Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 09 Feb 2011 (Wednesday) 15:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

new 7D annoyances

ssctac
99 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Feb 09, 2011 15:55 |  #1

Just got my new 7D a couple hours ago. Thing just looks and feels great!

However, the first two things I noticed are:
1. Eyecup: seems a little loose. The eyecup on my 60D was on so tight I didn't even know it could come off.

2. Rattle in pop-up/internal flash: I hear a rattle in it. When the flash is popped up, it is pretty much gone. Must be the hinges, etc.

These are not big issues but just annoyances that I didn't have with my 60D. I guess I expected it to be flawless since this is the most I have spent on a camera body and the camera I have been coveting for so long. :)

Do any of you 7D owners have similar issues?

6D/ 24-105L/ S100

sponsored links
edofloat
848 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Feb 09, 2011 16:12 |  #2

ssctac wrote in post #11810533 (external link)

1. Eyecup: seems a little loose. The eyecup on my 60D was on so tight I didn't even know it could come off.

2. Rattle in pop-up/internal flash: I hear a rattle in it. When the flash is popped up, it is pretty much gone. Must be the hinges, etc.

These are not big issues but just annoyances that I didn't have with my 60D. I guess I expected it to be flawless since this is the most I have spent on a camera body and the camera I have been coveting for so long. :)

1. The eye cup problem is well documented, mine is loose too but stays on just fine. I also got the anti fog eye cup and yes that one is even looser than the original and that stays ons too.

2. Not sure on the rattle problem, I don't have that one so I've never looked into it.

Good Luck and congrats!

|Gear | Feedback

themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 09, 2011 16:13 |  #3

1. It use to be snug for me, then I took it off a couple times and now it is super loose. I just leave it off most of the time.

2. I don't think mine rattles.

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

Voaky999
Goldmember
3,313 posts
Gallery: 797 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 09, 2011 16:21 |  #4

The eyecup is loose on both of mine but seems secure. I do take them off from time to time when doing long exposures and use the little dooda to cover the viewfinder. No problems yet.

My flashes don't rattle.

Don
"Knowledge is Good" Emil Faber

ssctac
THREAD ­ STARTER
99 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Feb 09, 2011 16:32 |  #5

Thanks everyone. Ughhh...since it is brand new, I'm going to exchange it, hopefully replacement is not more quirky.

6D/ 24-105L/ S100

krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Location: Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together

Feb 09, 2011 16:34 |  #6

A rattle in the flash would worry me. Best to return the camera or send it in under warranty.

My eyecup was just a little loose but not enough to really be noticeable during use. I had a couple instances of the diopter wheel somehow getting moved to a different setting so I cover the wheel with gaffer tape, which has taken care of the looseness in the eyecup.

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,316 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 09, 2011 16:36 as a reply to  @ post 11810777 |  #7

The eyecup on the 7D is the same as the one used by the 1D Mark III, for example. Instead of just being pushed on, and thus required to sit tight to not fall off, like they are on cameras like the 60D and simpler, this one has real hooks that hold it in place. Without pressing on the sides, to release the hooks, I almost need a crowbar to remove mine. Thus it doesn't need to sit so tight - it doesn't fall off anyway, like those on a 60D does, since sitting tight doesn't help.

The only thing that makes the eyecup on the 7D fall off is ignorant (i.e. they don't check for the proper removal procedure in the manual) users, who remove it by force and break the hooks. Then it's a problem that it's loose, since the hooks to keep it there are no longer functional.

Anders

mark2009
Goldmember
2,001 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 09, 2011 16:39 |  #8

Can I ask what the 60D did not do for you? Reason you upgraded to the 7D?

ssctac
THREAD ­ STARTER
99 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Feb 09, 2011 17:10 |  #9

mark2009 wrote in post #11810834 (external link)
Can I ask what the 60D did not do for you? Reason you upgraded to the 7D?

Primarily the build (weather sealing) and it is what I initially wanted. I snowboard and mountain bike a lot; wasn't sure how the 60D would handle in the elements. Would have loved to have kept the 60D and get a 7D.

6D/ 24-105L/ S100

John ­ Hayes
188 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 10, 2011 00:28 |  #10

No and mine is a year old.

Like me on Facebook (external link)

Website (external link)

jaycky
Goldmember
2,089 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Feb 10, 2011 00:32 |  #11

rattle in flash i would get looked at with warranty i don't have that issue

5DM2 /grip Lots Of L's
measurbating f-stops
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/52633882@N07/ (external link)
http://about.me/jbmpho​tos (external link)
http://photobyfish.tum​blr.com/archive (external link)

Vroom_fondel
196 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Feb 10, 2011 00:49 |  #12

jaycky wrote in post #11813487 (external link)
rattle in flash i would get looked at with warranty i don't have that issue

+1

The loose eyecup is apparently more or less normal but I'd have the rattling looked into.

That’s the difference between me and the rest of the world. Happiness isn’t good enough for me, I demand euphoria!
New and improvedGear List and loads of doggie pics (external link)

jaycky
Goldmember
2,089 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Feb 10, 2011 01:01 |  #13

loose eyecup meh its trivial to me as long as it doesn't come off on its own i am loving this camera

5DM2 /grip Lots Of L's
measurbating f-stops
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/52633882@N07/ (external link)
http://about.me/jbmpho​tos (external link)
http://photobyfish.tum​blr.com/archive (external link)

stevewf1
815 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Feb 10, 2011 03:45 |  #14

This is really interesting... The eyecup on my T2i is good and tight and the flash doesn't rattle at all.

Steve

sth_
811 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 10, 2011 03:57 |  #15

stevewf1 wrote in post #11813892 (external link)
This is really interesting... The eyecup on my T2i is good and tight

It used to be like that too on my XSi. Unfortunately, due to the way the eyecup is secured on these cameras, it tends to get loose over time and I'm now on my second replacement eyecup already.

My completely outdated Flickr (external link) :: Gear

sponsored links

6,698 views & 0 likes for this thread
new 7D annoyances
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.