotogra​phy.com/ (external link)
http://www.langtoftpho​tography.com/ (external link)

(external link)

tommmy.star
THREAD ­ STARTER
294 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Feb 09, 2011 14:28 as a reply to  @ Damian75's post |  #7

The OS itself doesn't really bother me. I am quite quick on the uptake and thus not worried about the whole OS relearnig curve.

Regardless of the OS differences and upgradeability issues, I would really like to know which machine would you go for guys. HP or i Mac? or maybe something else altoghether.

You are a photohrapher who hates to see the green bar progress snailing right whilst you're impatiently waiting for the image to pop up on the screen or the filter to take effect. You want speed and the knowledge that ...let's say 2 years down the line you still will be able to perform some magic in CS6:)

If I go for HP, is this monitor any good( Dell U2311 23" )
What features does a good monitor have ?

Please help me guys.

Canon 5DIII |Canon 30mm f2 | Canon 85mm f1.2L |Canon 100mm f2.4L| Canon 70-200mm f2.8II L

koolcreation
656 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Feb 09, 2011 14:35 |  #8

You can check the apple website they have refurbished Macs and good prices and you can also purchase the apple care plan with them if you decided to go that route

5DMKII | 50mm 1.4 | 24-105 f/4 | Speedlights - Strobes |
Flickr (external link)
Instagram @KoolCreationPhoto (external link)

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,905 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Feb 09, 2011 14:40 |  #9

Damian75 wrote in post #11809812 (external link)
My choice would be the iMac but as with most of these decisions it really comes down to what OS you like.

There's also a software component, in particular, iLife, iWork, Final Cut, Aperture and Pixelmator, none of which run under Windows.

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

tommmy.star
THREAD ­ STARTER
294 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Feb 09, 2011 16:44 as a reply to  @ Tony-S's post |  #10

I know it may seem a dumb question for some here, but which processor is better/newer/faster for cs5 (considering 8gb ram) I realise 3.4>2.93 . I just dont want to spend all this hard earned money on imac knowing that I could've had better specs going with anu other brand. OHHH! it's such a difficult decision to make.

2.93GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 or Intel® Core™ i7-2600 (3.40 GHz)?

Analog6
565 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 09, 2011 16:50 |  #11

iMac for me every time, no matter what bells and whistles the PC has

Odille
---------------
My Facebook (external link) / Photo Blog (external link) / RedBubble shop (external link) / My Calendars (external link)

Moppie
15,051 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Feb 09, 2011 18:58 |  #12

tommmy.star wrote in post #11809487 (external link)
Hi everybody,

I've been seriously thinking recently about upgrading to a new desktop. I spend more and more time doing photography and my 3 yr old Vaio laptop just can't handle things any more (mostly CS5).

My budget is sth around £1500 - £2000.

My first thought (prior to any research) was 27"iMac with i7 and 8gb ram - £2012
Then I found [/NOPARSE]
http://www.currys.co.u​k …e-590uk-08702358-pdt.html (external link)
It's got i7 2600, 8gb ram, 1.5TB HD and nVIDIA GeForce GT420 with PureVideo®
2GB dedicated memory. All this for £1,099.99 .

How do they compare against each other. Which one has got more power and which one is more future proof?

Another thing is with money left over (if I go for HP) I need to purchase a monitor and I totally dont know wher to look for and what to look for. Do you think I can buy a good monitor for let's say £500-600. I love the iMac 27" display.Can this money buy me something similar?

Or...would you go for something completely different, maybe wait for a new release of iMacs?

any help, advice and suggestions greatly appreciated.

The HP will run rings around the iMac, however if your not shooting large numbers of photos professionally, then you may not need the extra performance.

What the iMac does lack though is a proper desktop form factor.
Like all All in Ones, it has only a single internal hard drive that is not user upgradable, and when it comes time for a new one you have to replace the whole lot, including the lovely monitor that is built into it.

If your serious about a proper photography work station then you need to look at a proper desktop computer.
That means 2 or 3 internal drives that can be upgraded when you need more space. This also provides for a separate scratch disc and allows you to keep your photos on their own dedicated drive or drives to help with back ups and redundancy.
The CPU should be an i5 or i7 quad core and 4-8GB of ram depending on your files sizes and volume of work.

flickr (external link)

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

Now more than ever we need to be a community, working together and for each other, as photographers, as lovers of photography and as members of POTN.

dba1954
194 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 13, 2011 08:59 as a reply to  @ Moppie's post |  #13

I admit that am into computers as well as Photography so the choice was easy for me. I chose to build a computer so that it had everything I wanted. Buying a computer limits you severely in respect to upgrades. I went with a gigabit board that supports RAID to protect my data/photos. I have 5 - 1 terabyte drives configures as RAID 0+1 (striped and mirrored) for redundancy (and 1 hot spare in case I lose a drive) and performance. I have a good video card and 16 gig of memory. Going this way I was able to put it together along with a 24" Dell monitor for under $1500 US. Building really doesn't take a lot of computer savy and you can really put together a superior system....

PS.. while the board I chose supports i7 and i5 processors I went witht he i5 to save a few hundred ....didn't see the point inthe i7 given the cost.

5DMK2, | 50mm f1.4 | 24-105mm f4.0L | 100mm f2.8L | 100mm f2.8L | 70-200mm f2.8L | 70-300mm f2.8L IS | EF 2x II | EF 1.4 II | Kenko's | Sigma EF-500 DG Super flash | Canon 270ex II flash | Canon 430ex III flash

shmoogy
505 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Feb 13, 2011 11:23 |  #14

If you're doing video editing, the hyper threading on i7s may be worth the additional cost, for photographs, it's pretty much for benchmarking purposes.

5D Mark II, 35L, 24 TS-E, 50 1.8
Canon 1000D

Moppie
15,051 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Feb 13, 2011 14:20 |  #15

shmoogy wrote in post #11834516 (external link)
If you're doing video editing, the hyper threading on i7s may be worth the additional cost, for photographs, it's pretty much for benchmarking purposes.

Lightroom (ACR) and dpp will both use as many threads as they can get hold of when importing, exporting and batching. An i7 will make a considerable difference if your handling more than one photo at a time.

flickr (external link)

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

Now more than ever we need to be a community, working together and for each other, as photographers, as lovers of photography and as members of POTN.

sponsored links

5,407 views & 0 likes for this thread
this HP or imac 27" what would you choose?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.