Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 28 Jan 2011 (Friday) 15:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

patch.com

trythis
363 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Jan 28, 2011 15:03 |  #1

I have an opportunity to do freelance work for this new community news website.

AOL has launched it. The model is an on-line, community based, news website. If you go to Patch.com you can see the states where they have patch communities and then you can select the community that you want to look at.

There is a contract that I would have to sign that gives them copyright to my sold photos. They will pay me a set price for the photos. They will pay me into my paypal account. I need to give them a W-9.

I came across it honestly, I was shooting a basketball game and saw a reporter and asked him if he would need some photos. Gave him my card and talked to him a bit. He was the editor for a Patch.com community. He gave my name to the editor to the community where I live and she called me.

It all seems pretty cool. Anyone else heard of them or doing any freelance for them?

If I give them the copyright on my photo does that mean that I can not put it on my website?

Canon 60D|Canon Rebel EOS T1i|50mm f/1.8|28-70mm f/2.8|18-55 f/3.5-5.6|70-200mm IS f/2.8 |600EX Speedlite
http://jennifersilas.s​mugmug.com/ (external link)

sponsored links
TopHatMoments
Goldmember
1,173 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jan 28, 2011 17:28 |  #2

Looks like you take all the risk, do all the work and they make all the money.
All I did was glance over there terms, requirements and policy.

If the info they send you is bad and you get in a predicament with it, your on your own.
Anything that goes wrong when your doing something for them, your on your own.
Cause them hardship over an article you create and ( can you guess? ) your on your own and they will look to you for damages.

Good luck and have fun.

Canon to PhotoShop, “Beam me up”! LR3 set course for CS5, Warp speed 64!___ ((dpp___/==***^***

holland_patrick
810 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 28, 2011 19:28 |  #3

I've worked for them for over two years now it's pretty much the same as any other paper.. they want all rights to what you give them. I have shot for some of the mid-sized papers here in CT and the patch pays better then them but still it's very very low on the pay scale.

Rebel XT,1D Mark IIN
Canon 100-400L, 17-40 4.0L, 50 1.8,200 2.8L
70-200 2.8 IS L
Simga 30 1.4, SIGMA 50 1.4
http://www.photocastne​twork.com/ (external link)

trythis
THREAD ­ STARTER
363 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jan 28, 2011 19:51 |  #4

The contract is just a three month deal, that either party can break. So I'm going to give it a shot. I won't be writing any articles, just taking pictures for "happenings" so I don't see where I would do anything that could get me in trouble, but I think your comments will give me greater concern and will consider more when I edit what I submit.

Canon 60D|Canon Rebel EOS T1i|50mm f/1.8|28-70mm f/2.8|18-55 f/3.5-5.6|70-200mm IS f/2.8 |600EX Speedlite

TopHatMoments
Goldmember
1,173 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jan 28, 2011 21:12 |  #5

I would simply suggest, you read there web site front to back and all pages in-between.

Canon to PhotoShop, “Beam me up”! LR3 set course for CS5, Warp speed 64!___ ((dpp___/==***^***

J.Napier
886 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 29, 2011 12:59 |  #6

Patch.com seems to be getting alot of feedback of late. Theres atleast three recent treads going on right now at sportshooter.com and most of it is not good. I first started seeing thier photogs last fall at football playoffs.
Might be worth your reading before making a decession.

http://www.sportsshoot​er.com/message_index.h​tml (external link)

Jeff
Gear List
www.jni-ss.com / (external link)Blog (external link)
Sportshooterpage (external link) / Maxpreps (external link)
Facebook  (external link)/

trythis
THREAD ­ STARTER
363 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jan 29, 2011 20:18 |  #7

J.Napier wrote in post #11737692 (external link)
Patch.com seems to be getting alot of feedback of late. Theres atleast three recent treads going on right now at sportshooter.com and most of it is not good. I first started seeing thier photogs last fall at football playoffs.
Might be worth your reading before making a decession.

http://www.sportsshoot​er.com/message_index.h​tml (external link)

Thank you for the link. I really appreciate it. I feel like I would be going in with my eyes wide open.

The thing is, I am one of those amatuers who is willing to take $50 a week for a photo. I haven't ever sold a photo before. I am agreeing to give them photos but I am not going out on assignments. It is just a "happenings" gallery. So I pretty much would shoot where I am and what I see in my community. I haven't yet signed the contract. I don't like that I am giving them full rights to the photo.

Here is a question. If I took three frames of the same shot, sold them one, would I have the rights to the other two frames to sell elsewhere?

Rekd
199 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 09, 2011 18:48 |  #8

I believe their contract states that anything you take on the day of the shoot at the location of the shoot belongs to them, whether you submit it to them or not. This will help them reduce the double dipping some people do with papers/magazines by taking slightly different picts of the same thing and selling them to different outlets.

The exclusivity portion of the contract is for 90 days. After that you can use the photos. For 'event' shooters they ask you to cover an event and provide photos. You don't have to cover the entire event as long as you can get good shots of it.

If you're ok with the terms and can shoot/process quickly it could be a good gig.

What's in your (external link) sippy cup?
My stuff:
A low-light hi-def rapid shooter, a sniper, a couple old school 35s.

Some L, a nifty f/1.4, a kit IS, some slow EFs and two crappy Qs.

trythis
THREAD ­ STARTER
363 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Feb 09, 2011 18:52 |  #9

Their system for sending in the photos is really simple, upload, edit, approve and go. And payment was prompt.

35mmNewbie
Goldmember
2,127 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 09, 2011 18:58 |  #10

holland_patrick wrote in post #11734181 (external link)
I've worked for them for over two years now it's pretty much the same as any other paper.. they want all rights to what you give them. I have shot for some of the mid-sized papers here in CT and the patch pays better then them but still it's very very low on the pay scale.

Ditto. Ill shot for them if they ask and I have free time only.

Bryan
20D; 70-200 f4; YN-560; Genesis 200 Strobe w/ 43" Umbrella; 43" 5 in 1 Reflector;

canonnoob
Cream of the Crop
8,487 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Feb 09, 2011 19:08 |  #11

read these:

http://www.sportsshoot​er.com …ge_display.html​?tid=37037 (external link)
http://www.sportsshoot​er.com …ge_display.html​?tid=37584 (external link)
http://www.sportsshoot​er.com …ge_display.html​?tid=37614 (external link)
http://www.sportsshoot​er.com …e_display.html?​tid=37650\ (external link)

Sorry, But patch.com is not a good option for any photographer.

David W.

35mmNewbie
Goldmember
2,127 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 09, 2011 19:12 |  #12

canonnoob wrote in post #11811668 (external link)
Sorry, But patch.com is not a good option for any photographer.

It is for those entry level photographers who don't know how to market them selves as a professional and are happy getting paid 50$ per game haha.

Bryan
20D; 70-200 f4; YN-560; Genesis 200 Strobe w/ 43" Umbrella; 43" 5 in 1 Reflector;

canonnoob
Cream of the Crop
8,487 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Feb 09, 2011 23:27 |  #13

35mmNewbie wrote in post #11811684 (external link)
It is for those entry level photographers who don't know how to market them selves as a professional and are happy getting paid 50$ per game haha.

haha.... not really.. considering patch/aol has cut all of their freelance budget.. just saying..

David W.

MJPhotos24
Cream of the Crop
5,619 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Feb 09, 2011 23:30 as a reply to  @ 35mmNewbie's post |  #14

Patch.com is a scam, it takes advantage of local wannabes.

/fin

Freelance Photographer & Co-founder of Four Seam Images
Mike Janes Photography (external link) - Four Seam Images LLC (external link)
FSI is a baseball oriented photo agency and official licensee of MiLB/MLB.
@FourSeamImages (instagram/twitter)
@MikeJanesPhotography (instagram)
@MikeJanesPhotog (twitter)

35mmNewbie
Goldmember
2,127 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 10, 2011 13:47 |  #15

canonnoob wrote in post #11813202 (external link)
haha.... not really.. considering patch/aol has cut all of their freelance budget.. just saying..

Maybe only certain parts, just had some one from patch come into my job yesterday and he was getting 50bucks per job they assigned him.

MJPhotos24 wrote in post #11813219 (external link)
Patch.com is a scam, it takes advantage of local wannabes.

/fin

absolutely

Bryan

sponsored links

3,461 views & 0 likes for this thread
patch.com
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.