Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Jan 2011 (Monday) 18:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7d actuation count

solara
620 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Feb 09, 2011 18:32 |  #16

Btw, the camera doesn't seem to track the shutter count while the camera is hooked up to the computer for some reason.

Once I removed it from the computer and fired off some shots, the shutter count then went up accordingly. Just FYI.

5D III, 7D | 17-55 f/2.8 | 16-35 f/4 | 24-105 f/4 | 85 f/1.8 | 135 f/2 | 70-200 f/4 IS | 580EX II | YN-560 | Manfrotto 190XPROB+498RC2

sponsored links
solara
620 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Feb 09, 2011 19:29 |  #17

Okay, now this is just too bizarre. Apparently, my installation of Ubuntu on the USB drive didn't keep the changes and installed programs I had on it (logial since the whole Ubuntu is in an iso file).

But after loading Synaptic Package Manager again, gphoto2 and gtkam are not listed, so I can't install either one (it has the older version of libgphoto 2.4.8 though). I tried re-doing what I did the first time (basically running around in circles trying to configure the downloaded packages and running into errors).

Now I consider myself rather computer savvy - but all this jumping through hoops to install such a simple program.....it sure seems rather unrefined. I understand the whole /.configure, make, make install...but gez, how hard is it to install this thing.

5D III, 7D | 17-55 f/2.8 | 16-35 f/4 | 24-105 f/4 | 85 f/1.8 | 135 f/2 | 70-200 f/4 IS | 580EX II | YN-560 | Manfrotto 190XPROB+498RC2

kendon
839 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Feb 10, 2011 01:23 |  #18

solara wrote in post #11811789 (external link)
but gez, how hard is it to install this thing.

not at all.

kendon wrote in post #11810505 (external link)
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install gphoto2

7D, EF-S 10-22, EF-S 17-55, EF 70-200/4 IS, NiftyFifty, 580EXII, Σ 30 EX DC, Walimex 8mm Fisheye, MD Rokkor 50/1.4, BendyCam (external link), Gallery (external link)

solara
620 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Feb 10, 2011 01:47 |  #19

Okay I finally got it to work. Here are the steps in case someone else wants to get their shutter actuations without having to learn too much about Linux.

1- Download Ubuntu 10.10 (I got the 32-bit version): http://www.ubuntu.com/​desktop/get-ubuntu/download (external link)

2- Burn the ISO image to a CD (you can install to your hard drive after booting from the Ubuntu CD), or make a bootable USB drive like I did for faster boot-up times. I created the bootable USB drive using Universal USB Installer: http://www.pendrivelin​ux.com …-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/ (external link)

Note that the Universal USB Installer has an option to create a Persistence file. This enables any changes/programs you make to the Ubuntu environment to persist after a reboot. Otherwise, any programs you install (gphoto2, etc.) will disappear after rebooting the USB drive (like booting from the CD as well). I actually tried to create a Persistence file but for some reason Ubuntu wouldn't completely load up for me ... that's a problem for another day.

3- Download the following .DEV files (basically Ubuntu installation files): libexif-gtk5 and gtkam. GTKAM is the graphical user interface for libgphoto, and gphoto2 is the commandline version.

http://packages.ubuntu​.com/natty/libexif-gtk5 (external link)
http://packages.ubuntu​.com/natty/gtkam (external link)

Once you've booted into Ubuntu, open up a file manager (just double-click on one of the drive icons on the Ubuntu desktop) and navigate to the drive where you've downloaded those two .dev files and double-click on them. This will launch Ubuntu Software Center and you can then install them (libexif-gtk5 first, and then gtkam).

And that's it. You actually don't have to install gphoto2 for gtkam to work (and the core files libgphoto2 are already a part of the Ubuntu 10.10 package - though it's an older version). Plug in your camera to the USB port, then unmount it (there's a button for that command on the pop-up window that will appear when you plug in the camera). Launch gtkam (it's under Applications > Graphics on the pull-down menu), scan for your camera if it doesn't appear automatically, and right click on it and choose 'View Camera Preferences'.

If you want the latest gphoto2 and libgphoto2, you can download the respective .dev files from the same ubuntu site I listed above (I used all the Natty versions). Note that you will also need to download libcdk5.dev for gphoto2 to install, and libgphoto2 requires libgphoto2-port0.dev and libjpeg62.dev.

So coming from a Windows background, I found using .DEV files the easiest way to install these programs in Ubuntu.

solara
620 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Feb 10, 2011 01:57 |  #20

@kendon

I actually already tried that and while the apt-get update worked, I got an error when trying to do 'sudo apt-get install gphoto2'

Package gphoto2 is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

This is with Ubuntu 10.10 32-bit version. Also tried it for gtkam but got the same error.

rweav72
137 posts
Joined May 2009

Feb 10, 2011 07:59 |  #21

Consider a WUBI ( Windows Based Ubuntu Installer) install. Stick the CD in while you are in windows. Find the WUBI installer file on the cd, double click and follow the installation boxes that come up. REMOVE the CD before you reboot and you will have new dual boot option once the computer installs. Go to the Ubuntu option and the installation will be completed. Then you can download what you need after that.

Ron Weaver
Canon 7D, 50D, 1D classic, Sigma 50 1.4, Canon 85 1.8, Tamron 17-50 2.8, 28-75 2.8, Canon 70-200L 2.8 non IS
Nissan 622, Vivitar 383, Yongnuo 560 (3)

kendon
839 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Feb 10, 2011 10:01 |  #22

solara wrote in post #11813699 (external link)
@kendon

I actually already tried that and while the apt-get update worked, I got an error when trying to do 'sudo apt-get install gphoto2'

This is with Ubuntu 10.10 32-bit version. Also tried it for gtkam but got the same error.

this is strange, i'm pretty sure i tried with 10.10 and it worked. did you enable all software sources? edit: i just read in a german dslr forum that it is in the "universe" source: https://help.ubuntu.co​m/community/Repositori​es/Ubuntu (external link)

i don't use non-lts versions of ubuntu anymore, and cba to upgrade every 6 months, so still on 10.04, but i will check my vm when back at home (currently on a skitrip :D)

nice find with gtkam tho, most linux newbies will probably prefer a way to get the shuttercount without the need to use the terminal.

7D, EF-S 10-22, EF-S 17-55, EF 70-200/4 IS, NiftyFifty, 580EXII, Σ 30 EX DC, Walimex 8mm Fisheye, MD Rokkor 50/1.4, BendyCam (external link), Gallery (external link)

solara
620 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Feb 10, 2011 11:32 |  #23

rweav72 wrote in post #11814533 (external link)
Consider a WUBI ( Windows Based Ubuntu Installer) install. Stick the CD in while you are in windows. Find the WUBI installer file on the cd, double click and follow the installation boxes that come up. REMOVE the CD before you reboot and you will have new dual boot option once the computer installs. Go to the Ubuntu option and the installation will be completed. Then you can download what you need after that.

The actual installation of Ubuntu is not the problem. It's installing additional programs that was a problem. Plus, I actually don't want a hard-drive based Linux installation since I only wanted to run gtkam or gphoto2 to access the Canon 7D's shutter actuation number.

solara
620 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Feb 11, 2011 11:31 |  #24

Just FYI, I recreated the Ubuntu bootable USB drive with Universal USB Installer and enabled the option to create a Persistent file, and this time it booted up fine.

I was able to install GTKAM, the latest GPHOTO2, and updated LIBGPHOTO. Rebooted the USB drive, and the programs were still installed.

So now I have a bootable USB drive with Ubuntu that has the programs installed.

Since it's easy enough to install this program using the .DEV files, I see no reason why anyone who's selling a used 7D or T2i, etc. should not reveal the actuation count from this program. And any buyer should demand this information before buying.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,459 posts
Gallery: 116 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Feb 11, 2011 11:55 |  #25

solara wrote in post #11822836 (external link)
Just FYI, I recreated the Ubuntu bootable USB drive with Universal USB Installer and enabled the option to create a Persistent file, and this time it booted up fine.

I was able to install GTKAM, the latest GPHOTO2, and updated LIBGPHOTO. Rebooted the USB drive, and the programs were still installed.

So now I have a bootable USB drive with Ubuntu that has the programs installed.

Since it's easy enough to install this program using the .DEV files, I see no reason why anyone who's selling a used 7D or T2i, etc. should not reveal the actuation count from this program. And any buyer should demand this information before buying.

First of all the shutter count, for the most part, is not indicative of what to expect from the camera and also people may not want to learn how to create a new bootable OS mechanism with installation of programs just to run it to get shutter counts.

I applaud the effort, but to use words like "I don't see why..." and "buyers should demand...." is frankly a bit over the top, IMO.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

spotz04
Goldmember
1,971 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 11, 2011 12:09 |  #26

TeamSpeed wrote in post #11823001 (external link)
I applaud the effort, but to use words like "I don't see why..." and "buyers should demand...." is frankly a bit over the top, IMO.

It's not over the top at all, IMO. Just another tool for the buyer to use as to keep the seller honest. ;)

solara
620 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Feb 11, 2011 12:27 |  #27

I wouldn't buy a used car without knowing the total mileage on it. And total mileage is not the only indicator of it's condition, but it's an important one.

Same with shutter count. It's the only real part of a camera that has a limited lifespan and should be known when buying a used camera. But if someone wants to buy a used camera and does not care, then Buyer Beware and Tough Luck to them.

But just letting people know it's relatively simple to now obtain the actual actuation count from a 7D, so they can make a more informed decision.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,459 posts
Joined May 2002

Feb 11, 2011 12:42 |  #28

spotz04 wrote in post #11823097 (external link)
It's not over the top at all, IMO. Just another tool for the buyer to use as to keep the seller honest. ;)

If anyone demands that I as a seller go through these hoops to get them a shutter count, they might as well just not ask. If there is just a little program to load up and attach the camera to the computer to get the count, that is one thing, but to load up linux boot utilities and burn a CD with a boot image, load up apps inside that yet, etc. ain't goin' to happen... :)

Or I guess I could add a $25 inconvenience fee, which sounds better to me.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,459 posts
Joined May 2002

Feb 11, 2011 12:45 |  #29

solara wrote in post #11823228 (external link)
I wouldn't buy a used car without knowing the total mileage on it. And total mileage is not the only indicator of it's condition, but it's an important one.

Same with shutter count. It's the only real part of a camera that has a limited lifespan and should be known when buying a used camera. But if someone wants to buy a used camera and does not care, then Buyer Beware and Tough Luck to them.

But just letting people know it's relatively simple to now obtain the actual actuation count from a 7D, so they can make a more informed decision.

It is not that simple, just because you can do it, doesn't mean everyone else can. And shutter count MEANS VERY LITTLE. You can have 5K clicks and have the shutter go out at 5,001, or have a camera with 234,000 clicks and still going strong.

Like I just said, if a buyer wants me, should I ever sell a 7D again, to go through this, they will either burn the CD that will work with my system and mail it to me, or they will be charged an inconvenience fee.

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,933 posts
Gallery: 1741 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Feb 11, 2011 13:04 |  #30

Yep, I'm with Teamspeed on this one. The used market is a buyers beware just as much as sellers beware. The shutter can go at any time. Just because it's rated to be a certain number... doesn't mean it's guaranteed. And I wouldn't be surprised if Canon charges repair fees once it's out of 1-year warranty, regardless of 5,000 clicks, or 500,000 clicks.

If I was selling my 7D, I'd let them know that I've got about 21,500 clicks on it already. (it has rolled over 2x and I'm in the 1500's range in file number again). And if they can't take that as the truth... well, move along, I'm sure there will be others who might roll through the mud and jump through the hurdles. I find no reasons to lie about the equipment that I'm selling. But perhaps others do. :D

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

sponsored links

43,939 views & 0 likes for this thread
7d actuation count
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.